Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan's Beard Weekends: Transphobia III: The Sorceror

Started by madhair60, February 11, 2020, 09:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: bigfatheart on March 29, 2020, 09:40:40 AM
Exactly. There's also 'pedrophiles' in the 'No Swearing' bit, and I'm pretty sure the Niamh Connolly episode mentions it too.

I seem to recall an episode where Dougal (slightly out of character I always thought) mentions problems with child abuse in the church to Ted in passing. Is that the Niamh Connolly one or another?

Agree that it wouldn't have worked for FT to focus on the subject any more than it did, (it would be so one dimensional and empty if it was constantly hammering home a All Priests = paedos LOL hack line) and that a character like Bishop Brennan radiates an aura of sinister systemic corruption that is all the more comedically and atmospherically effective for being left vague.

idunnosomename

i also think it's great how the actual business of church is almost entirely unseen in Ted. it'd be easy to get some location stuff inside a church (you could easily have found somewhere to pass as R.C. rather than using one of theirs) and some cheap laughs. it doesn't really matter that they are priests most of the time. they are just hapless persons in positions of authority, and mostly well-meaning (except Jack, who is a horrid old cunt)

bigfatheart

Definitely, it's almost like priests are a subculture within larger society, rather than a calling or a profession. It's as if all the priests were born priests and religion is entirely incidental to them.

phes

All blue tick men are getting a bashing from Graham for not sticking up for Alison Moyet. I haven't read the thread and I'm not going to because anything Graham is glommed onto becomes more depressing than Coronavirus, but it is funny how all men who don't speak up in support of his causes are traiters and cowards and all men who disagree with him don't know what they're talking about and have no place in the conversation.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blumf on March 29, 2020, 11:00:06 PM
Listed as Script Advisor on 10 episodes (he only produced 6):
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0673942/

And I'm still bummed out that we lost Perkins so early. Possibly one of the most important figures in late 20th century British comedy.
Yeah, I loved seeing him; maybe only once a year, but he really was the loveliest, kindest, funniest man. You've made me cry now, BASTARD.  (not actually bastard...  for 'comedy' effect).  I still have his phone number in my filofax (yes, that's how old I am. )

Jumblegraws

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/1244584812326912001?s=21
Quote from: GlincelHey everyone once again a group of anti-LGB loons are going for the @AllianceLGB and trying to remove their charitable status. Bev and Jane need your help so please throw them a follow and help them stand up to bearded bullies like @DavidPaisley.

Can't remove a charitable status that they don't have, Graybum. Also, lol at him calling David Paisley a "bearded bully" whilst @'ng him, all the easier for his GC goons to bother, that's a bit like complaining someone is "too fucking profane".

king_tubby

Loons? Yeah, just chuck in some mental health slurs too.

Barry Admin

To be fair, worse gets said on here, but people conveniently seem to miss it. How odd.

king_tubby

True, true, but no-one on here is claiming to be on the moral high ground whilst simultaneously leading a campaign to harm a vulnerable minority group.

bigfatheart

Nice of the TERFs to invent 'anti-LGB' to make it look, to casual observers, like criticism of them is homophobic, rather than it being a reaction to their own bigotry. Seems like it's not just funding they're picking up from the fundamentalist Christian right - they've borrowed their 'pro-life' style wording.

And yet in spite of all that, all I can focus on is 'bearded bullies'. How can he actually type that and not realise how absurd he's become?

Siccing his acolytes on Stephen Fry and Matt Lucas now, because they have appeared in a video for the Trans Visibility Day thing. Matt Lucas still REFUSES to watch the videos that Linehan has been sending him for a year, apparently. Bastard.

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 31, 2020, 11:47:01 AM
Champion feminist are graham here

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1244884628244176896?s=19

Not "exceptionally funny". Just funny.

Deleted. Or he's made his account private again. Can we start pasting in the tweets here for posterity?

daf

Quote from: Mister Six on March 31, 2020, 02:15:19 PM
Can we start pasting in the tweets here for posterity?

GL : Paula Prentiss popped up in a biography I'm reading and I had to Google to remember her. Oh my good Lord. [P.S. I am wanking as I write this!]
- - - - -
GL : Fucking hell, KATE and Bev. I used to date a Kate who had a sister named Jane so I have Kate/Jane dyslexia sometimes. [a smashing "pair"!!]
- - - - -
GL : This is a straight man. What has he got to do with LGB rights? [this doesn't apply to me, of course!!!]

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mister Six on March 31, 2020, 02:15:19 PM
Deleted. Or he's made his account private again. Can we start pasting in the tweets here for posterity?

Sebastian Cobb

jenna appleseed

Quote from: phes on March 30, 2020, 11:13:41 PM
All blue tick men are getting a bashing from Graham for not sticking up for Alison Moyet.

Do I want to know what Alison Moyet's said/done or will it destroy my ability to ever enjoy hearing any of her songs ever again?

semi off topic: listened to Trout Mask Replica yesterday (everything was already extra weird & surreal & disturbing so it felt like a perfect soundtrack)
surprised once again (just like when I noticed it he last time it got played) by the accidentally? pro female trans (eta: should that be Trans Female my brain's being a bit shit right now)  line in My Human Get Me Blues.

"... he never had a doll
'Cause everybody made him a boy
And God didn't think to ask his preference"

Captain Beefheart there in 1969.

Is there no way that we (I say we as if I give a fuck amymore).....

I mean real genuine friends he has.  We're talking your Chris Morris, Simon Pegg, Arthur Mathews, Steve Coogan.........etc......etc

More than anything those great people are probably embarrassed to fuck. And are therefor COWARDS

Quote from: RFT on March 30, 2020, 10:23:44 AM
I think, in terms of "how far they went in criticising the church", there's a danger of seeing things too much from a "now" perspective.

In Aisling Bea's Episode of Rule Of Three from a couple of years ago, she talks about how, even in the mid-90s, the church was still so ingrained in Irish culture and media that it was astonishing to her as a young Irish woman to see something sending up the church and the priesthood at all.

Aisling Bea would only have been about eleven in the mid-90s but fair dos, the point still stands.

Dewt

Quote from: jenna appleseed on April 02, 2020, 10:35:45 PM
Do I want to know what Alison Moyet's said/done or will it destroy my ability to ever enjoy hearing any of her songs ever again?
Let's just say that you would be better off not researching this further. I had the same quandary a couple of years ago.

phantom_power

At least she is a woman who seems to have some genuine feminist concerns and has been taken in a bit by the proper TERFs. I know, "genuine concerns", but I feel that hers actually are

tcat

She's a good egg, you're right phantom_power.

Linehan's paranoia is nothing new. Janice Raymond published the nasty book The Transsexual Empire in 1979. If you read that the seeds of everything they're saying now were already being said in public that far back.

damien

He's getting the shit kicked out of him today for various stuff

I sense it'll soon be time for a Zsa Zsa style flounce again

https://twitter.com/AdrianHarrop/status/1245987052073693185

idunnosomename

he had locked his account earlier today. jesus fuck this cunt is blowing up at home (his superpower lol)

Ferris

Nice bit of sealioning as well there. What a dilbert.