Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frankie Boyle's Tour of Scotland

Started by Default to the negative, February 12, 2020, 11:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
The first episode of this is on iPlayer. I thought it was alright. It does its job as a travelogue and he chooses some interesting places to visit, including a hermit's hideout and a hippy commune. Along the way he frequently makes his dry and morbid asides, some of which are funny. While at Glen Coe, he speculates at length on Jimmy Savile's reasons for making a holiday home on the site of a massacre. That's a good bit. There's some politics in the episode, like raising the issue of land ownership in the Scottish countryside and how it's all too easy for people like Trump to buy want they want, with no benefit to the locals. The next episode will be about Boyle at the Edinburgh Fringe.

Anyone watching it?

Malcy

Not got round to it yet. I was at one of his WIP shows last year where he said this show was coming and he was trying out material for it. Be interesting to see what made it on.

Utter Shit

Yeah I watched it. I find his character change very odd. Seemingly overnight he went from loud and aggressive lad-type to this quiet, slightly camp guy. I get the feeling from reading interviews and his books that this is the real him (no wonder he hated Mock The Week), but I still haven't quite got used to it. The humour hasn't changed massively - less personally-directed maybe, but just as bleak and misanthropic - but the delivery is unrecognisable. 

The hermit seemed lovely, and weirdly un-weird. Started to nod off around the commune part.

dissolute ocelot

Michael Portillo was just on a couple of weeks ago doing a tour of Scotland, at a TV antenna near Falkirk when I chanced upon it. Wonder if they ever crossed paths? With the growth in Scottish TV channels soon every man, woman and child will have filmed their own TV travelogue. Just as well Scotland's so photogenic/weird as fuck.

Sin Agog

His new lowkey delivery makes it even harder for me to pay attention to those violent purple longeurs he does (might need to replay the Saville bit).  He is a good guy, though, and I could completely relate to things like staring out at abandoned islands and imagining setting up shop in them.  The hermit/Catweazle seemed awfully sweet as well.  I did notice that slight verbal lag I get when I haven't spoken to anyone in a few days.

poodlefaker

Of course they crossed paths, probably had dinner together, discussing goings on in the Celebrity Traveloguers Club, and whether they should consider an application for membership from Rory Stewart.

Jonathan Meades did Findhorn in one of his first programmes for BBC about 30 years ago; doesn't look like it's changed much.

the hum

Enjoyed it quite a bit, was good to get the little section on our utterly inept prehistoric land ownership laws - and Andy Wightman is one of the most knowledgeable in the field (his book on the subject 'The Poor Had No Lawyers' is well worth a read, albeit there's a lot to take in). I really like his more low key delivery, it's much more him.

Mobius

Yeah he's become quite a likeable chap in the last few years. The jokes are as dark as ever but he's become a bit softer and more approachable. He definitely seems more comfortable. I watched some review of the year thing he did a few weeks ago and laughed out loud at quite a few jokes, which always surprises me as I expect to be bored of the edgy rapey jokes and that.

Jockice

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 12, 2020, 03:28:03 PM
Michael Portillo was just on a couple of weeks ago doing a tour of Scotland, at a TV antenna near Falkirk when I chanced upon it. Wonder if they ever crossed paths? With the growth in Scottish TV channels soon every man, woman and child will have filmed their own TV travelogue. Just as well Scotland's so photogenic/weird as fuck.

Portillo did Dumbarton a few years ago. Let me know if Boyle goes there please. I don't care much for the rest of Scotland.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 12, 2020, 03:38:53 PM
those violent purple longeurs he does

That's a nice description. I like them- the one about the Large Hadron Collider fucking a gaping hole in time itself[nb] or something along those lines[/nb] was quite something.

Not keen on the big beard. He's a handsome man, don't know why he persists with it.

