Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bulgaria thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, February 11, 2020, 10:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Hey! I was going to do a pun for this thread title but after wracking my brains and landing only on "Great Fun-cool Bulgaria" or "Sofia Copphola-day" I decided a better option was to declare myself a stupid idiot bellend.

Anyway i am going off to Sofia, the big capital bit of Bulgaria in about a month, and yes this is a generic 'what do I do' travel thing if anyone has any of that sort of stuff on hand. Basic facts are as follows: I am there with my girlfriend, I am there for three nights, I do not have very much money and l like hills/buildings/museums/booze/food/fucking about on public transport/fun things. I'd also like to do a day trip somewhere else on one of the days, maybe Plovdiv or somewhere but I'm not sure. So if anyone knows anything about Bulgaria or Sofia then drop your thought-logs in my thread-bog. Cheers.

Shit Good Nose

imitationleather

Shit Good Nose

You can never have too many light bonings.

bgmnts

Shag your girlfriend, eat some food, watch some Bulgarian telly.

Done.

touchingcloth

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Leslie Grantham moved to Bulgaria for some reason. He's dead now though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Plovdiv looks like a good bet. Roman ruins, Ottoman quarter, student centre.

Sofia has an enormous cathedral, and public baths which are apparently worth trying, for the low of squeam.

hamfist

I work with a few Bulgarian people, and they are truly lovely. One of them comes from Varna, and sent us a photo last time she visited.

This isn't her photo, but it is Varna :

Phwoar.

I got punched by a man from Plovdiv. He was, and presumably still is, a very nice man though.

Harry Badger

Go on one of the free daily tours of the city. The same people organise paid ones relating to Communist history etc. https://freesofiatour.com/

Also check out the Nazi graffti by the CSKA Sofia ground, but be careful as a scary looking racist man may come out of his hut and chase you away. Lots of football hooligan and Nazi memorabilia for sale there too if that's your thing.

And be careful of the cab drivers as some of them will rip you the fuck off.

undeliberated

Best city for a day trip is Veliko Turnovo - a bit less cultural and museum-y stuff than Plovdiv but really spectacular scenery instead.

Sofia's cool but not the best bit of Bulgaria for a short trip: - if you're just there for 3-4 days I'd probably trip out to Turnovo, Plovdiv, and the Rila Monastery for a day each, and then evenings in Sofia check out the area between Serdika metro stop (which is all roman ruins) and the Nevski cathedral (this stretch contains the national art museum, the parliament, and the archaeological museum), then once those are closed, wander round the better-lit areas of some of the public parks (the huge square outside NDK, the Borisova Gradina, the Liberation Park) where everyone sits out drinking with their friends.

Good places for evening are Stroeja (rock club), Hambala (a candlelit bar in an old barn), the Apartment (cakes, drink, board games in an actual apartment). If you want a more hedonistic version of the local nightlife, see if you can get into a Chalga (something like bulgarian 'turbofolk') club.

And yeah, the city tours are better than usual: really good guides.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Veliko Tarnovo's a long way away though so not sure if that's a realistic recommendation for a short trip. Looks like a very cool city in terms of layout and appearance.

Norton Canes

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I don't drive so I will be entirely reliant on public transport. Hope it's not a pile of shit!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on February 12, 2020, 06:39:32 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I don't drive so I will be entirely reliant on public transport. Hope it's not a pile of shit!

Couple of hours to Plovdiv on the train. I bet the Sofia city transport is clunky but dirt cheap and remorseless in its reliability.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I love that there's a place in the world called Plovdiv.

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 12, 2020, 06:46:47 PM

You're the only plovdiv around here pal

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ferris

Sorry, got carried away by the Bulgaria chat. As you were.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oh don't worry, I'm not arsed. You can call me a Plovdiv all night long, honey.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 12, 2020, 06:46:47 PM

Unreasonably this city has previously apparently gone by Philippopolis and Trimontium, which are equally glorious names.

Just centrifuging the last bit of Trimontium dear, then we can hold the world to nuclear ransom

All Surrogate

I really enjoyed visiting the national archaeological museum in Sofia. It has some exquisite and interesting artifacts, a lot of which are solid gold, and the building itself is rather nice. The Banya Bashi mosque is beautiful as well.