Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"An important emotional link between them and other road users"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 11, 2020, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 11, 2020, 07:05:13 PM
But then they're so twatty sometimes. Last weekend there were three riding abreast taking up most of a lane and refusing to go in single file to let a queue of cars past. If you escalate continually this is the passive aggression you will provoke.

Needs to be more of this imho. Loads of cyclists did it down a key commuting road at rush hour in Oxford after a cyclist was killed by a bus. I think it should happen every day, on every route, until we get proper infrastructure.

There were huge protests for years in the Netherlands, it didn't happen for no reason.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2019/jun/25/kick-car-out-city-amsterdam-cycle-protest-posters-in-pictures

Sebastian Cobb

Hi.

Just bought a Bianchi gold race single-speed conversion.

Cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 11, 2020, 07:05:13 PM
Cyclists deserve more slack as unlike paths and roads, humanity has decided this mode of transport shouldn't have very many routes the users can enjoy exclusively.

But then they're so twatty sometimes. Last weekend there were three riding abreast taking up most of a lane and refusing to go in single file to let a queue of cars past. If you escalate continually this is the passive aggression you will provoke.

Some ned beeped their horn at me today and shouted something when they overtook me. As far as I can tell it was for overtaking a stopped bus without leaving him room to overtake me, which I did on purpose specifically to stop bellends overtaking too close. I checked my shoulder before moving out and I reckoned I had plenty of room (and right of way) and the traffic was too dense for me to misjudge his speed. Dunno what he expected me to do, I wasn't going to cycle into the back of a stopped bus.

poo

Fambo Number Mive

What would count as proper cycling infrastructure? Would it be fully segregated cycle lanes? If so, would roads need to be widened for this?

Sebastian Cobb

It's not just a case of adding segregated lanes, it's about giving that priority and safety to bikes, lots of councils add it, but then dump cyclists back onto roads for the most dangerous parts, like roundabouts.

Dex Sawash

I like bicyclists but they are often quite then so I eat more than one whole one

Shit Good Nose

Also need a LOT of gravy cos they tend to be quite tough.

Sebastian Cobb

The worst thing you can do as a cyclist is wear a helmet cam and think this gives you a right to be the traffic equivalent of Judge Dredd.

kittens

i like seeing videos of cyclists getting REVENGE on the bad car drivers. i think actually i've only ever seen one but i would love to see more if possible.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kittens on February 12, 2020, 04:03:02 PM
i like seeing videos of cyclists getting REVENGE on the bad car drivers. i think actually i've only ever seen one but i would love to see more if possible.

Generally nobody comes off well, the driver is always worse, but the cyclists seem to be hectoring them until they kick off.

Even on the prat fall one, where you want the big angry cunt in the Peugeot to have a heart attack, I kind of hoped he'd belt the cocky cyclist before he drops down dead.

Cuellar

Norton Canes

When motorists pull out of a junction or onto a roundabout in front of me causing me to brake hard or crash I do occasionally think "Right, you cunt, I'm going to actually ride into you, with just enough force to fuck your bodywork. Enjoy paying my insurance you [what's a ruder word than 'cunt'?]!"

Never actually done it though. Not yet. But I will.

Cuellar

I got hit by a car that didn't look when pulling out at a junction, didn't hurt too much. I say go for it.

gilbertharding

I rode into the side of a car which was coming the other way, and was attempting to turn right, across my path.

The damage I'm told I did to both his passenger doors was very little consolation to me after the week I spent in hospital followed by five weeks off work and the physiotherapy I'm still having six months later...

And thanks to our wonderful police, who turned up and took everyone's details and then promptly forgot about it, I'm claiming off the central 'uninsured drivers' fund, and he... I guess he's wondering why no-one got in touch to claim on his insurance.

poo

drivers can fuck off. minute I get in the car i hate myself absolute cunt

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 12, 2020, 04:47:32 PM
When motorists pull out of a junction or onto a roundabout in front of me causing me to brake hard or crash I do occasionally think "Right, you cunt, I'm going to actually ride into you, with just enough force to fuck your bodywork. Enjoy paying my insurance you [what's a ruder word than 'cunt'?]!"

Never actually done it though. Not yet. But I will.

I've had a few incidents where they've had to jam the anchors on as I sail past them shaking my fist.

The ones that do my head in are the ones that bust a gut to overtake you then promptly indicate left and jam the anchors on forcing you to slow down. CHEERS FOR THAT MATE.

I've been thinking of getting one of these so I can show my displeasure

I still can't work out where that merc was trying to go by driving on the wrong side of the road.

Pingers

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 11:59:11 AM
A courteous cyclist, christ, sometimes I imagine what it may be like to encounter one.

Hello!

dozybugcarrot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 12, 2020, 07:13:56 PM

I still can't work out where that merc was trying to go by driving on the wrong side of the road.
He wanted to turn right down a side road. There's a junction at the end of the main road which always turns into a traffic jam, meaning that cars wanting to turn right get stuck waiting for the cars to go straight on. A fair few of them go on the wrong side of the road to reach the turning quicker. There's currently a slow war going on with the cycling club there and everyone else, so I'd guess they filmed this to get evidence.

Ferris

Why not simply take the streetcar everywhere you want to go and never leave the downtown core of a large city (because that's the only place with good public transit)? Honestly, sometimes I don't know why I bother.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 12, 2020, 07:57:58 PM
Why not simply take the streetcar everywhere you want to go and never leave the downtown core of a large city (because that's the only place with good public transit)? Honestly, sometimes I don't know why I bother.

Why not take the shovel and get in grave.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 12, 2020, 08:05:56 PM
Why not take the shovel and get in grave.

Another good alternative. All this "bike vs cars" stuff is so unnecessary.

kalowski

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 12:23:31 PM
Interesting how it's never "yes, they should stop at red lights" or "I agree, they could behave better". It's always "but cars". Shades of very real, very frightening psychopathy.
They should stop at red lights, I agree.

They should also stop speeding, especially in 30 mph zones (sorry, that's car drivers)
They should also stop using mobile phones on the motorway (sorry, that's car drivers)
They should stop shooting through lights just after they've changed to red (sorry, that's car drivers)
They should stop polluting the atmosphere with their bloody exhausts (sorry, that's car drivers)

They should stop zipping up the inside when I'm in my car because they get to their destination faster than me!!!

Cuellar

I would get a bell, but I'm actually thinking of getting a massive airhorn and just blasting it at cunts all over town

Cuellar

Quote from: kalowski on February 12, 2020, 09:29:25 PM
They should stop at red lights, I agree.

They should also stop speeding, especially in 30 mph zones (sorry, that's car drivers)
They should also stop using mobile phones on the motorway (sorry, that's car drivers)
They should stop shooting through lights just after they've changed to red (sorry, that's car drivers)
They should stop polluting the atmosphere with their bloody exhausts (sorry, that's car drivers)

They should stop zipping up the inside when I'm in my car because they get to their destination faster than me!!!

Oh ignore madhair, he's massively embarrassed himself in this thread and is rightly staying away.

kalowski

I've been knocked off my bike twice - both times were my fault.

The first one was for not getting out of the way as the driver turned in front of me, driving into my path.

The second one was cycling in the way of the car that pulled out of a junction and allowing it to drive in to me. Like the officer said, "It's an accident isn't it. No one's at fault. They pulled out of the junction but I guess you were in the way."

Flatulent Fox

Visability might improve your chances,but noone really knows as there is a lot more to it than just that.
If a vehicle driver isn't looking in your direction,then it all counts for nothing.

Almost hit by a white van man at a jucntion.He just took off down a side street across the main road and I must have missed the back of him by cm.Hair raising but no harm done - have fallen off in cleat based incidents about 6 times.Worst was a dumb woman cyclist who wasn't looking and decided to blunder across a single lane bridge right as I was about to exit form the other direction.
Old woman with dog was not sympathetic,but the dog was cool though.

RockBros stuff is really good,but I already have a bell.Never used it on the road,pretty much always on cycle paths.
Thinking of fitting a honking horn so I can honk the fk at anything that annoys me.Or might pretend to be an Italian and honk at women ,pulling suggestive faces.

Recently bought a second hand Merida as a winter project.Lovely bike but seatpost is ceased so I havn't ridden it yet.
Actually loads of shit wrong with it:
Tyres too tall for frame
Ceased front mech
Buckled rear wheel
general shit state condition

Decided to get stuck in and promptly bought a pair of water bottle cages for it.