I seem to have acquired his habit of wrinkling his nose and making his glasses ride up.

derek stitt

Have just spent twenty minutes finding out about horse body language and I think Boyle was right, the horses were enjoying watching him be a silly sod. Talking of being silly, the stupid grin after the awful but wonderful joke about the Gaelic gods name sounding like a descriptor of Savile was a joy to see. It is good to see people in comedy just have a laugh every now and again. It's better than them being all edgelordy all the bleeding time.  Also, you can tell Boyle is a city type cos the shots of the countryside were wank and he is scared of fields.

robhug

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 12, 2020, 02:53:48 PM
Yeah I watched it. I find his character change very odd. Seemingly overnight he went from loud and aggressive lad-type to this quiet, slightly camp guy. I get the feeling from reading interviews and his books that this is the real him (no wonder he hated Mock The Week), but I still haven't quite got used to it. The humour hasn't changed massively - less personally-directed maybe, but just as bleak and misanthropic - but the delivery is unrecognisable. 

The hermit seemed lovely, and weirdly un-weird. Started to nod off around the commune part.

I cant really see the slightly campness you talk about, unless you mean that fact he slightly waddles now he's morbidly obese?

Utter Shit

Maybe camp isn't quite the right term. It's his voice, it's slightly effeminate now. Not massively so, but a big change from the aggression and shoutiness of his Mock The Week persona.

poodlefaker

Quote from: derek stitt on February 13, 2020, 04:37:39 AM
Talking of being silly, the stupid grin after the awful but wonderful joke about the Gaelic gods name sounding like a descriptor of Savile was a joy to see. It is good to see people in comedy just have a laugh every now and again. It's better than them being all edgelordy all the bleeding time. 

I was more surprised by the Yemen-aid gag, becuase it was an actual, trad, unironic JOKE. With a punchline. So unexpected.

derek stitt

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 13, 2020, 11:38:31 AM
I was more surprised by the Yemen-aid gag, becuase it was an actual, trad, unironic JOKE. With a punchline. So unexpected.

The Hawaiian shirt too.

I like this version of Boyle, it's genuinely him.

derek stitt

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 13, 2020, 11:36:26 AM
Maybe camp isn't quite the right term. It's his voice, it's slightly effeminate now. Not massively so, but a big change from the aggression and shoutiness of his Mock The Week persona.

I am with you, he's a proper camp Ada now. Far from the Kenneth Williams class of over reaction and certainly less acid. More of a secondary role in Russ Meyer film or a Doctor Smith if Mike Leigh directed, Lost in Space.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No need for him to laugh so much at his own jokes, was there? David Baddiel would have got crucified for that on ' ere.

Would liked to have heard a bit more from that hermit, too.

the hum

Quote from: derek stitt on February 13, 2020, 02:59:52 PM
I am with you, he's a proper camp Ada now. Far from the Kenneth Williams class of over reaction and certainly less acid. More of a secondary role in Russ Meyer film or a Doctor Smith if Mike Leigh directed, Lost in Space.

It's not particularly new though, I think it's just his genuine off stage tone of voice, softly spoken and slightly camp. Probably just weirds people out who are used to his fairly aggressive stage presence. I first noticed it when he did Artist Taxi Driver interview circa 2014 (sadly no longer on youtube).

the hum

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 13, 2020, 09:52:49 PM
No need for him to laugh so much at his own jokes, was there? David Baddiel would have got crucified for that on ' ere.

Boyle does have a slightly higher aptitude for being funny tho'

derek stitt

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 13, 2020, 09:52:49 PM

Yes but, Frankie Boyle possesses funny bones David Baddiel doesn't. I am sorry but, David Baddiel is an awful comedian.  How he's been in the public eye for thirty years is beyond me and I Don't have anything against him. He just ain't funny.

Just seen post above, sorry.

Blue Jam

This is being repeated and episode 1 is back on iplayer now. Watching for the first time and enjoying it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mobius on February 12, 2020, 09:33:04 PM
He definitely seems more comfortable.

He always seems pretty uncomfortable on camera these days. Seemed a lot more confident and relaxed when he was hiding behind the more aggressive persona. Looked most at ease in the stand-up clips where he's letting some of that out.