Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:18:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Irish Driving Test

Started by SteK, February 11, 2020, 12:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

Must the easiest in the World judging by the standard of driving on the M50 this morning.

famethrowa

Spike Milligan sketch, 1970, missing believed wiped

Dog Botherer

took me 3 goes. but i'm a shit driver. so it's probably easy enough. yank one is like driving go-karts easy.

SteK

Quote from: famethrowa on February 11, 2020, 01:05:26 PM
Spike Milligan sketch, 1970, missing believed wiped

The Irish Moon Shot one is genius! Mission Control, Sligo....

wosl

touchingcloth

I have a friend who lived in Belfast for a while, and he says that car insurance premiums used to be through the roof due to the number of uninsured poor (as in quality of driving-wise) drivers was so high. Any truth to that second hand observation?

GMTV

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 11, 2020, 01:49:26 PM
I have a friend who lived in Belfast for a while, and he says that car insurance premiums used to be through the roof due to the number of uninsured poor (as in quality of driving-wise) drivers was so high. Any truth to that second hand observation?

Don't know anything in the slightest about what you're talking about, but I reckon you're right mate.

Sebastian Cobb

In the roi you used to be able to dive solo on a provisional, so a lot of people dragged that out longer than they should. One of my nan's relatives got a licence without a test because they had an amnesty.

SteK

..and only since 1968 has a test at all been required. Prior to that, pop into An Post and just pay for your driving licence....

SteK

That's the North though.

I'm insured in UK still, £400, in Ireland they wanted 1600 Euro.....

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 11, 2020, 01:53:33 PM
In the roi you used to be able to dive solo on a provisional, so a lot of people dragged that out longer than they should. One of my nan's relatives got a licence without a test because they had an amnesty.

I think that was the crux of it actually - people all over the place legally on the road with no licence, like scooters but smashier.

Quote from: GMTV on February 11, 2020, 01:51:56 PM
Don't know anything in the slightest about what you're talking about, but I reckon you're right mate.

Stupid Mick Paddy, right? What's he like.

NoOffenceLynn

I know there was an "amnesty" given to people who were applying for their test but never took it and were granted a full licence. This was due to a backlog in applications.
I think that's why there seems to be such older selfrightous/dangerous twats on the road these days.

Having said that, until a few you ago you could drive on a provisional license, fail your test a few times and still be insured.

A Driving Instructor could say "I'm sorry to tell you, you have failed your driving test, you are a danger to yourself and everyone on the road, be careful when driving home"

Malcy

Don't think anyone really knows how to drive in Ireland. Especially the huge amount that will drive half on one lane of dual carriageway and half in the hard shoulder.

When I lived there there was loads of people I knew off the road for drink driving and most of the rest just hadn't been caught yet.

I was shocked when someone told me they had got a full licence out in the post despite not even applying for it.

Friend of mine was caught drink driving 3 times in a week. Only on the third occasion did they actually decide to keep his keys. He was given 3 months in jail and released the next morning because they didn't have the room.

gilbertharding

Fambo Number Mive

Never been to Ireland, but I doubt they are any worse than English drivers. Using your phone while driving or drinking tea while driving seems to be more and more common. There isn't the infrastructure or resources to properly police driving in England. Driving is a privilege not a right (unless you live in a rural area or your disability means you can't use public transport) and a large percentage of those driving around should not be on the road.

I don't think the problem in England is with the driving test but how easy it is to get away with driving dangerously and how short driving bans are. More banned drivers on public transport would increase public transport revenue and make more people care about public transport as well.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Dog Botherer on February 11, 2020, 01:13:34 PM
took me 3 goes. but i'm a shit driver. so it's probably easy enough. yank one is like driving go-karts easy.

Agree, it's down to the automatic transmission. If you can open and close a car door and not kill anyone while doing that, then basically you've passed.

paruses

Quote from: Malcy on February 11, 2020, 02:27:19 PM
Don't think anyone really knows how to drive in Ireland. Especially the huge amount that will drive half on one lane of dual carriageway and half in the hard shoulder.

When I lived there there was loads of people I knew off the road for drink driving and most of the rest just hadn't been caught yet.

I was shocked when someone told me they had got a full licence out in the post despite not even applying for it.

Friend of mine was caught drink driving 3 times in a week. Only on the third occasion did they actually decide to keep his keys. He was given 3 months in jail and released the next morning because they didn't have the room.

