Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 II - Bernie Topwin: "We'll see this trashcan dream come true"

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, February 13, 2020, 01:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

he's endorsed Clinton and Obama as well so he's consistent on that regard. it doesn't make him less of a cunt obviously

kngen

saying the quiet part loud seems to be the aspect that's beyond the pale for a lot of these career Republicans

peanutbutter

Joe Kennedy III's impatient run for the senate where he basically has no arguments for why people should vote for him beyond "I'm younger" is pretty much him setting himself up for a 2024 run, right?

C_Larence

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 09, 2020, 12:52:15 AM
Joe Kennedy III's impatient run for the senate where he basically has no arguments for why people should vote for him beyond "I'm younger" is pretty much him setting himself up for a 2024 run, right?

https://twitter.com/edmarkey/status/1270189366997069826?s=21

Ed Markey giving Lee Harvey Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan a run for their money.

Fambo Number Mive

Trump's moved the Republican National Convention to Florida from North Carolina as full attendance at the Specturm Centre (which sounds like somewhere clowne would happen) cannot be guaranteed due to coronavirus measures.

The lower-profile meetings will still be hosted in NC and the main event in Florida.

It'll already involve lots of people, many old, travelling from across America to the convention, and now anyone who wants to go to the lower-profile meetings (one wonders what kind of ghastly people will be speaking at them) will have to travel again from Florida to NC. I imagine most delegates will not adhere to social distancing rules or wear masks.Many don't think the virus exists. It'll cause a massive spike in Florida, not that his supporters care.

It's not very smart of Trump to put his own supporters at risk, but his ego is too big to move the convention online or hold it in a state with low case numbers.

Biden is thinking of holding the DNC virtually - unusually for him, that's not a bad idea.

Dex Sawash

C_Larence

I've joined a bunch of Biden groups on facebook. It's quite funny seeing all the boomers in there who think political activism is saying "I'm voting for Biden" and calling Trump a cheeto. Got into an argument with an old dear after I criticised the recent Pelosi kente cloth photo op.

She told me I was unsupportive of getting rid of "dtrumpf", so I asked what her support for Biden entailed and whether she was phonebanking or canvassing for Joe. (I also accused her of being a bot because all her posts in the group used the word "dtrumpf" and I wanted to give her a taste of her own medicine)

Quoteno I gag on the word Trump and throw up a little bit in my mouth.  Not a bott, just a dtrumpf hater.  Painful.  I support Joe Biden and Amy Klobuchar 2020.  What am I doing?  Constantly stating as much.

That seems to be the general attitude, along with a lot of calls for EVERYONE to VOTE. Also, they all suddenly realised voter suppression exists after the Georgia primary and that's worried them a lot, now that it doesn't just affect Bernie supporters. 

Dog Botherer

Biden is obviously pushing for a virtual convention 1) to avoid protests and 2) so they can prerecord his  bits in case he goes off script and endorses "Raprock, uh, President, uh, uh, My Guy".

kngen

Quote from: C_Larence on June 11, 2020, 10:45:46 AM
I've joined a bunch of Biden groups on facebook. It's quite funny seeing all the boomers in there who think political activism is saying "I'm voting for Biden" and calling Trump a cheeto. Got into an argument with an old dear after I criticised the recent Pelosi kente cloth photo op.

She told me I was unsupportive of getting rid of "dtrumpf", so I asked what her support for Biden entailed and whether she was phonebanking or canvassing for Joe. (I also accused her of being a bot because all her posts in the group used the word "dtrumpf" and I wanted to give her a taste of her own medicine)

That seems to be the general attitude, along with a lot of calls for EVERYONE to VOTE. Also, they all suddenly realised voter suppression exists after the Georgia primary and that's worried them a lot, now that it doesn't just affect Bernie supporters.

Yeah, the vast of majority of Dem votes I've encountered seem to think that just by voting Dem, they are immune to any type of criticism, because they think, in of itself, it is the most profound and effective activism that could ever be meted out. Therefore, anyone who is not a Dem (e.g. me, Bernie, anyone under 30) is standing in the way of this righteous movement of wine o'clock boomers and the uncompromising rage of their demands that people 'be nicer'. Actually doing something about anything is what their kids should be doing (so long as it doesn't upset anyone) because they've already done their part (which, on further examination, seems to be getting a bit misty eyed during a Ken Burns documentary and then telling their friends about it at brunch, or - as you say - forwarding Yas Qween Hilllary memes on Facebook.

I think I hate them more than nazis. Nazis are at least honest about their intentions, and have, since Rockwell caught a bullet, only really gained any actual mainstream political traction in the last three years. These blue wave cunts have been gumming up the system for decades, equivocating about any number of horrendous policies under Obama/Clinton/Carter/Kennedy because 'I suppose you'd rather have '______' in power, you cryptofascist' despite the fact you know these fuckers, were they old enough at the time, voted for Reagan in 80 and 84, the self-serving me-generation arseholes that they are.

C_Larence

Fully agree with all the above, and it's why I've enjoyed starting shit in the Biden groups more than any Trump group. Biden supporters are so sure they've got it in the bag, because all they took away  from 2016 is that Hillary won the popular vote, but lost due to Russia/Bernie/sexism. At least Trump supporters are scared and stupid, Biden's are smug.
Caused a ruckus in one earlier by posting Biden's speech where he said he was going to "cure cancer" and then asking anyone who said it's not what he meant whether they were calling Biden a liar which caused other people in the group to label them as trolls, because tone is more important than content to liberals. Managed to get one death threat in my inbox for my troubles. Now that's activism.

Dex Sawash

This futurecop that we haven't fully defined should have higher wages.

