Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan's Beard Weekends: Transphobia III: The Sorceror

Started by madhair60, February 11, 2020, 09:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 11, 2020, 12:27:06 PM
This is really upsetting in a number of ways. Just to watch, that was a study in Visible Signs Of Anxiety And Distress. He's been radicalised into going on bloody Newsnight.

That's what this is, and I think it's fair to feel sorry for those who are radicalised as well as condemning their actions. As he loses moderate friends and supporters and Twitter followers, he tilts further away from them. The Daily Mail are a fine bunch of lads because they're on my side, this army of arseholes can't be all bad because at least they're there for me... He's positioning himself in opposition to 'the woke' and 'the Left', yesterday he retweeted some capital-A Athiest saying that criticising 'gender ideology' isn't transphobic in the same way criticising Islam isn't Islamophobic...

You can see it in his tweets over the past 12 hours. He's gone from initially defending Sarah Smith, to lightly ribbing Newsnight, to asking her to read something, to supportively retweeting something saying she was poorly researched, to directly harrassing her with his fucking "What about this?" routine. All thanks to the cheers of a bunch of arseholes egging him on, and no doubt also thanks to the jeers of another bunch of arseholes excited to call him a cunt. I fear the latter's having as much influence as the former, both nudging him further in the same bad direction.

Hard to know what he's feeling, but my initial reaction was of someone trying to contain their anger. The guy was up tweeting and mumsnetting until 4am, then back on it full-throttle bellowing bollocks at someone on twitter by 7am.

imitationleather

Yes it must have been hard for him to talk about this in arena where he wasn't allowed to use personal insults whenever challenged.

Enrico Palazzo

He came across as a massive cunt on Gameswipe. And that was talking about video games.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 11, 2020, 12:27:01 PM
Atheist feminist Glinner is going to end up like Ricky Gervais when he was horrified that the Daily Mail and Breitbart were praising his Golden Globes opening and then desperately trying to backpedal and distance himself by reminding his followers he's a liberal, honest.
while gervais is a narcissist hes still slightly self aware and compus mentis. Glinner will never backpedal, he'll just being more self-contradictory

Shaky

Quote from: Glebe on February 11, 2020, 12:08:33 PM
"This is a hinge moment in history, just like [with] the nazis."

What?

Hinge... Hinge & Brackett.... Men dressing as women... fans of leather, like the Nazis. Nazis were bad, if I mention them I get a point.

Moribunderast

That interview was fucked. I agree that it wasn't (just) nerves causing him to stammer and shake. You could see moments where he was holding himself from fury. Imagine what he's like when discussing this at the dinner table when cameras aren't around to stop him from screaming. I understand those who feel sorry for him, I really do. He's clearly unwell and painted himself into an awful corner but his own suffering pales into insignificance when put beside the suffering he's actively trying to put upon others. Glad to see him cop a bollocking. Also baffled that he's getting a chance to share his side with this shit. De-platform this fucking cunt.

Crabwalk

Not the most important take away I know, but what a weird, shitty package Newsnight made to open the interview with.

Crediting Glinner as 'the creator of Father Ted' rather than co-creator, picking an unrepresentative scene with Jack to convey the show, and then not showing the trans character in IT Crowd getting the absolute fuck knocked out of her.

Fisher Goes Berserk

filth gabs

I am increasingly reminded of Timothy treadwell from the Herzog's documentary 'the grizzly man'.

Timothy visits Alaska to spend time in the wild with wild bears. He convinces himself this is the only path to their preservation and anyone who disagrees is an enemy and actively wants to see the extermination of grizzlies.

There is a scene in the film (most footage is shot by timothy himself on a tripod) where he stands in a field, railing against his perceived enemies. He works himself into a furore, spitting 'fuck you!' At the viewers who he has built up as strawmen, high on his sense of moral certainty.

Glinner really seems like he has reached this point, standing alone in a field in Alaska, shouting through tears at all and sundry because *no one else understands except him*.

I wont spoil the ending of the film, its genuinely a good watch, but I wonder if Glinner will have a similar fate. Metaphorically of course.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sheesh. Looked like a bundle of nerves. Lots of anger, resentment, clearly nervous about how to express that on screen and out of his depth in doing so on a platform that doesn't have a ready supply of lackeys cheering him on.

Still, better than than actually calmly and professionally putting forward his alt right views, as the good ones manage to do.

