Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld on All4

Started by Bad Ambassador, February 11, 2020, 10:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Quote from: good times on September 21, 2020, 11:49:26 AM
It always makes me quite uncomfortable this, especially as it is literally without exception.

Can see why Jerry might punch outside of his league given his reasonably success career as a comedian but some of the stunners George gets... it's quite odd, and as you say Elaine never goes out with any good looking guys (even the so-called pretty boy Tony or whatever his name was isn't really good looking even though it's a plot point)

When George needed an attractive guy to make him more nervous about a massage; they got a real proper hunk. Even had myself drooling over him.

DrGreggles

Doesn't the very hotness of the women amplify Jerry and George's nit-picking?
They're not nice people and will always find flaws in anything.

13 schoolyards

Yeah, I always thought that was part of the joke - they were going out with these amazing women that were well out of their league and yet they always found some reason to throw it all away. If the women had been merely good-looking it wouldn't have been half as obvious that George and Jerry were being complete idiots.

gilbertharding

It's hard for me to judge - but isn't David Puddy crumpet? And there's actual baseball player Keith Hernandez.

Puce Moment

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 21, 2020, 03:05:08 PMIt's hard for me to judge - but isn't David Puddy crumpet? And there's actual baseball player Keith Hernandez.

I think about Puddy a lot.

1. When I see someone wearing a grotesquely branded leather jacket like Hard Rock Cafe or Loony Tunes or something equally shit.

2. When I get ready to go on a plane or I am on a plane and I need to make sure I have all the things I need to entertain me (Ipod, book, mag etc).

3. When I see someone travelling just staring into space rather than reading a book or something to pass the time.

gilbertharding

He's a fantastic character.

I think he sums up why I love Seinfeld so much. He, and all the best of 'em, are more like living cartoon characters than human beings.

QDRPHNC

El Unicornio, mang

Puddy is great, but he's the kind of dim, sports-obsessed dufus guy that Elaine would otherwise be making fun of with Jerry and George.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 21, 2020, 02:09:28 PM
Yeah, I always thought that was part of the joke - they were going out with these amazing women that were well out of their league and yet they always found some reason to throw it all away. If the women had been merely good-looking it wouldn't have been half as obvious that George and Jerry were being complete idiots.

The ultimate was driving away Teri Hatcher because they were convinced she'd had work done, as there was no way she could be that naturally attractive.

Puce Moment

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 21, 2020, 04:10:02 PMPuddy is great, but he's the kind of dim, sports-obsessed dufus guy that Elaine would otherwise be making fun of with Jerry and George.

Isn't that a pretty good summation of why he exists in the show as a character?

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah, I just mean he's an example of the kind of guys Elaine gets paired up with. She gets a rough ride compared to Jerry and George.

Puce Moment

Aha - I see. I like how it exposes Elaine's shallowness which most sitcoms are bad at in terms of writing female characters who are as complex and twatty as the male leads.

lankyguy95

"Well... I got gonorrhea."

El Unicornio, mang

One thing I had never noticed until watching the HD versions is Jerry's eclectic video and computer game collection. Back to the Future III (but not the first two), Child's Play 2, The Crying Game among them. Nice to see Goodfellas in there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Is Kramer puzzling the reasons for Jerry having two copies of " True Colo(u)rs" ?

El Unicornio, mang

Ha I didn't notice that. Also just noticed the Golf instructional video.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Kudos to Jerry for the copies of " Wired" and " Benny Hill's Video Follies", too.

non capisco

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 21, 2020, 09:00:51 PM
Kudos to Jerry for the copies of " Wired" and " Benny Hill's Video Follies", too.

I especially like the latter because it means my mate's mum exists in the Seinfeld universe.

neveragain

Your mate's mum is Benny Hill?!

famethrowa

Love the idea of Jerry kicking back to watch Henry McGee gurning away as the little feller gets slapped on his bald head.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: famethrowa on September 22, 2020, 12:23:15 AM
Love the idea of Jerry kicking back to watch Henry McGee gurning away as the little feller gets slapped on his bald head.

