Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

True Crime.

Started by bgmnts, February 12, 2020, 07:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Danger Man on February 18, 2020, 01:50:51 PM
Well the guy in question owned similar clothes to the person in the video and had the same unusual walk and had an alibi of "I was at home when the murder happened" so it seems only right that the police had a good look at him.

Absolutely. It was more that I found the news footage itself strange, almost as is the police has asked for the footage to edited in a certain way in order to shit the guy up a little bit, maybe make him panic.

Quote from: Danger Man on February 18, 2020, 01:50:51 PMChris Watts- Not very mysterious but pretty much everything from him returning to his house at the request of the police to the lie detector, interrogation and trial is available on YouTube. The guy's a real jerk.

Total jerk, but I've never felt such second-hand tension as when watching the police bodycam footage, especially when they're watching the neighbour's security camera recordings and you can see Chris is just about keeping it together. Inside I'm like, ffs man, just end this now!

Hand Solo

Chris Watts was going to stage his wife and daughters' death by making it look like they drove to the oil site to find him and there was an explosion which incinerated their bodies (including the evidence of strangulation/suffocation) and he would have got away with it, if it weren't for those pesky neighbours. He was literally scuppered by leaving his wife's shoes in the foyer, which his neighbour could see when she went to remind her about a doctor appointment and knew she must not have left the house and called the police, this completely fucked Watts' plan so he had no chance to come home from work and arrange the scene to fit his story. Then the other neighbour obviously had the CCTV footage showing Watts suspiciously loading up his truck early in the morning with no sign of his wife or children leaving the house, in fact he can be seen dragging (bodies) to the truck on closer inspection.

Danger Man

He could still have tried to claim innocence but he made the mistake of agreeing to be questioned and do a lie detector.

If he had gotten a lawyer and kept his mouth shut the police would have had a much harder case to prove.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 18, 2020, 05:03:59 PM
Chris Watts was going to stage his wife and daughters' death by making it look like they drove to the oil site to find him and there was an explosion which incinerated their bodies (including the evidence of strangulation/suffocation) and he would have got away with it, if it weren't for those pesky neighbours.

Haven't heard that theory - is there more info on it somewhere?

Yeah, he wasn't counting on the neighbours calling the police, that's what did him in. His mind must have been racing as he drove back from the oil site.

Bazooka

I highly recommend this channel Jim Can't Swim, he does great analysis, you murder heads probably know all the cases well, Chris Watts obviously.  The Colonel Russell Willians video is excellent.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYwVxWpjeKFWwu8TML-Te9A/videos

Hand Solo

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 18, 2020, 06:28:08 PM
Haven't heard that theory - is there more info on it somewhere?

Someone pieced together that was probably the plan of action in one of those Real Crime vlogs on Youtube but I can't remember which one it was - there was a similar case where a guy saved a family from an oil explosion and was a hero which they think gave Watts the idea.

It might have been TRUE CRIME Loser, he goes over a lot of these kinds of cases and has developed the catchphrase "Why Steiivan, why?!" from the detective doing the interrogating in the Stephen McDaniel case.

This video I think might go over the theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uauohtghzL4

Perhaps one of the most calculated interrogations was of Col Russell Williams, who thought because of his army rank he was too respected and smart to be caught, and it took a lot of wrangling to force a confession, using evidence that I'm sure wouldn't have guaranteed a conviction but was enough to break his stoicism and force his hand

QuoteYeah, he wasn't counting on the neighbours calling the police, that's what did him in. His mind must have been racing as he drove back from the oil site.

It's his dumbstruck face as he's watching video of himself loading the bodies into the truck right in front of a police officer and his suspicious neighbour trying to assess exactly how fucked his is. Yet he still tries to play it off as his wife and daughters just disappeared!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Danger Man on February 18, 2020, 01:50:51 PM
Maura Murray- True crime podcasters will shed bitter tears if Maura is ever found as she is almost a standalone industry. Girl with some issues drives somewhere at night, has a minor accident and vanishes. Many millions of hours have been spent debating where she might be now.
This is a fascinating one (I saw the Oxygen Channel show aboout it), but there wasn't a ton more to relate that you couldn't get through in a one hour ID Channel show, which is where I first heard about her.

Still never bothered listening to a true crime podcast, partly because my extremely dull office-mate loves them.

Danger Man

The Staircase took the murder of Kathleen Peterson and stretched it over ten hours. Forensic Files covered it in 25 minutes and covered all the main points.

Forensic Files is just perfect for TV true crime.

EOLAN

Quote from: Danger Man on February 18, 2020, 07:25:14 PM
The Staircase took the murder of Kathleen Peterson and stretched it over ten hours. Forensic Files covered it in 25 minutes and covered all the main points.

Forensic Files is just perfect for TV true crime.

Oh yes. I remember watching that Forensic Files after the Staircase. It was quite funny seeing something take a totally different take on the whole subject matter.

The Staircase tone: A slow build-up. This Bill Gates lookalike is a human you know. The evidence - ooh there are some coincidences. Ooh the prosecutors are playing up on homophobia. We don't really know. Should he really be prosecuted. Seems too circumstantial.

The Forensic Files: Quick and to the point. This guy is a guilty as hell idiot, obviously. Stupid murdering scum. Get your just desserts and enjoy prison you detestable turd. 