Dog Botherer

BERNIE IS CANCELLED

just goes to show, he was always the compromise candidate

peanutbutter

Is a wage increase for cops necessarily a bad thing? the monstrous amount of money is in the bullshit accessories they buy, isn't it? So highlighting that some of that money could make its way into law enforcers pockets instead seems okay.

Armin Meiwes

Yeah if you pay better wages you're likely to attract better candidates and people less likely to just want a job that gives them an excuse to beat black peoples heads in. Seems sensible enough as long as it goes in hand with other reforms which, in this case, it is.

Armin Meiwes

Also surely the aim of any left wing politician should be to get more money in to the hands of working people and less in the hands of those at the top, even if it's the police.

chveik

the article makes good points

QuotePolice departments already have exorbitant budgets. In New York City, for example, the police had a budget of $6 billion in 2019 which amounts to more than the budgets for the Departments of Health ($1.9 billion), Homeless Services ($2.1 billion), Youth and Community Development ($872,000), and Small Business Services ($293,000) combined. Cops are already paid much better than other public employees, including teachers and professors. The average base pay of an NYC cop is $100,571 whereas the average base pay of an NYC teacher is $55,404 (which is already 30% higher than the national average). This money could instead go to useful public services such as free public universities, improved and free public transit, universal childcare, drug rehabilitation, and so much more.

Bernie Sanders thinks that giving cops more money will attract %u201Ctop tier%u201D and morally upstanding cops and dissuade them from violent behavior. It has a deeply offensive implication that people who are lower paid are more prone violence. We%u2019ve never seen any McDonald%u2019s workers with the brutal track record that police have.

It is impossible to have a police force on the side of working class people and people of color. Cops are part of a system meant to enforce racist laws. Like the motto says, the police %u201Cprotect and serve%u201D %u2014 they protect property and serve the rich while terrorizing the Black community. That is their role. The origins of the police go back to slave catchers and strike breakers. And today, the police force makes conscious decisions to hyper police communities of color. The role of the police is evident as we look at the disparate responses that police have taken towards the recent protests. Armed white protesters demanding to reopen the economy at the service of capital who screamed in the faces of cops were met with no retaliation whatsoever. Peaceful Black protesters, as well as protesters of other races, demanding justice for George Floyd and an end to racist police violence, however, have been met with beatings and arrests. Even amidst national protests against police violence, police are killing protesters.

While Sanders thinks that cops can be incentivized to be more humane and practice restraint, they will always be tools of a racist capitalist system. This is their role, and salary increases will not stop their violence and brutal oppression.

I don't know about cancellation but it just seems so tone-deaf, like he's lost all connection with the people that have campaigned for him and gave donations. so yeah, I think it's bollocks and really not the priority in order to fight police brutality

Dog Botherer

cops are already paid exceptionally well, they start off at 40k in smaller departments and easily hit triple figures in urban areas. that fat cunt Joey Bologna was on 120k.

also they clearly don't want better candidates, as evidenced by them refusing to hire people who do too well on intelligence tests. they want thick bastards to crack skulls, not think about why they're cracking them.

Armin Meiwes

Fuckinell 100 grand, ok ignore my post I should have read the article.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: chveik on June 12, 2020, 04:27:09 PM
the article makes good points

I don't know about cancellation but it just seems so tone-deaf, like he's lost all connection with the people that campaigned for him and gave donations. so yeah, I think it's bollocks and really not the priority to fight police brutality

the cancellation bit was tongue in cheek but hopefully he listens to his supporters and changes his line on this as he's proven capable of in the past.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on June 12, 2020, 04:24:40 PM
Also surely the aim of any left wing politician should be to get more money in to the hands of working people and less in the hands of those at the top, even if it's the police.

this is Bernie's thinking too i reckon. unfortunately the police exist solely to oppress the working class, just a lack of proper Marxist analysis probably.

Mister Six

Aye, and it could reduce corruption too. Haven't had time to look at the whole package, but fewer, better paid and better qualified cops seems like a good idea to me.

Quote from: Dog Botherer on June 12, 2020, 04:28:16 PM
cops are already paid exceptionally well, they start off at 40k in smaller departments and easily hit triple figures in urban areas. that fat cunt Joey Bologna was on 120k.

also they clearly don%u2019t want better candidates, as evidenced by them refusing to hire people who do too well on intelligence tests. they want thick bastards to crack skulls, not think about why they%u2019re cracking them.

Oh.

Mister Six

Hm, actually I looked it up and found this story from 2000...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

QuoteJordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average

So not quite as represented, unless things have degraded in the last 20 years (as they might).

Ferris

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on June 12, 2020, 04:29:28 PM
Fuckinell 100 grand, ok ignore my post I should have read the article.

They start on $100k in Toronto, and are exempt from wage freezes (ie they always get above inflation raises, rain or shine).

Due to the amount of money brought in by film productions in Toronto, the city must, by law, provide an officer for the duration of the film shoot. Same for any municipal works longer than a day or two, so we pay for a cop to sit in their car next to a film shoot/burst water pipe and do nothing all day.

30% of our municipal taxes go on this bullshit. Absolutely fucking defund them.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on June 12, 2020, 04:38:22 PM
Hm, actually I looked it up and found this story from 2000...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

So not quite as represented, unless things have degraded in the last 20 years (as they might).

Sounds like a wonderlic test. Scored a 39, since you're asking.

Fambo Number Mive

Whose birthday was that for? Trump's?

Reminds me of those Only Fools and Dinner Parties events. 

peanutbutter

Were the people at the top always all so fucking old? Nancy Pelosi 80, Mitch McConnell 78, Biden 78, Trump 76

Wonderful Butternut

Cos America is run by old white people determined to keep the status quo even when they say otherwise?