Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"An important emotional link between them and other road users"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 11, 2020, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I step into their path on purpose, and amble through crossings slowly so they'll have to stop, or put their feet down if they already have (a hen's teeth rare occurence). It's the only power I have against these dangerous, selfish maniacs.

kittens

everything i have posted so far in this thread has been a funny joke and the truth of the matter is i am a very polite cyclist who follows all of the road rules that i am aware of. sometimes i have to go on the pavement but i do it slowly and that's fine. i am an angel, please do not criticise me.

Cuellar

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 11, 2020, 11:57:15 AM
What about being a pedestrian?

Here we regularly get cyclists who refuse to stop when the light is red and the green man is flashing, and who cycle on pavements at high speed. I once had someone demand I get out of his way while I was standing waiting for a bus so he could cycle along the pavement past the bus shelter rather than him going into the road so he could get round me. He then swore at me for not doing it immediately.

I do agree that cycling infrastructure needs to be vastly improved, that many car drivers are very dangerous and should not be on the road, and we massively need to reduce car use (difficult in a country which gives public transport far too low a priority) but it doesn't justify cyclists putting pedestrians at risk. A few weeks ago the lights went red and the green man was flashing and I was about to cross when I looked to the right and saw the cyclist wasn't going to stop. If I had just crossed (as was my right, given the light was red) I would have been seriously injured and possibly even killed.

Why can't cyclists just wait when the light is red rather than try to weave between crossing pedestrians?

With the roads as bad as they are for cycling I don't really blame any cyclist for not wanting to use them and for taking their chances on the pavements. Worst thing that can happen is you cycle into someone, but lets be honest that isn't going to kill them, whereas you absolutely can die if you get hit by a bus/car because there isn't enough space on the roads, or the driver just doesn't know how to drive properly.

As a cyclist I don't want to be on the roads just as much as drivers don't want me on them, and I don't want to be on the pavement just as much as pedestrians don't want me on them (not that I do cycle on the pavements btw). So everyone who uses roads/pavements in this country wants the same thing: proper infrastructure. But even in Oxford, the UK's first 'cycling city' as the welcome signs proudly proclaim, there is literally fuck all in the city proper. 

Shit Good Nose

I know a lot of this is all LOLbantz hijinks, but speaking seriously for a moment - speaking as someone who has been a cyclist, a pedestrian and a car driver, I have to say that in my experience there is a far higher percentage of cycling cunts than there are driving cunts. 

As I was a driver for a LONG time before getting on a bike I naturally followed the rules of the road as if I was driving, and easily noticed just how many cyclists ignored them - as mentioned going through red lights, using pavements that are designated pedestrians only, speeding along pavements, taking corners to avoid red lights, dangerously overtaking cars in traffic etc etc.

I'm not saying there are NO driving cunts, just that given the sheer number of cars on the road the percentage of car cunts is much much smaller, and most of them you will find are courteous.  I cannot say the same for most cyclists...

Cuellar

But a car cunt can do a hell of a lot more damage than a bike cunt.

Shit Good Nose

I'm not disputing that.  I'm just saying that, in my experience, there are far more intentionally irresponsible cunt cyclists than cunt drivers.

Cuellar

And I've been commuting on my bike for the last 7-8 years and there are absolutely as many people who can't drive properly as there people who can't cycle properly. And the car cunts are always more aggressive.

Not indicating, not looking when pulling out, running red lights, not giving way then shouting at me to 'watch out'. Again, if a bike does this, you can easily avoid them. If a bus doesn't indicate and then starts turning across you you might well die. It's no fucking wonder cyclists are on edge.

Stop forcing them into life or death situations every day then see how much they might chill out.

king_tubby

In my experience there are a far higher proportion of cunt drivers than cunt cyclists.

On their mobile phones, zooming through red lights, not using their indicators, doing illegal uturns, ram raiding and sitting on their fat arses outside schools with the engine running giving the tiny kiddies CANCER.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: king_tubby on February 11, 2020, 12:19:38 PM
In my experience there are a far higher proportion of cunt drivers than cunt cyclists.

On their mobile phones, zooming through red lights, not using their indicators, doing illegal uturns, ram raiding and sitting on their fat arses outside schools with the engine running giving the tiny kiddies CANCER.

Don't forget the vans with promises of sweets and puppies within, also with their engines running.  And they're old diesels.

madhair60

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2020, 12:18:32 PM
Right well you've embarrassed yourself there because they all happened on ROADS, not PAVEMENTS. And the first one wasn't even HIT by a cyclist, she just fell over.

"Charlie Alliston, 20, who collided with Kim Briggs as she crossed Old Street, was told by judge Wendy Joseph QC at the Old Bailey that the victim "could have been any pedestrian" and that he had shown no remorse for her death."

?

king_tubby

Yeah yeah, post some more links to the Express, Tory boy.

madhair60

Interesting how it's never "yes, they should stop at red lights" or "I agree, they could behave better". It's always "but cars". Shades of very real, very frightening psychopathy.

madhair60

Quote from: king_tubby on February 11, 2020, 12:22:41 PM
Yeah yeah, post some more links to the Express, Tory boy.

Oh? Would that bring back these dead women?

Astonishing thread.

Urinal Cake

This is why we need automated transport that would never kill us.

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 12:23:31 PM
Interesting how it's never "yes, they should stop at red lights" or "I agree, they could behave better". It's always "but cars". Shades of very real, very frightening psychopathy.

Lol

king_tubby

Interesting how madhair wants tragic tots to get cancer.

Interesting.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 11, 2020, 12:25:40 PM
This is why we need automated transport that would never kill us.

You say that now, but you wait until they become self aware - you've seen that series of documentaries with Arnold Schwarzenegger I assume?

Cuellar

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
"Charlie Alliston, 20, who collided with Kim Briggs as she crossed Old Street, was told by judge Wendy Joseph QC at the Old Bailey that the victim "could have been any pedestrian" and that he had shown no remorse for her death."

?

That was still on a ROAD, not a pavement. Show me the statistics of cyclists KILLING people by cycling ON the pavement. How are you going to cycle at 20mph on a pavement? You're not, it's not going to happen. It's actually the safest place to cycle, for everyone involved.

madhair60

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
Worst thing that can happen is you cycle into someone, but lets be honest that isn't going to kill them

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2020, 12:28:58 PM
That was still on a ROAD, not a pavement. Show me the statistics of cyclists KILLING people by cycling ON the pavement.

Which goalpost will move next?!

kittens

cyclists kill much less people than car drivers. maybe that explains why madhair loves car drivers so much, seeing as he is such a vehement supporter of needless death.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 11, 2020, 12:27:46 PM
You say that now, but you wait until they become self aware - you've seen that series of documentaries with Arnold Schwarzenegger I assume?
Yes I've seen Transformers.

bgmnts

Interesting how it's never "yes, they should indicate and drive responsibly" or "I agree, they could behave better". It's always "but bikes". Shades of very real, very frightening psychopathy.

Cuellar

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 12:30:01 PM
Which goalpost will move next?!

The last resort of a completely bankrupt argument. You got nothing. You ain't got shit.

king_tubby

Indeed, kittens. It's a poor show all round, to be honest. He won't be happy until Greta Thunberg is run over by someone looking at their phone, going through a red light and wanking whilst driving their 4x4 past a nursery.