H-O-W-L

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2020, 09:34:29 PM
Wales is as close to rural Minnesota as any part of England

Coen Brothers consider relocating Fargo sequel

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

My favourite "true crime" documentary is more of a historical documentary and that's Murdair Mhám Trasna. It recounts the brutal annihilation of the Joyce family in 1882 in Mám Trasna, Co. Mayo, and how the political tensions and deep cultural divide at the time affected how the case was handled and who was found guilty.

Another one I found interesting was There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane, about Diane Schuler, a woman who, in 2009, drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway, colliding headlong with another car and killing herself, her three nieces, her daughter and the three men in the other vehicle. Her family insisted that she had suffered some sort of medical crisis and that the autopsy and toxicology reports, which showed she was drunk and high at the time, were wrong. What's interesting about the documentary is how her family and friends, without meaning to, tell on her and on themselves, and the picture that emerges of this woman who styled herself as Supermom but was obviously very troubled.

Bazooka

Menhaz Zaman

Lied for years about going to college and then committed familycide because they were soon to rumble him.

https://torontolife.com/city/crime/he-seemed-like-the-perfect-son-then-he-confessed-to-slaughtering-his-family-with-a-crowbar/?utm_source=digg

Yussef Dent

The Strange Case of Stephanie Lazarus, described by the prosecutor in the trial as the story of "a bite, a bullet, a gun barrel and a broken heart."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lOuZMyEso

A love-triangle-based murder case that was allowed to go cold for over twenty years through circumstance and cover-up as a botched burglary, as the perpetrator became a revered pillar of the community in her role as a police officer and detective. The brilliant thing in this is how the detectives who reignited the case as one of murder had to be incredibly cunning when it came to arresting the true killer, it's absolute genius.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Yussef Dent on February 28, 2020, 05:52:59 PM
The Strange Case of Stephanie Lazarus, described by the prosecutor in the trial as the story of "a bite, a bullet, a gun barrel and a broken heart."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lOuZMyEso

I had to turn that video off, due to the cringe inducing attempts by your man there to make irreverent and inappropriate gags throughout a video about a real-life murder.

imitationleather

I say that jokes can be made about this sort of stuff without seeming inappropriate. But it hinges on the talent, likeability and tone of the person producing the video.

I think True Crime Loser nails it in this regard. He's done a few on Lazarus but it begins here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTL9HNoIZE

Jim Bob

Quote from: imitationleather on February 29, 2020, 02:23:29 PM
I say that jokes can be made about this sort of stuff without seeming inappropriate. But it hinges on the talent, likeability and tone of the person producing the video.

Oh, yes.  I'd agree with that.  I do believe that one can make a joke about any subject, but as you say, it depends greatly upon the context and personality of the person making the joke.  The problem with the video in question is that it's a 'YouTube personality" doing the same crap shtick that you'd see in your average retro videogame review.  It's acceptable for those kinds of videos, but it seems horribly out of place here.  This isn't intended as a comedy video.  It's quite clearly intended as a true crime video; an informative piece, but the YouTuber is so used to putting jokes into his videos, so he feels obliged to do so here too, without considering how it comes across.  It's tone deaf.

For example, at once point he says "[the murderer] then joined the police force" and then decides to pipe in the Police Academy theme.  I mean, what are you even doing?!  It's a blatant case of the person being more interested in impressing people with just how funny he is (he's not) and completely losing sight of what the point of the video is in the process.  I would defy anyone to watch the opening 5 minutes of that video and tell me that the humour is anything other than woefully misplaced and misjudged.  Also, rather crucially, it's not funny.

But yes, I agree that jokes about real-life murders can work, in theory.  It just needs someone with real talent to do so, not some upstart narcissistic Youtuber, looking for likes, subscriptions and admiration for how hilarious he is, when he's anything but.

imitationleather

I didn't watch the video beyond the first few seconds because I immediately clocked that the guy wasn't going to be my cup of tea.

Hand Solo

This is the most detailed and professional murder confession I've ever seen, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

NOT GUILTY!

A morbid fascination with grisly crimes and capers is as old as human life isn't it. Like moths drawn to light

Hand Solo

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 26, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
A morbid fascination with grisly crimes and capers is as old as human life isn't it. Like moths drawn to light

Like you to the Captain Tom thread.

Bazooka

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 26, 2020, 11:44:29 AM
This is the most detailed and professional murder confession I've ever seen, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

NOT GUILTY!

I knew it was him instantly from your description .  I've been absolutely battering through true crime, true crime daily videos on YouTube one after another in the background, must have heard about the demise of at least 60 people in the last week.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 26, 2020, 11:44:29 AM

NOT GUILTY!

what was the horror jump scare hidden image just after the opening credits?

Hand Solo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 26, 2020, 08:38:00 PM
what was the horror jump scare hidden image just after the opening credits?

No idea, it literally appears for 1 frame.

BlodwynPig

Thanks and no thank. Ugh! I thought it might relate to the murderer, but its not that sort of stylised documentary . Bizarre

Over the last few months my wife and I have watched 24 Hours In Police Custody, Murder 24/7 and are now onto The Detectives. I just can't get enough of this fly on the wall police stuff. Anyone know anything else in a similar vein? Some people recommend The Force...but I found that a bit Police, Camera, Actiony. Not enough grit or depth.

I've started to watch McMillions on the Sky Documentary Channel. 4 episodes in and it's getting toasty.

Neomod

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 30, 2020, 08:05:49 AM
I've started to watch McMillions on the Sky Documentary Channel. 4 episodes in and it's getting toasty.

I really enjoyed this.