Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 II - Bernie Topwin: "We'll see this trashcan dream come true"

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, February 13, 2020, 01:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Second install man of the long-running saga. First thread here: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,71407.0.html

As things stand on February 12, who will finish a distant third in the next primary and thereby gain all of the media's attention? Joe Biden? Michael Bloomberg? Is Martin O'Malley quietly running again?

Mister Six

Replies From View

Dewt

Famous Mortimer

Also, for all his talk about union healthcare plans being too important to give them away when it comes to his bullshit non-plan for US healthcare, he once went on a UAW picket line and asked "how much money is in your strike fund?" Not exactly the man of the people he pretends to be.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on February 13, 2020, 05:00:19 PM
Parody account maybe

If it's not, it's a fuckup. Millennials and Gen Zers are post-ironic generations. They value honesty and a willingness to change - not pointing out that you're an old, out-of-touch billionaire "as a joke" while doing nothing to challenge the system that lets you maintain your privilege.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Mister Six on February 13, 2020, 05:28:42 PM
If it's not, it's a fuckup. Millennials and Gen Zers are post-ironic generations. They value honesty and a willingness to change - not pointing out that you're an old, out-of-touch billionaire "as a joke" while doing nothing to challenge the system that lets you maintain your privilege.

It's unfortunate that honest and sincere people are among the easiest for dishonest and manipulative people to deceive.

Dewt

Paul Calf

Someone or something who thinks rationally can always be fooled by someone or something else that thinks at least equally rationally.

That's why conjurors and stage magicians fool scientists. It's important to acknowledge blind spots and not...you know...be a dick.

Dewt

Not sure what your point is. Kids can smell the shit on boomer memes from a mile away. There's an entire generation of coddled old fools and we're just trying to get them to fuck off Paul.

Cuellar

Weren't Fuckjerry the lot that did Fyre Festival? Are those real? Am I a normie for even asking?

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

Bloomberg paid some big meme accounts to make ironically shit memes about Bloomberg being cool or something.

phantom_power

Quote from: Paul Calf on February 13, 2020, 06:52:43 PM
Someone or something who thinks rationally can always be fooled by someone or something else that thinks at least equally rationally.

That's why conjurors and stage magicians fool scientists. It's important to acknowledge blind spots and not...you know...be a dick.

That analogy would only really hold if the scientists actually thought the magicians were magical, which they don't, in most cases

Urinal Cake

He's average- stumbles too much but he's no Biden. The main problem is his voice, it sounds a bit too high and whiny. Should deepen his voice like Buttigieg.

Bloomberg is throwing everything at advertising just to make sure something sticks and if it doesn't there'll be another one coming after. From traditional political ads, cute/corny ads with dogs, weird 2000s era ads like the Gingerbread man with Trump or Big Gay Ice Cream and of course Internet memes.  The better ones usually don't have Bloomberg in them at all or at a minimum.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Dewt on February 13, 2020, 05:02:57 PM
*Butthead trying to buy an audience*

This fucking hoob is openly buying black supporters

Ah for fuck's sake, does he genuinely not realise how bad this will look when it's inevitably shared?

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Dewt on February 13, 2020, 05:02:57 PM
This fucking hoob is openly buying black supporters

When I was watching news reports of Buttigieg's Iowa speech, I noticed that the front row of the crowd behind him largely had black "supporters" in it, which I thought might have been staged for the cameras given Pete's known struggles with winning black support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkicsYv4_g

Armin Meiwes

That comment about Buttigieg working on deepening his voice has just reminded me of Don't fuck with Cats guy, so v much doubling down on the whole Patrick Bateman thing.

Armin Meiwes

Bloomberg has got his strategy sussed out, now Bidens almost out of the picture and no one but weird Buttigieg fan boys realistically think he can do win the thing Bloomberg will become the defacto moderate choice when he enters, only problem he's got is why would Buttigieg drop out at this point (unless Bloomberg bungs him a couple of hundred mill I guess).

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on February 13, 2020, 11:20:24 PM
Bloomberg has got his strategy sussed out, now Bidens almost out of the picture and no one but weird Buttigieg fan boys realistically think he can do win the thing Bloomberg will become the defacto moderate choice when he enters, only problem he's got is why would Buttigieg drop out at this point (unless Bloomberg bungs him a couple of hundred mill I guess).

Is "what's moderate about a billionaire who's just less insane than the one already in office?" a stupid question?

It is, isn't it?

mojo filters

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on February 13, 2020, 09:53:14 PM
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1228012207348178944?s=20

Christ on shite Bloomberg is a awful public speaker.

He's always been that way, since he became a prominent public figure. I don't think that's his biggest problem though, as the right mix of outside consultants and coaches could improve a willing subject - at least to some degree.

Bloomberg's bigger issue will be his curt and dismissive attitude, when publicly challenged in an unscripted environment by combative folks - such as debate moderators and participants, plus members of the press from outside his own media empire.

Whilst Bloomberg can legitimately claim his record in both business and public service (though obviously the latter is throwing up daily problems) speaks to tangible success, he always does so with some degree of a patronising and superior tone.

Although he's obviously able to hire the best outside political consultants and so forth, so far his inner circle consists of long term Bloomberg staffers and members of his mayoral team.

I can see his logic in pulling someone like Tim O'Brien from his senior editorial team, as Tim not only wrote the 2005 tome TrumpNation but won the subsequent civil case brought by Trump - and got to see some illuminating tax returns in the process, though sadly he's not allowed to reveal specifics!

Bloomberg managed to win three terms as NYC mayor, going from Republican to independent to Democrat without suffering too much from the apparent (if potentially superficial) indecision. He was always notoriously brittle with an obvious superiority complex, when put on the back foot by challenging interviewers and so forth.

I can't see his previous nor current approach translating well to the national political stage. I suspect once he's made a bigger national impression around super Tuesday, his racial issues such as stop-and-frisk will be the least of his problems.

Assuming his polling qualifies him for the next NBC debate in Nevada (which looks like it will on current national polling trends) Bloomberg will need to have undergone some serious debate prep from experienced folks who do not have long term affiliations as subordinates of his - in order to avoid alienating folks with his defensive, quasi-lecturing tendencies.

He doesn't take criticism well. He's spent his public career mostly avoiding such, and folks of his age and status are not normally receptive to change.

It's one thing to make brief scripted remarks apologising for stains on his record; I'm struggling to see him managing a calm and voter-friendly public exterior when vociferously challenged in the heat of repeated challenges to multiple negative aspects of his presidential candidacy.

There's some chance he will learn to temper his brittle presentation, when it comes to answering difficult questions and also engaging with others over policy specifics. I'd not be so confident he'll manage to maintain such a disposition when challenged around buying his way into his candidacy - which clearly should be the first question directed to him during any debate.

Sin Agog