It's only just become the case that being done for drink driving gets you an automatic ban rather than points, hasn't it? One of the Healy-Raes was lamenting it as the end of rural life in Ireland.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: paruses on February 11, 2020, 03:11:01 PM
It's only just become the case that being done for drink driving gets you an automatic ban rather than points, hasn't it? One of the Healy-Raes was lamenting it as the end of rural life in Ireland.

A proposal to increase the limit for old people in rural areas so they could drive to and from the pub was also purposed.

Heaven forbid the landlords or community find a way to get them there and back.

Glebe

I'm 44 and I have never sat behind the wheel of a car.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 11, 2020, 02:40:54 PM
Never been to Ireland, but I doubt they are any worse than English drivers. Using your phone while driving or drinking tea while driving seems to be more and more common. There isn't the infrastructure or resources to properly police driving in England. Driving is a privilege not a right (unless you live in a rural area or your disability means you can't use public transport) and a large percentage of those driving around should not be on the road.

I don't think the problem in England is with the driving test but how easy it is to get away with driving dangerously and how short driving bans are. More banned drivers on public transport would increase public transport revenue and make more people care about public transport as well.

You sound fun.

peanutbutter

Main difference I've noticed between Ireland and England wrt drivers is that a lot of English ones don't seem to believe in using indicators.

Ireland's test is pretty hard, but like, it seems to vary hugely depending on where you're taking it. There's a huge number of older drivers who never had to take it though and I imagine they're a disaster on a motorway when they've to go on one.

SteK

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 11, 2020, 02:38:15 PM
And MOT tests in Northern Ireland have been suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51273872

And sort of in the South too. Take your car for NCT (MOT) and they as use the same lift manufacturer they don't do the underside test, you get a fail, plus a nice note in case you get stopped by the Guards saying 'Let him off, he'll bring it back when we've sorted the lifts out and test the underside'.

So you have to take it back when they tell you for the rest of the test. And they warn you it's still your responsibility to ensure your car is road worth.

Only in Ireland.....

SteK

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 11, 2020, 05:06:07 PM
Main difference I've noticed between Ireland and England wrt drivers is that a lot of English ones don't seem to believe in using indicators.

Ireland's test is pretty hard, but like, it seems to vary hugely depending on where you're taking it. There's a huge number of older drivers who never had to take it though and I imagine they're a disaster on a motorway when they've to go on one.

Undertaking, it's rampant on the M50, it's like USA. And a complete lack of understanding about what a box junction is.

Was trying to get on the N2 tonight, there's this SUV ON the roundabout indicating left, then right, then left again doing 2mph, no other cars at all, so I overtake (on a roundabout not good but it is actually illegal?) and the SUV turns into me despite signalling left. Luckily I had the horses and it missed me.

Sebastian Cobb

Another bit of NI MOT weirdness I saw was that they worded their rules regarding washers on HID lights slightly different to the rest of the UK meaning cars that never had washers but did have HID lights were a failure, meaning people had to get them retrofitted. In fact someone on a car forum just ran some aquarium tubing from their washer line and gaffer taped it to their bumper to get a pass.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 11, 2020, 05:06:07 PM

A lot of drivers in England don't indicate before turning into a road which makes it quite scary when one wants to cross the road. And you get a few who leave their indicator on after having turned into the road they are driving along so you think they are going to turn again into the road you are about to cross but they aren't.

touchingcloth

Quote from: SteK on February 11, 2020, 07:35:43 PM
Undertaking, it's rampant on the M50, it's like USA. And a complete lack of understanding about what a box junction is.

Was trying to get on the N2 tonight, there's this SUV ON the roundabout indicating left, then right, then left again doing 2mph, no other cars at all, so I overtake (on a roundabout not good but it is actually illegal?) and the SUV turns into me despite signalling left. Luckily I had the horses and it missed me.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 12, 2020, 08:46:38 AM
A lot of drivers in England don't indicate before turning into a road which makes it quite scary when one wants to cross the road. And you get a few who leave their indicator on after having turned into the road they are driving along so you think they are going to turn again into the road you are about to cross but they aren't.

These people are all cunts, but somehow the ones I find the worst are the ones who are aware that their car has an indicator and that they are supposed to use it, but who don't turn the signal on until after they have started their manoeuvre as if it's some form of sympathetic magic.

Sebastian Cobb

idunnosomename

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE

WHAT ARE YOU A CHILD