Yes! Jerry would absolutely love that. So easy to picture him cackling at the bald bloke's misfortune while necking popcorn.

Bernice

I've just cracked up at this exchange from the first episode of season 4, with Kramer in LA trying to make it as an actor, bumps into his Sunset Boulevard-y neighbour who tells him about her last acting job:

Helena: It was a Three Stooges short, "Sappy Pappy." I played Mr. Sugarman's
secretary, remember?

Kramer: Yeah, right, right, yeah, yeah, that was a Shemp, right?

Helena: No, a Curly. The boys played three sailors who find a baby, the baby's
been kidnapped and the police think that they did it.

Kramer: Uh huh, right.

Helena: But, but of course they didn't do it, the police had made an awful
mistake.

Kramer: Right.

Helena: Moe hits Curly with an axe,

Kramer: Uh huh.

Helena: The Stooges catch the kidnappers,

Kramer: Right.

Helena: But it's too late.

Kramer: Really.

Helena: The baby's dead.

Kramer: Really?

Helena: The boys are sent to Death Row and are executed.

Kramer: Well I don't remember that part.

Helena: I play Mr. Sugarman's secretary.

Kramer: Oh, yeah, yeah, you were, you were very good.

Helena: Yeah, it was sad for a Three Stooges, what with the dead baby and the
Stooges being executed and all.

Kramer: Well, that was an unusual choice for the stooges.

jenna appleseed

just googled Sappy Pappy on the off chance that a real Three Stooges title and wasn't expecting this.
(apologies for accidentally massive pic - link changed)

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: jenna appleseed on September 23, 2020, 06:25:43 AM
just googled Sappy Pappy on the off chance that a real Three Stooges title and wasn't expecting this.
(apologies for accidentally massive pic - link changed)

"Andy, the owner of a bicycle shop, gets involved with one of his customers." That explains nothing!

Captain Crunch

A couple more Puddy highlights:

In 'The Dealership' when Jerry is on the phone and you can see him in the background doing that stare. 

The deleted scene from 'The Reverse Peephole' with his 8-Ball jacket.  All the deleted scenes are worth watching but this one is a treat. 

chveik

'so legally, I can marry your daughter'

sevendaughters

A question re: Heidi Swedberg aka Susan (who imo is the hottest partner of any of them closely followed by the librarian Kramer seduces in the one with the Library detective) - when did Jason Alexander decide he had no comic energy with her? Was it during S4 when she's in it quite a bit, or was it when they brought her back for most of S7? Something about this whole story whiffed for me.

ajsmith2

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 24, 2020, 09:12:36 AM
A question re: Heidi Swedberg aka Susan (who imo is the hottest partner of any of them closely followed by the librarian Kramer seduces in the one with the Library detective) - when did Jason Alexander decide he had no comic energy with her? Was it during S4 when she's in it quite a bit, or was it when they brought her back for most of S7? Something about this whole story whiffed for me.

It always seemed a tad odd to me too that he came out and said that years later considering that Susan and George were surely intended to have no spark to their relationship. I can't really imagine how she could have played it any better to have been fit for the character and the situation. I sometimes wonder if eventually Alexander started conflating the character with the actress or something.

EOLAN

Love Heidi too. She does bring a whole different energy to the show and demonstrates the type of world that George would be trapped in. As a character, is an outside to main four and does tend to be a calming presence on situations while around rather than feeding the frenzy that many regular guests or one-off girlfriends do. General feedback was she was popular; though among some Seinfeld circles does seem to be an anti-Susan sentiment; though I think is likely feeding off Jason Alexander's comments.
Did he feel awkward with the different approach and characterisation or was there actually something in the build-up to scenes that antagonised him. One of my favorite characters but like his character does come off as a bit dickish at times. 

This clip always fills me with joy, the stupid Wiz walk is a thing of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRf_A07Elyw