Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you heard? (OH FUCK ME LYLE MAYS HAS GONE DEAD)

Started by Twit 2, February 13, 2020, 07:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

2 days ago as well, and only just found out!

In my first year of uni I got massively into the Pat Metheny Group and rinsed through every album. I particularly love First Circle, Letter from Home and Still Life Talking, a trio of phenomenal jazz/fusion/worldbeat albums. I urge everyone to (re)listen to those; they're just perfect. Anyway, Mays was a huge part of that sound and this a truly sad time for jazz fans.

Check out this:

https://youtu.be/ppA9p6Rboqw

purlieu

The title track to Mays and Metheny's collaborative album As Wichita Falls, So Falls Wichita Falls is phenomenal, up there with my all-time favourite pieces of music.
Here for Spotify users.

I had no idea he'd died - surprised ECM haven't posted anything about it on their social media. Only 66, too. RIP to a tremendous musician.

Twit 2

Yes, AFWSFWF is as good as any ambient album. Perfect 'stare out of a public transport window at the rain' music.

purlieu

The way the dramatic opening theme appears again about 12 minutes into the title track is a real goosebumps moment for me. I find some of the Pat Metheny Band stuff a bit too 'smooth' for my taste, although I do really enjoy some tracks on Watercolors, so I should probably give the catalogue more of an explore.

wosl

This is a shock.  Love his playing on the earlier Metheny stuff, and just love the early ECM Metheny group full stop - a great group on a great record label making some wonderful music, now exuberant, now reflective.  Watercolors and Pat Metheny Group are terrific, as is Travels, a great live album.  The two Mays' solo albums I've heard (I think the debut and the follow-up) don't quite sparkle as much, but both have some great moments on them.  He did a lot to shape that early PMG sound.  RIP.

wosl

Well, you've got the joy of discovering some great music to come, then (unless you like Metheny already, but haven't been able to commit the names of his sidemen to memory).

Can't have a Pat Metheny thread with out posting https://youtu.be/e4JVz5dsHpY sampled by The Orb.

Nice bit of 80s Metheny https://youtu.be/PEt0buFFYXE

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: wosl on February 15, 2020, 10:31:31 PM
Well, you've got the joy of discovering some great music to come, then (unless you like Metheny already, but haven't been able to commit the names of his sidemen to memory).
Sorry, I was deliberately being a dick to prove a point in another thread.

purlieu

Five days after Lyle Mays died, de facto in-house drummer for ECM, Jon Christensen died. The two never played on a record together, but were both instrumental in helping shape the sound of the label.

I suppose with a label which has had a roster of regular musicians for 50 years it's inevitable that many will die - I can't believe it's 18 months since Tomasz Stanko died - but these two have really affected me.