Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"An important emotional link between them and other road users"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 11, 2020, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Studies have shown that 100% of paedophiles also drive cars.

This makes madhair happy.

gilbertharding

Cuellar

This is getting desperate now. It's really quite sad.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of studies that show pavement cycling to be safe, effective, and efficient. Just because you dredge up some tabloid rags with vested interests in making people drive everywhere doesn't mean anything.

gilbertharding

It's interesting how it's all 'cyclists' this and 'cyclists' that - dehumanising.

Same thing happens when (according to news reports  'a car hit some people' as if the car did it on its own.

madhair60

Sorry for providing examples of the thing happening that you said wouldn't happen. And now personal attacks. How very telling. Quite the typical display.

kittens

madhair60mph through the school zone at home time in his big hummer, more like! sickening.

Butchers Blind

Where do we place our opinion of disabled scooter users on pavements?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2020, 12:38:29 PM
This is getting desperate now. It's really quite sad.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of studies that show pavement cycling to be safe, effective, and efficient. Just because you dredge up some tabloid rags with vested interests in making people drive everywhere doesn't mean anything.

People in control of vehicles (whether cars or cycles) should behave responsibly, especially when in proximity to other people.

Unfortunately, people...

kittens

at least two of madhair's sources were ancient busybodies writing to their local newspapers about not actually getting hit by bikes. what a shocking standard of evidence. whereas there are hundreds of thousands of studies that show cyclists are the most considerate, kind and caring of all road users.

Cuellar

Quote from: madhair60 on February 11, 2020, 12:40:41 PM
Sorry for providing examples of the thing happening that you said wouldn't happen. And now personal attacks. How very telling. Quite the typical display.

I think you'll find I said 'how are you going to cycle at 20mph on a pavement? it's not going to happen'. I see nothing in those links that says the cyclists were cycling at 20mph.

Which goalpost will YOU move next? Absolutely outrageous.

king_tubby

I bet if you googled 'paedos driving cars' you'd get billions of results. But that's A-OK according to madhair.

poo

Captain Z

I am a cyclist and I think it's time we all admitted that we are inconsiderate cunts and do it on purpose, I know I do. I think I speak for all of us when I say we're actually just jealous of car drivers and try our hardest to annoy them by holding up dual carriageways when there's a perfectly good cycle path literally just to my left, undertaking cars that are letting others out and then blaming the drivers when I nearly get hit, believing it's fine to ride at 30mph even though my stopping distance is 3 times longer than a car's...etc. I would say sorry but we're not sorry and will carry on doing it.

poo

Blumf

Cuellar

Shit Good Nose

Icehaven

As a pedestrian who can't drive and doesn't cycle so has no vested interest in either side, I find inconsiderate (not all) pavement cyclists way more annoying than inconsiderate drivers because inconsiderate drivers are more avoidable by dint of being on the road (in theory anyway). If you simply never assume a car is going to stop at red lights or crossings until they actually have, or that if they aren't indicating it doesn't mean they aren't going to turn then you're unlikely to have a problem, but inconsiderate pavement cyclists are literally in your face and no amount of care on your part can avoid them flying straight at you or scraping past you as they try and weave through crowds while maintaining their speed. At least by pre-empting shitty drivers you can avoid them, not so with shitty cyclists.

And that's not to absolve bad drivers by the way of course, they deserve to be hung too.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Cuellar on February 11, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
With the roads as bad as they are for cycling I don't really blame any cyclist for not wanting to use them and for taking their chances on the pavements. Worst thing that can happen is you cycle into someone, but lets be honest that isn't going to kill them, whereas you absolutely can die if you get hit by a bus/car because there isn't enough space on the roads, or the driver just doesn't know how to drive properly.

As a cyclist I don't want to be on the roads just as much as drivers don't want me on them, and I don't want to be on the pavement just as much as pedestrians don't want me on them (not that I do cycle on the pavements btw). So everyone who uses roads/pavements in this country wants the same thing: proper infrastructure. But even in Oxford, the UK's first 'cycling city' as the welcome signs proudly proclaim, there is literally fuck all in the city proper.

