Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The cheek of Ed Davey and a more general Lib Dem Watch thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 11, 2020, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

A tweet in response to Johnson's bridge distraction plan

QuoteNo.

Instead, let's build a country where people don't need food banks, sleep on the streets, or wait months to see doctors.

Let's build solutions to the urgent crises facing us now. Let's not burn £20bn of taxpayer money on vanity projects and diversion.

If Ed Davey was so concerned about people needing food banks or sleeping on the streets, then he shouldn't have voted for the Bedroom Tax (26 Nov and 17 Nov 2014), introducing Universal Credit 915th June 2011), against guaranteeing jobs for the long term unemployed (27th Nov and 15th May 2013) or against against those who have been ill or disabled since their youth receiving Employment and Support Allowance on the same basis as if they had made sufficient National Insurance contributions to qualify for a contribution based allowance (1st Feb 2012).

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10155/edward_davey/kingston_and_surbiton/votes

What is the difference between Ed Davey and Jo Swinson? How do Lib Dem party members and supporters justify this? Are they all really middle class and never had to rely on social security or been unemployed?

bgmnts

Johnny Yesno

Not forgetting https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jo-swinson-could-parachuted-house-21101824

QuoteLib Dem ex-leader Jo Swinson could be parachuted into the House of Lords after leading her party to general election humiliation.

She claimed she could become Prime Minister on December 12 but instead she lost her own seat as the party sunk from 21 MPs to just 11.

Acting party boss Sir Ed Davey said he wanted her "back in Parliament as soon as possible".

She could make a swift return to Westminster if the Lib Dems nominate her to become a Baroness in the Dissolution Honours List.

Sir Ed, who lost to Ms Swinson in the race for the party leadership last summer, told Sky News: "The whole party is deeply upset and disappointed.

"Jo was a friend and a colleague and I want her back in Parliament as soon as possible.

"She has so much to offer British politics and our thoughts are with her and her family but we know that she has a bright future and we thank her for what she did.

"I hope that we can ensure that what she argued for and her legacy on the Brexit issue can continue because Liberal Democrats will continue to oppose Brexit in Parliament."

Sending her to the House of Lords, where peers pocket £305-a-day just for turning up, would be seen as a reward for failure.

Ms Swinson was initially boosted by welcoming eight defectors and winning a by-election in July.

But she was mocked for her claim her party could win hundreds of seats and she could walk into No10.

She switched the Lib Dem Brexit policy away from demanding a second referendum and instead vowed to scrap EU withdrawal altogether if she became PM.

He added: "We've got to focus on ensuring we learn the lessons properly in a quite a deep, profound way.

"One of the lessons I have to say is it can be very difficult for the Liberal Democrats to make progress when there is a hard-left leader of the Labour Party - we found that in 1983 with Michael Foot, we found it in spades in 2019 with Jeremy Corbyn .

"If you look at the Conservative leaflets in Liberal Democrat constituencies, it wasn't so much 'get Brexit done' they were talking about, they were saying if you vote Liberal Democrat you'll get Jeremy Corbyn and that fear factor was a massive issue in the General Election."

Johnny Yesno

thenoise

Do Lib Dems still talk about the coalition government as if it was a high point of our political history? Imagine actually thinking that.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: thenoise on February 11, 2020, 03:47:58 PM
Do Lib Dems still talk about the coalition government as if it was a high point of our political history? Imagine actually thinking that.

They claim they "moderated" the 2010-15 Tory government, rather than admitting they enabled it.

Fambo Number Mive

Cuellar

'Dirty' Ed Davey, that's what I call him.

'Dirty' Ed Davey.

thenoise

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 11, 2020, 04:04:18 PM
They claim they "moderated" the 2010-15 Tory government, rather than admitting they enabled it.

privatising the post office was a lib dem policy - fucking disaster.

AV referendum was a lib dem policy - fucking disaster.

Referendum for membership of the EU was a lib dem policy - fucking disaster.

gilbertharding

Cuellar

Cuellar

Johnny Yesno

Edit: Ah, it's okay. twitter images often display as broken links on my work machine.

Clickable link here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbIzyL0X4AEtrEl?format=jpg

Fambo Number Mive

What a surprise that the editor of the New Statesman defends them: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/lib-dems-leadership-wera-hobhouse-ed-davey-jo-swinson-apologising-coalition-1390592

Another post by Edward Davey, who voted against capping rail fair increases and reducing public transport fares:

Quote"#HS2 must be the start of the rail revolution. We've got to see rail links built in the North and the Midlands where there are appalling rail services." -
@EdwardJDavey

I'm sure rail users in the North and Midlands will be delighted by Davey's votes to keep rail fares high. He also voted against greater public control of bus services. He never voted on a publically owned railway system.

thenoise

Haha, so you are 'committed left' if you don't support Lib Dems cosying up with the Tories for a brief whiff of power. I thought the 'committed left' voted Labour?

idunnosomename

If me, as left as they come, votes for Boris Johnson, then the left need to sort themselves out.