Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"An important emotional link between them and other road users"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 11, 2020, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Would any cyclists consider wearing a light-up emoji jacket which displays arrows or faces?

I think the idea of the arrows is a really useful idea, but I'm not sure about the emoji faces - it would probably just be distracting. Also, what happens if you hit the wrong face?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/light-up-emoji-jacket-lets-21441191

Only a prototype but maybe soon those of you who cycle or drive will be behind someone wearing a jacket with a neutral emoji face.

Not quite sure how it is powered.

bgmnts

No this is fucking stupid, the onus is on drivers. Wearing a stupid jacket with a smiley face won't stop cunts behind a wheel hitting a cyclist.

Cuellar

I'd wear one upon which I could program a message.

"FUCK OFF" e.g.

Shit Good Nose

I'm a bit of a lapsed cycling commuter (the office I work in now is too far from home unfortunately), but I would NEVER wear anything like that.  Share your emotions with the driver behind you?  And make them even more annoyed and think you're even more of a prick?  Hi-vis reflective clothing and lights is all you need.

I was going to say I hope the person/company that makes it fails miserably, but then saw it's made by Ford.

Sebastian Cobb

When I was looking at bike lights I did briefly consider a small led matrix that could do patterns including a sad face and indicator arrows.i dismissed it sharpish though.

I've since ordered an under-saddle light off aliexpress that is supposedly fully automatic based on ambient light and movement, it's supposed to function as a brake light (sensesddeceleration) as well.

I also specifically chose a cycle jacket that's red and blue (with some silver reflective bits) rather than 'council worker hi-viz) though.

idunnosomename

madhair60

If it upsets and humiliates cyclists it's fine by me. Enforce this, please.

Urinal Cake

I remember a woman I knew insist on wearing a longish, flowing skirt because she felt drivers would be less inclined to run her over.

bgmnts

QuoteAccording to the World Health Organization, road traffic injuries caused an estimated 1.35 million deaths worldwide in the year 2016

That is, one person is killed every 25 seconds. Only 28 countries, representing 449 million people (seven percent of the world's population), have adequate laws that address all five risk factors (speed, drunk driving, helmets, seat-belts and child restraints). Over a third of road traffic deaths in low- and middle-income countries are among pedestrians and cyclists. However, less than 35 percent of low- and middle-income countries have policies in place to protect these road users. The average rate was 17.4 per 100,000 people. Low-income countries now have the highest annual road traffic fatality rates, at 24.1 per 100,000, while the rate in high-income countries is lowest, at 9.2 per 100,000.

Fucking cyclists with their helmets and their wheels!

kittens

cycling home the other night i whacked into the wing mirror of a car in a traffic jam and he honked his horn at me so i stuck my middle finger up at him. was wicked. i like to think i'm singlehandedly dragging the reputation of all cyclists through the dirt.

madhair60

Quote from: kittens on February 11, 2020, 11:21:48 AM
cycling home the other night i whacked into the wing mirror of a car in a traffic jam and he honked his horn at me so i stuck my middle finger up at him. was wicked. i like to think i'm singlehandedly dragging the reputation of all cyclists through the dirt.

It would be impossible for it to be any lower

Butchers Blind

kittens

as a cyclist who uses the pavement, outta my way slow bitch

madhair60

Cyclists are cunts, that's all there is to it. Hateful vermin.

bgmnts

Prolly cos they keep getting hit and killed by drivers lululu

kittens

yes but do you know what is worse than cyclists? car drivers

Cuellar

I think cyclists should use the pavements. They should also use all the road. All of it. Driving a car should be as socially acceptable as noncing your own kids.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on February 11, 2020, 11:33:43 AM
Ded pplr gud cuz dey don drive vroom vroom haaaaa

I haven't offered any kind of opinion on drivers. You're making the weird comparison, not me. Very odd behaviour. Bit of a persecution complex, methinks.

kittens

honk honk look at my big dumb car honk honk
i love absolutely demolishing wildlife and drunkenly driving over children
signed madhair60

madhair60

Quote from: kittens on February 11, 2020, 11:39:43 AM
signed madhair60

I don't have a car

Cuellar

madhair60

Classic cyclist behaviour here. Exactly the same thought process and beligerence as TERFs.

kittens

madhair60

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2020, 11:34:05 AM
I think cyclists should use the pavements. They should also use all the road. All of it. Driving a car should be as socially acceptable as noncing your own kids.

What about being a pedestrian?

Here we regularly get cyclists who refuse to stop when the light is red and the green man is flashing, and who cycle on pavements at high speed. I once had someone demand I get out of his way while I was standing waiting for a bus so he could cycle along the pavement past the bus shelter rather than him going into the road so he could get round me. He then swore at me for not doing it immediately.

I do agree that cycling infrastructure needs to be vastly improved, that many car drivers are very dangerous and should not be on the road, and we massively need to reduce car use (difficult in a country which gives public transport far too low a priority) but it doesn't justify cyclists putting pedestrians at risk. A few weeks ago the lights went red and the green man was flashing and I was about to cross when I looked to the right and saw the cyclist wasn't going to stop. If I had just crossed (as was my right, given the light was red) I would have been seriously injured and possibly even killed.

Why can't cyclists just wait when the light is red rather than try to weave between crossing pedestrians?

kittens

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 11:54:40 AM
Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote from: kittens on February 11, 2020, 11:39:43 AM
signed madhair60

the smoking gun. you car drivers are all the same

madhair60

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 11, 2020, 11:57:15 AM
What about being a pedestrian?

Here we regularly get cyclists who refuse to stop when the light is red and the green man is flashing, and who cycle on pavements at high speed. I once had someone demand I get out of his way while I was standing waiting for a bus so he could cycle along the pavement past the bus shelter rather than him going into the road so he could get round me. He then swore at me for not doing it immediately.

I do agree that cycling infrastructure needs to be vastly improved, that many car drivers are very dangerous and should not be on the road, and we massively need to reduce car use (difficult in a country which gives public transport far too low a priority) but it doesn't justify cyclists putting pedestrians at risk. A few weeks ago the lights went red and the green man was flashing and I was about to cross when I looked to the right and saw the cyclist wasn't going to stop. If I had just crossed (as was my right, given the light was red) I would have been seriously injured and possibly even killed.

Why can't cyclists just wait when the light is red rather than try to weave between crossing pedestrians?

Yep, that kind of shitty behaviour is far from atypical, in fact it's the norm. A courteous cyclist, christ, sometimes I imagine what it may be like to encounter one.