I do blame cyclists as its not the fault of pedestrians that the roads are dangerous. I'm doing my bit by not driving a car or motorcycle, why should I feel uncomfortable/at risk because car drivers are dangerous? If people don't feel safe cycling on the roads in cities, they can always take the bus like I do each day. People not feeling comfortable with walking somewhere because people whizz past them on bikes and expect them to get out the way are just going to take the car instead and clog up the roads. 

Sebastian Cobb

I only cycle on shared cycle paths, but sometimes I sack them off because pedestrians are typically least aware of their surroundings, zigzagging across the path with their eyes glued to their phone and their earphones plugged to boot.

I always stop for pedestrians, but will happily roll through an empty crossing if nobody is either at the crossing or have crossed the side of the road I am on.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 11, 2020, 12:41:18 PM
Where do we place our opinion of disabled scooter users on pavements?

They don't usually go very fast, aside from one bloke who was very aggressive and chased someone along the pavement. He was on a very crowded pavement where people queue for the bus along one side but didn't seem to care. Also, given how difficult it is to use a bus when disabled, they often don't have a choice.

king_tubby

Pedestrian. Paedophile.

Need a little clarity? CHECK THE SIMILARITY

Fambo Number Mive

I would never feel comfortable cycling on either the road or the pavement where I live. And that needs to change, but I do resent having to dodge pavement cyclists  whenever I walk along certain roads.

Have to say I would never feel comfortable driving a car or motorbike either (I can't do either). Really I find any kind of travel within Oxfordshire fairly unpleasant.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Seen an equal number of cunts on both sides. The defining factor is one side is behind a tonne of fucking metal that can actually crush and maim. There are serious accidents with cyclists on pedestrians but in my view the same applies. In those instances cyclists forget their power and the pedestrians vulnerability.

Basically the Luftwaffe should have finished the job and turned us into a fucking failed state, then we would have had modern segregated transport with cycle lanes, trams, metro and fewer cars. And owed someone loads of money.

Shit Good Nose

Just a reminder to everyone (madhair) that there are such things as shared paths, where pedestrians and cyclists alike hold hands and mosey along in a fog of happy vaseline smudged romanticism.

Until an OLD MAN has a go at you for cycling on the path, and you say to him "no it's okay, it's a shared path - look, the sign is just over there", "oh that's just a blue plaque for that house - nothing there says you can cycle on the pavement.  You can't - it's against the law!" "no, look - it's a little blue circle on a pillar and there's clearly a person walking and a picture of a bike" "no, that means no cycling" "no, no cycling is either a white circle with a red band around it and a black bike in the middle, or the same with the addition of a red line going diagonally.  This little blue one means that cycling is allowed and that it's a shared path with pedestrians - you can even see a dividing line over there" "........you shouldn't be cycling on the pavement"(shakes walking stick at me and walks off)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 11, 2020, 01:59:35 PM
Just a reminder to everyone (madhair) that there are such things as shared paths, where pedestrians and cyclists alike hold hands and mosey along in a fog of happy vaseline smudged romanticism.

Until an OLD MAN has a go at you for cycling on the path, and you say to him "no it's okay, it's a shared path - look, the sign is just over there", "oh that's just a blue plaque for that house - nothing there says you can cycle on the pavement.  You can't - it's against the law!" "no, look - it's a little blue circle on a pillar and there's clearly a person walking and a picture of a bike" "no, that means no cycling" "no, no cycling is either a white circle with a red band around it and a black bike in the middle, or the same with the addition of a red line going diagonally.  This little blue one means that cycling is allowed and that it's a shared path with pedestrians - you can even see a dividing line over there" "........you shouldn't be cycling on the pavement"(shakes walking stick at me and walks off)

And even when they do accept bikes can go there they still do little to stop their dogs/kids blocking the parts of it they aren't.

Plus they're not gritted in winter, so you need to go on the road, which angers motorists because they think you're not using them just to inconvenience them. All in all a pretty rubbish solution.

Shit Good Nose

Well, I moaned there, but in reality whenever I was on a shared path or track I ALWAYS gave pedestrians right of way.

The ballache for me was the bell - just as many people have a go at you for using it as those that have a go at you for not using it.  That's one thing I DON'T miss.