Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan's Beard Weekends: Transphobia III: The Sorceror

Started by madhair60, February 11, 2020, 09:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicoMNKN

Quote from: phantom_power on March 20, 2020, 11:38:43 AM
Glinner has the best allies:

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaunysaurus/status/1240963038867570688

I see Ross is now taking the "this is not a simple binary issue" stance.  Which would be fine had he not attacked Jon Ronson for taking the same position, and done so after supporting someone who has no sense of a middle ground.  I actually see binary thinking as Glinner's main problem - see also Limmy's talking about his pro-piracy stance, and his Letter To My Younger Self about going from "extremely religious" to atheist.

Anyway, Graham-the-moderate has now followed Julia Hartley-Brewer.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 20, 2020, 10:51:33 AM
You may as well blame Gary Glitter's child abuse on his fondness for flamboyant clothing.

That seems fair though.

I fucking HATE this cunt. Ross and Bragg having a polite exchange of ideas, acknowledging the complexities and concerns, agreeing to disagree in a civilised manner, then Linehan immediately steamrollers in with his dogmatic, sanctimonious invective, telling BB that he should be ashamed of betraying women, etc etc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Thursday on March 19, 2020, 07:54:35 PM
It's more that I took exception to the tone of the way he responded when a "not really fair when they were a pre-existing group" would have done. Rather than saying it was pathetic.

Whereas you are renowned for your subtlety and would never entertain the thought of making barbed comments aimed at others!

You accept you didn't bother to do a basic cursory check on the band in question before making your comments, and so presumably you can appreciate why you didn't receive the responses you were hoping.

Calling me a prick is a step above my calling those remarks pathetic.

I accept the apology you owe.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Small Potatoes on March 20, 2020, 12:32:23 PM
I fucking HATE this cunt. Ross and Bragg having a polite exchange of ideas, acknowledging the complexities and concerns, agreeing to disagree in a civilised manner, then Linehan immediately steamrollers in with his dogmatic, sanctimonious invective, telling BB that he should be ashamed of betraying women, etc etc.

Haha, fucking hell, Baz Admin wasn't wrong. Ross must be feeling very Gob Bluth GIF.

idunnosomename

ah well, are graham has lost his rag and is shouting "beard" at lots of men on twitter, so perhaps that will change Mr Ross's mind back to allegiance with him.

Glinner hasn't got even a shred of rag anymore. It's all just feigned jollity and manipulative support, until the mist inevitably descends and he snaps (again).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Small Potatoes on March 20, 2020, 12:32:23 PM

That polite exchange between Ross and Bragg was actually quite nice. For a brief moment I thought to myself, "Ah, how refreshing it is to see someone sincerely apologising for being wrong. Maybe we're not completely fucked as a species after all."

And then Glinner's mob of bigots hoved in to scream at Ross for daring to apologise to a DEFINITE MISOGYNIST. Sigh.

idunnosomename

yeah true. everything he does that isnt about WOMENS SEX BASED RIGHTS seems so artificial and forced now, like he's trying to pretend to be a regular person. he is truly, utterly mental.

Good news, everyone! He's announced that he's "securing his account" again at midnight, so if you want to stay up-to-date with one man's seemingly-bottomless descent into pogonophobic, Billy-Bragg-baitin', utterly unnecessary and unhinged monomania, get those follow requests in now!

idunnosomename

oh look he's doing an evil laugh like a child on the internet in 1998. fuck off and "secure" your account you stupid cunt, although you should really delete it

phes

Amazing that there's a deadly pandemic ripping its way around the globe and he's still banging on about toilets, after tearing into the culpability of people who wouldn't make toilets the focus of their existence

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phes on March 20, 2020, 09:59:53 PM
Amazing that there's a deadly pandemic ripping its way around the globe and he's still banging on about toilets, after tearing into the culpability of people who wouldn't make toilets the focus of their existence

Now wash your handmaidens?

phes

Has he made a joke yet about a pub identifying as a hospital

lazyhour

I had a fleeting glance at the cover of the latest Viz and there's a headline about "WOKE STARS' BOGS" - something about the toilets of leftie celebrities, at a guess. But surely it's a sly nod to "woke stasi Borg" and is therefore a super-subtle bit of Glinner-bashing? Has anyone read it?

phantom_power

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 20, 2020, 05:59:01 PM
That polite exchange between Ross and Bragg was actually quite nice. For a brief moment I thought to myself, "Ah, how refreshing it is to see someone sincerely apologising for being wrong. Maybe we're not completely fucked as a species after all."

And then Glinner's mob of bigots hoved in to scream at Ross for daring to apologise to a DEFINITE MISOGYNIST. Sigh.

That's the worst thing, this assumption that anyone who disagrees with you must be some woman hating, rape apologist. It is truly a psychosis

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: phes on March 20, 2020, 09:59:53 PM

Sorrrrt of find this reassuring in a way, Graham's mental obsession with trans people is like the Canary in the mine, when even he stops talking about that because everything getting too heavy then we're REALLY fucked.

dissolute ocelot

Sadly if there's one person secure in self-isolation and 100% safe from COVID-19, it's Glinner.

Yeah he'll still be spouting his views on bogs and fannies to the radioactive cockroaches.

Plus ca change.

chrispmartha

Seems Billy Bragg is his latest target for a 'pile on' from his followers

canadagoose

Quote from: chrispmartha on March 23, 2020, 03:27:49 PM
Seems Billy Bragg is his latest target for a 'pile on' from his followers
Oh ffs, have that bunch got nothing better to worry about?

He's been siccing his acolytes onto BB for a few days now. The usual tactics, honed to perfection by Linehan's lengthy tantrum with Jon Ronson. "Why won't you debate, Billy?" "Billy, watch this video by some mentalist!" "Billy, read this article by this fringe weirdo!" "Billy why do you hate women?" Glinner gleefully retweeting and liking every act of cuntery by these absolute balloons. Dead soon, of an aneurysm hopefully.

DrGreggles

The idea that Billy Bragg would be in anyway concerned by Linehan and his bile buddies is quite laughable.
But hopefully it will inspire him to write a song about it.

Billy. if you're reading this, I've come up with an opening line for you.
"Linehan, you are such a fucking cunty man"

Fuck, that's the tune to 'Yesterday' isn't it...

Blumf

Quote from: canadagoose on March 23, 2020, 03:38:45 PM
Oh ffs, have that bunch got nothing better to worry about?

Apparently not...

Linked from Glinner: https://www.feministcurrent.com/2020/03/22/what-if-your-identity-doesnt-matter-at-all/
QuoteWhat if your identity doesn't matter at all?

Post-coronavirus, will a "My non-binary status is about life and death" seem more clearly like the joke it is?

I have noticed a distinct lack of identity politicky hot takes online since COVID-19 threw us all into turmoil, and am interested to see if, when we do return to a version of normalcy, our priorities are reordered. Post-coronavirus, will "My non-binary status is about life and death" seem more clearly like the joke it is? Or will we immediately forget our close call, and go back to the vapid narcissism that passes for politics this decade?

tl;dr "I read an interview with an idiot in GQ and now I'm adding to the noise like they're representative of anything"

Twit 2

I notice that Private Eye have put being non-binary in Pseud's Corner this week. It will be an interesting letters page next issue.

Edit: here it is

There's plenty in the quote itself that justifies inclusion in the column. None of the other entrants have their genders mentioned next to their name, so clearly PE think it's another affectation like being a Wiccan.

Jerzy Bondov

QuoteI have noticed a distinct lack of identity politicky hot takes online since COVID-19 threw us all into turmoil so I have decided to write one
Fixed

Gurke and Hare

Private Eye have been cunty on trans issues for as long as I can remember. It's one of the reasons I stopped buying it.

Jollity

I have seen people on other sites saying "if I do not get my hormones, it could make me suicidal", and the fact that that person who wrote the "non binary status" thing above would 100% tell that person to "just get over it" is pissing me off in my own head. The TERFs have absolutely no respect for the mentally ill - it's obvious in the way they call trans people "mentally ill" as an insult. Perhaps TERFs don't care about my mental illness, but it's pretty fucking important to me, and it's not been any better since we all got "real" problems. So they'll have to suffer it.

I'm in a bad mood.

phantom_power

Quote from: Blumf on March 23, 2020, 04:07:41 PM
Apparently not...

Linked from Glinner: https://www.feministcurrent.com/2020/03/22/what-if-your-identity-doesnt-matter-at-all/
tl;dr "I read an interview with an idiot in GQ and now I'm adding to the noise like they're representative of anything"

All it suggests is that during a pandemic that might kill thousands there are bigger fish to fry, and it appears "vapid narcissists" appreciate this but TERF cunts don't