Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Godfather Part III

Started by Blinder Data, February 11, 2020, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

Quote from: kalowski on February 14, 2020, 10:39:34 PM
Interesting point. I wonder when the transformation took place.
I don't remember him overacting in Sea of Love (1989) but Scent of a Woman (1992) was über Al. Although I did enjoy Glengarry Glen Ross which was the same year. Following that, it's "Hoo Ha" all the way down, even if I could happily enjoy Carlito's Way (1993) and Donnie Brasco (1997).

I'd say he's given a  fair few really quite good performances post "Hoo Ha": Heat, The Insider, Insomnia and The Irishman as well the ones you mention. In The Insider and Insomnia in particular he's a bit more restrained. He's probably had a better career than DeNiro has had post Goodfellas.

Gulftastic

He's fantastic in Donnie Brasco as the shabby gangster, trying to climb the ladder but having no clue how to do it.

peanutbutter

Pacino's generally pretty solid, no? The main issue is that he's obviously focusing primarily on entertaining himself and what entertains him jars considerably with those mid 70s performances.

Insomnia and You Don't Know Jack are more subdued performances iirc?

Epic Bisto

I see no difference between Pacino (Scent Of A Woman onwards) and Lionel Blair.  Godfather III should've ended with Jim Bowen, Keith Chegwin and the rubber-faced hitman putting Michael in a cheap set of stocks, pulling down his trousers and leaving him to collapse on his face outside the opera house while Bobby Davro points and laughs in between adjusting his neck brace.  All accompanied by a maudlin Nino Rota soundtrack.

dissolute ocelot

I confuse the plot of Godfather Part III and Kevin Smith's Dogma. Don't both involve some kind of fallen angels trying to get into heaven via some kind of indulgence/jubilee, with hilarious consequences?