Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 II - Bernie Topwin: "We'll see this trashcan dream come true"

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, February 13, 2020, 01:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

The desperate attempts from the Buttigieg campaign to appeal to black America is making me feel queasy. He can't offer them anything and has only hurt them in the past so now he's running a PR/ad campaign to get them on side for his own benefit. The media is helping by highlighting staged positive interactions he's suddenly having with black people.

It's so transparent

kngen

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 15, 2020, 11:19:02 AM
Trump didn't have to buy anything, the media gave him levels of airtime and prominence that Bloomberg would have to, and seemingly will pay billions for.

Yep, and the difference is that they can't give Bloomberg that amount of airtime because he is a charisma vacuum. Ratings would plummet; the only time people would tune in would be to see Trump ragdoll him in a debate.

C_Larence

Bloomberg apparently considering Clinton as running mate. I hope to god that it's true.

Quote from: C_Larence on February 15, 2020, 05:24:52 PM
Bloomberg apparently considering Clinton as running mate. I hope to god that it's true.

"Apparently" meaning media outlets have figured out that posting stories every two weeks for the last 4 years about Clinton possibly running again (truly 100% just made up) generates lots of hate clicks.

Urinal Cake

Anther reason I think Bloomberg might put this out there is to assure the Clinton wing of the Democratic Party if he gets the nomination he won't kick out them to the curb. But he'd be idiotic to really consider Hillary as VP.
I mean for all the factions in the party the ideal candidate is Buttigieg since he's willing to be moulded so easily.

The narrative is Bloomberg  is more moral than Trump because he admits his mistake and promises to do better.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

rjd2

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1228023496908967936

Its funny because its true etc.

Bloomberg will have a million options as VP, the likes of Harris, Booker, Amy K and obviously Pete the frontrunners.

Urinal Cake

Urinal Cake

It is pretty amazing that the thing Bloomberg and Co will not stand for is calling Bloomberg an oligarch. Must poll really badly. The racist, sexist and cunty stuff they can in part sort of accept, dismiss etc.

chveik

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 16, 2020, 04:35:49 AM
It is pretty amazing that the thing Bloomberg and Co will not stand for is calling Bloomberg an oligarch. Must poll really badly. The racist, sexist and cunty stuff they can in part sort of accept, dismiss etc.
Bloomberg is, by definition, not an oligarch because he's not a Russian and he made his money in some way other than specifically benefiting from connections to Yeltsin and Putin:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SpyTalker/status/1228442498533601281

Urinal Cake

It is pretty interesting Bloomberg and Co. didn't claim calling rich Jewish people oligarchs is a new cover for old anti-Semitic tropes about Jewish wealth e.g. Soros, Rothchilds etc.  Guess that's pretty hard to do when your main opponent is Jewish.   

But shitting on Russians to make people feel better about America's shit show is always a winning strategy.

George Oscar Bluth II

This Bloomberg shit is absolutely unbelievable. Why do they think he's the man to take down Trump? It doesn't even pass that test, let alone the "is he a good guy with good policies" test. Fucking hell.

C_Larence

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on February 16, 2020, 11:48:37 AM
This Bloomberg shit is absolutely unbelievable. Why do they think he's the man to take down Trump? It doesn't even pass that test, let alone the "is he a good guy with good policies" test. Fucking hell.

This NYT article answers your question. To summarise, he has given 10 billion dollars to these people and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Whether they actually believe he's the man to take down Trump, I don't know. It's possible they truly believe that because he's richer than Trump he will win.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/02/15/us/politics/michael-bloomberg-spending.html

Paul Calf

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 16, 2020, 04:35:49 AM

He's not. He's a plutocrat.

George Oscar Bluth II

So a billionaire is trying to keep a billionaire friendly president in office by pretending to oppose him. Good stuff.

And yeah, he's not an oligarch. Made his money from something other than exploiting natural resources stolen from his country didn't he.

Thursday

I don't understand what's going on with Bloomberg, surely it's too late now? Nobody had even heard of him until a days ago. Surely it's too late for him to build enough momentum at this stage anyway.

Thursday

American Left Politics twitter will do a good enough job of getting his name out there by commenting on everything he does and bringing it to everyone's attention when it would otherwise have been ignored, I suppose.

C_Larence

Quote from: Thursday on February 16, 2020, 12:06:59 PM
I don't understand what's going on with Bloomberg, surely it's too late now? Nobody had even heard of him until a days ago. Surely it's too late for him to build enough momentum at this stage anyway.

He has been blanketing TV with ads for a while now, in fact he's spent 350 million dollars on ads in total and committed to doubling that figure. He had an ad at the super bowl (as did Trump). This hasn't come out of nowhere at all, if anything his poll numbers are literally just name recognition.

Edit: Sorry I was changing bus. To clarify, Steyer, also a billionaire has spent 170 million on ads and Bernie has spent 37 million.

BlodwynPig

George Oscar Bluth II

The one thing I knew about him politically is that he infuriated New Yorkers by attempting to ban the sale of extra large soft drinks. Seems like the kind of guy who can cut through in Ohio!

(I've not been to America for a decade but FUCK ME THEIR SOFT DRINKS ARE SO BIG. No wonder they're all obese.)

Paul Calf

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on February 16, 2020, 12:05:36 PM
So a billionaire is trying to keep a billionaire friendly president in office by pretending to oppose him. Good stuff.

And yeah, he's not an oligarch. Made his money from something other than exploiting natural resources stolen from his country didn't he.

An oligarch is someone who rules a majority as part of a tiny minority. It's nothing to do with wealth.

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on February 16, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
The one thing I knew about him politically is that he infuriated New Yorkers by attempting to ban the sale of extra large soft drinks. Seems like the kind of guy who can cut through in Ohio!

(I've not been to America for a decade but FUCK ME THEIR SOFT DRINKS ARE SO BIG. No wonder they're all obese.)

Steak and chips for breakfast might also have something to do with it. I put on half a stone in 10 days in NYC.

Urinal Cake

I think in America much like Russia there's very little distinction between the two since to be part of the ruling elite you have a ton of money anyway. Or maybe the distinction is that Bloomberg is a business man as well as a politician. He has turned his wealth into a formal political role- they seem to keep titles for life there they're never a former mayor/vp/senator etc hence he is an oligarch. As opposed to somebody like Gates who uses his money for political means but never sought a political position himself hence he is a plutocrat. 

Dewt

Quote from: Thursday on February 16, 2020, 12:08:36 PM
American Left Politics twitter will do a good enough job of getting his name out there by commenting on everything he does and bringing it to everyone's attention when it would otherwise have been ignored, I suppose.
Yes, without the left he would only have his media empire and unlimited funds to get his name out there

Sin Agog

Thursday

What you're all saying is true, and I'm completely wrong don't know what I'm talking about, but also, I don't actually believe Bloomberg is real.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Thursday on February 16, 2020, 12:08:36 PM
well, you've got to remember that we're seeing absolutely none of that media bombardment he's doing right now in ST states. They're responding to that, cos he's currently going totally unchallenged in traditional media, that's where he's making his gains.

Dex Sawash

Here in North Carolina, our primary is after it's all over so we never get presidential primary ads. Been hearing Bloomberg radio spots and looked up our primary date for this post to mention Bloomberg throwing away ad dollars. We've gone and moved primary to Super Tuesday so nevermind.

Dewt

Look at this! Biden pulled off a genuinely good, malarkey-free public appearance: https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1228806692353249280

They had to cut it before Biden said "I could clack your head in my beak like a pelican does" but up until that very good!