Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New NHS bill

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 12, 2020, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Only the Independent seems to be covering this:

Boris Johnson is planning to use new health legislation to impose ministerial control over the NHS.

QuoteA bill to be introduced this year will contain new powers for ministers, including Mr Johnson, to issue instructions to NHS England's chief executive, Sir Simon Stevens.

The move, which is understood to have been developed over the past year by the health secretary, Matt Hancock, is likely to raise concerns that Conservative ministers could seek to use new powers to extend private-sector involvement in the NHS.

Under the current terms, Sir Simon's position is operationally independent, but the prime minister is said to be concerned that this arrangement makes it difficult for Downing Street to force through changes to the system...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-new-law-simon-stevens-tory-ministers-a9324761.html

I'm assuming that this a way that the Tories can privatise more of the NHS or something equally dubious.

Fambo Number Mive

I know some people don't like such threads but I think it's important to discuss this and a lot of people might not be aware of this story.

DeadJefferson

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 12, 2020, 09:36:30 AM
I know some people don't like such threads but I think it's important to discuss this and a lot of people might not be aware of this story.

jobotic

Once again DeadJefferson pops up as Paulie is making a twat of himself (but in a different thread this time - clever).

Why do you fucking bother?

Pinball

This is a terrible development, and the opposite of what should happen, which is distancing politicians from the NHS. My preference would be for a Health Policy Committee to take over from ministers, much like the MPC does with the BoE, which has been quite successful at stopping short-termist and lobbied politicians from fucking things up too much, because they don't have direct control.

Ah well. The NHS is now even more fucked than it was.

bgmnts

This is what the people want.

Get it done. Get the NHS hollowed out and used as a revenue stream for Tory donors. We need doers not thinkers. Who cares what you're doing, just get it done - then do something else and get that done.

"I've got a massive mandate to be a massive twat"

Shit Good Nose

Northern Rail brought back into public ownership, social services gradually moving back in to local authority remits, and no doubt more to follow over the next few years - what is it the tories don't get about certain things not being suitable as profit making enterprises????

idunnosomename

well, at least we stopped jermy crobbins and his jew-hating pronoun-declaring nonsense

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 12, 2020, 01:32:54 PM
well, at least we stopped jermy crobbins and his jew-hating pronoun-declaring nonsense

Report out?

Russia report out?

DIEEEEEEEEEE

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 12, 2020, 01:32:54 PM

Perhaps now he can get back to doing The Wombles.  Not in a sexy way.