Ferris

mr. logic

Quote from: filth gabs on February 11, 2020, 01:46:43 PM
I am increasingly reminded of Timothy treadwell from the Herzog's documentary 'the grizzly man'.

Timothy visits Alaska to spend time in the wild with wild bears. He convinces himself this is the only path to their preservation and anyone who disagrees is an enemy and actively wants to see the extermination of grizzlies.

There is a scene in the film (most footage is shot by timothy himself on a tripod) where he stands in a field, railing against his perceived enemies. He works himself into a furore, spitting 'fuck you!' At the viewers who he has built up as strawmen, high on his sense of moral certainty.

Glinner really seems like he has reached this point, standing alone in a field in Alaska, shouting through tears at all and sundry because *no one else understands except him*.

I wont spoil the ending of the film, its genuinely a good watch, but I wonder if Glinner will have a similar fate. Metaphorically of course.

Excellent post. Loved that.

QDRPHNC

Yes! I can see that too.

There's really no going back from this for Linehan, is there? Professionally or personally, I would imagine. It's going to end ugly.

Crabwalk

He's already begun martyring himself. It's a worrying trajectory for anyone to be on.

C_Larence

Helen, you must nevah look at zis tweetah feed 

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 11, 2020, 01:37:35 PM
Not the most important take away I know, but what a weird, shitty package Newsnight made to open the interview with.

Crediting Glinner as 'the creator of Father Ted' rather than co-creator, picking an unrepresentative scene with Jack to convey the show, and then not showing the trans character in IT Crowd getting the absolute fuck knocked out of her.

Showing the fight scene wouldn't make any sense out of context, whereas the clip they chose did. I thought it did a fairly impressive job of introducing who this is and what the blithering fuck it's all about. And I almost gasped when they introduced Twitter by showing a screenshot of his bonk-eyed cartoon crusader avatar and Harry Potter header.

thenoise

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 11, 2020, 02:03:59 PM
Yes! I can see that too.

There's really no going back from this for Linehan, is there? Professionally or personally, I would imagine. It's going to end ugly.

He just needs to quit Twitter. Go cold turkey. You survived without it before, it must be possible to do it again.

Not one tweet a day, you delusional addict. Cold turkey.

mippy

Even if my views fully aligned with him about this, I'd still think he needs to get the fuck off of Twitter. It's not right, is it?

Jockice

Eaten alive by transie types?

(I haven't seen it).

filth gabs

Also apologies but maybe 'there is a film where an idiot fucks about with bears but I won't spoil the ending' wasnt exactly enigma level encryption. Still, if you haven't seen it, it's worth it. Sorry to de-rail thread.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 11, 2020, 02:14:19 PM
Showing the fight scene wouldn't make any sense out of context, whereas the clip they chose did. I thought it did a fairly impressive job of introducing who this is and what the blithering fuck it's all about. And I almost gasped when they introduced Twitter by showing a screenshot of his bonk-eyed cartoon crusader avatar and Harry Potter header.

It'd be hard to see what people found offensive about the scene from that clip though. Without seeing the trans character in a broken heap on the floor after the fight, it'd probably look like a case of 'the woke lefties being overly sensitive as usual'.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: mippy on February 11, 2020, 11:27:07 AM
Making some cool friends https://imgur.com/a/ECwAKsh
Is this more reflective of a) the type of people who watch Newsnight regularly or b) the type of people who already think in similar terms to him about trans people?

Jockice

Quote from: filth gabs on February 11, 2020, 02:22:24 PM
Also apologies but maybe 'there is a film where an idiot fucks about with bears but I won't spoil the ending' wasnt exactly enigma level encryption. Still, if you haven't seen it, it's worth it. Sorry to de-rail thread.

I'll try and watch it now.

samadriel

Quote from: filth gabs on February 11, 2020, 02:19:50 PM

Even worse. Bear(d)s

No stupid, follow the metaphor! Grizzly Man was Protector of Bears, Glinner Man is Protector of Women! It will be women who eat Glinner Man alive!

Captain Z

Quote from: thenoise on February 11, 2020, 02:16:42 PM
He just needs to quit Twitter. Go cold turkey. You survived without it before, it must be possible to do it again.

Not one tweet a day, you delusional addict. Cold turkey.

Not just Twitter, I think someone should seriously consider asking the elders of the internet to shut it down completely.

bgmnts

Ha can you imagine? An entire generation or two absolutely fucked. Like a dark ages but an actual dark ages where we know what we are missing.