Author Topic: Wes Anderson's making his film again  (Read 3116 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Re: Wes Anderson's making his film again
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »
Could it be very early cinema? That period where they basically bolted the camera down and filmed as a traditional stage layout.

I don't think that's all of it, but there's a definite link there. He plays about with aspect ratios to match too.

Sound did this, in many ways it put cinematography back quite a bit as the cameras had to be boxed off and silenced and sets fitted with mics, putting an end to experimentalism smaller, portable clockwork cameras were allowing.

Bronzy

• This Guy's a Real Jerk!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
I've enjoyed most of his films but (and this is a spectacularly poorly explained theory, apologies) I always feel as if they're referencing something I don't quite get. The stylisation and idiosyncracies etc. feel as if they're supposed to make you think of something, or some fictional world, which it fits with and makes more sense than it does in this one, but because I/we don't actually know what that thing or world is then half the point is lost on me/us, and I/we'd get a lot more out of them if I/we knew what it was he was trying to invoke. Completely different style but it's the same feeling I get watching Yorgos Lanthimos films (apart from The Favourite, which I haven't seen but understand it isn't in "that" style). Maybe I'm just thick.

Buster Keaton, likely.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UWEjxkkB8Xs

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »
Could it be very early cinema? That period where they basically bolted the camera down and filmed as a traditional stage layout.

I don't think that's all of it, but there's a definite link there. He plays about with aspect ratios to match too.

Yeah actually, that makes sense.

alan nagsworth

• aka the mollusk
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 11:14:08 AM »
People saying they can't watch his films because they're hipsterish or pretentious are ironically being pretentious themselves. Fair enough if you don't like the stories or style or whatever, but criticizing a filmmakers style because you think other people you don't like would like it is just cretinous, IMO.

I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Anderson's films but I completely agree with this statement. Just shows other people's insecurities against a side of humanity they think they totally understand, disregarding all of the wonderful nuances of humans in general. It's basically the intellectual equivalent of Whitesnake fans going on youtube and slagging fuck out of "the sort of shit kids are listening to nowadays". When kids kick back and say "you just don't get it, old man" they've got a really good point. They might not know how to elaborate on that point, but that's part of what makes it a magical and completely relevant argument.

chveik

• I feel like swimmin' in rat piss
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 01:28:48 PM »
yeah but Wes Anderson makes old people's films.

alan nagsworth

• aka the mollusk
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
You just don’t get it young man

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 09:20:36 PM »
I find his work repetitive, unfunny and completely empty. There are lots of nice shots, but that alone can't hold my attention for two hours.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 10:33:33 PM »
I showed Mrs 7D Rushmore as part of her asking me to pick something nice and easy to watch and she liked it. It was also less overtly stylised in the main dramatic bits, brilliantly cast, and I re-assert that in capturing a certain melancholy Eastern US he was once very good.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
He just has his own style. It's not trying to evoke anything. People refer to his movies as 'dollhouses', which I guess is appropriate, but he's just landed on a style that is energetic, visually appealing and unique. People saying they can't watch his films because they're hipsterish or pretentious are ironically being pretentious themselves. Fair enough if you don't like the stories or style or whatever, but criticizing a filmmakers style because you think other people you don't like would like it is just cretinous, IMO.

Is anyone on here doing that, though?

I mentioned hipsters, and other people have said they don't like his films, but we've all actually come up with quite specific issues. For example, I find that the films are often engaging and lashed with wit and charm, but that the hyperstylisation and kitsch seem to mask a vacuity and an irritating smugness, so while I enjoy watching them at the time, they leave me feeling a bit empty afterwards. Other people like the detail and pastiche a lot and find that they can connect more with the films, and hipsters are certainly one demographic who have adopted Anderson as a cultural icon. But it would be a stretch from there to say that I was saying I didn't like the films because hipsters do.

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
I do take issue with the idea that his style is uniquely his own. He's clearly very influenced by particular things, some of which he doesn't necessarily deploy as well as others.

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
His style is an amalgamation of lots and lots of other things. Which is fine because pretty much everybody's style is, but Anderson does seem to get singled out a lot more for it.

Looking at the poster for the new one it feels like it might be something along the lines of The Great Budapest Hotel, which I liked more than usual because it was a bit more knowingly fluffy and silly. Easier to go along for the ride.

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 04:25:10 PM »
more of a response to the person who said his style is his own and he isn't trying to evoke anything. No one's style is their own, really.

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2020, 10:19:56 PM »
When I saw Harold and Maude I assumed it was a massive influence on him and his "quirkiness".

icehaven

• Marmalade's reared it's head in every course
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 07:58:04 AM »
When I saw Harold and Maude I assumed it was a massive influence on him and his "quirkiness".

Yeah I can see that definitely!

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 04:55:16 PM »
All these complaints about Anderson using his particular style are just daft. It's like complaining about David Lynch doing a film with oppressive droning over everything. It's just his style. Fair enough if that's not your thing, but complaining that he's doing it again is like complaining that the desert is a bit sandy.

Tags: