Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,405
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 900
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I love the Hello Goodbye promotional video

Started by Dewt, February 13, 2020, 08:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

(I know there were others but you know the one I mean)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblYSKz_VnI

Everybody looks so unwell and unhappy. It's so comforting. Just utterly torn apart by LSD and stress and money deals and lack of sleep and arguments, to the backdrop of dancing and bright colours and trying to mime along to this fucking song

God I love it, it's just sitting there reminding you that being happy would be fucking rubbish, you'd lose this queasy, wrongness.

Dewt

Lennon doesn't know how to cope, so he does a sort of rock star pose thing in the middle.
I'm pretty sure Ringo is counting the drum hits until he reaches the total and can fuck off. He's just trying to get through this and look happy

George doesn't know where the fuck he is

Paul is looking directly into your soul, he's the only one with a master plan for this. He knows it's hurting everything and he thinks it's fucking glorious, and is correct

Dewt

Dewt

Just a massive cottony celebration of disorder

Enzo

I enjoy Lennon flirting with one of the dancers then quickly realizing that Yoko might watch the film.

Also Ringo using a child's drumkit

shiftwork2

I like it too, it's very vivid.  But I'm just seeing some weariness.  If there's rancour and drug-addled then they're hiding it well.

non capisco

Lennon's Elvis-esque guitar fling and point, immediately followed by them all sat dressed in their early 60s Nehru suits waving inanely, is the point where this goes from great to really great.

In contrast to the burnt out but amiable vibe of Hello Goodbye I find the Strawberry Fields Forever promo genuinely chilling. Really nothing fab and cozy about that one, its like a fevered evening's third nightmare on the bounce.

Rizla

Yes, Lennon fling n point is awesome. But in another version there's him and Paul twisting which is well ace. My 2yr old loves this song and vid.

I reckon Lennon especially is tripping his nuts off in it. The vibe between him and the saucy hula dancer is quite something, lads. 

Lil' shrug they do in the moptop suits would bring a tear to a glass eye.

DrGreggles

Just me who thinks this is the worst Beatles single then?

(and do I have one of those false memories where this same video exists with them wearing black and white?)

Dewt

They are in some parts of it, plus there are a million versions of this vid

Dewt

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 13, 2020, 09:25:14 PM
I like it too, it's very vivid.  But I'm just seeing some weariness.  If there's rancour and drug-addled then they're hiding it well.
Not addled, it's during the comedown

Brundle-Fly

You can't really see in that clip but I once watched this video on an Ultra HD fuck off curved plasma screen and poor George's acne is rampant. Looks like a pizza.

gilbertharding

They had all been living on a bus for two months though. I think.

jake thunder

Ringo nails his fills in this vid. Good lad. Flawless.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Enzo on February 13, 2020, 08:53:04 PM
I enjoy Lennon flirting with one of the dancers then quickly realizing that Yoko might watch the film.

Got to be that guy and point out pedantically he wasn't with Yoko yet in late 67, and also his relationship with Cynthia at the time was so on the outs that I really doubt he'd be giving a second thought to how him being filmed flirting in a promo would look.

ajsmith2

I don't agree with the OP that this is them all depressed and burnt out btw, I think they look like they're genuinely having fun. Perhaps I'm naive, but I always found Lennons dancing in this to be joyous rather than desperate. Plus, in one of the outtakes that appeared on YouTube a few years ago George is doing a daft striptease routine. He's having fun too, just in his own way. Plus as mentioned above the sight of the 67 Beatles in their 63 gear is the perfect self referential fusing of their two main phases. A self aware callback years before such knowing winks became a de riguer part of fan service for long running properties.

gilbertharding

Lennon leading the bow they do at the end.

When did pop groups stop bowing after each song?

poodlefaker

Reflects the desperation of the song, which always sounds to me like Paul really straining to keep the momentum going.

SteveDave

I like Paul's slightly unshaven appearance in this and his little eyebrow waggle.

ajsmith2

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 13, 2020, 11:02:51 PM

(and do I have one of those false memories where this same video exists with them wearing black and white?)

I'll get killed for this, but my least favourite is I Feel Fine. They also look far more bored in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAV5EVI4tU

John's thousand yard stare followed by the sarky smile at 1.40-45 as he sings 'I'm so glad that she's my little girl' says it all.

Nowhere Man

I think their least interesting post 1965 single is actually 'All You Need Is Love'. The promo for it is lovely and it undoubtably is a beautiful sentiment, but as a actual song it's a bit of a snoozer.

wosl

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 13, 2020, 11:02:51 PM

It's far from top-notch, but end coda rescues it.  I have to say I find all versions of the promo dull though, with the obviously bored Fabs in going-through-the-motions mode (John being in plain black shoes/boots bugs me for some reason, too; surely the trusty white plimsolls would've been a better option with that 'Pepper uniform).

Hand Solo

Quote from: wosl on February 14, 2020, 01:48:02 PM
It's far from top-notch, but end coda rescues it.  I have to say I find all versions of the promo dull though, with the obviously bored Fabs in going-through-the-motions mode (John being in plain black shoes/boots bugs me for some reason, too; surely the trusty white plimsolls would've been a better option with that 'Pepper uniform).

It's John shouting 'She Loves You yeah yeah yeah' at the end though, you can see it in rehearsal and some of the promo footage, didn't realise there's such a controversy about it being Paul.

Still not sure on the controversy about who sings the 'Ahhh-ah-ah-ah' bits in A Day Of The Life though.. I always thought it was John, but a lot of people and some evidence points towards Paul.

PinkNoise

Lennon was a randy old bollocks - there's a story about the fancy dress premiere of Magical Mystery Tour the month after this was shot, where Patti Boyd went as a belly dancer. Lennon's pants nearly exploded and his attentions towards George's wife caused Lulu to have a go at him. True story.

The Hello Goodbye film seems to me like the last hurrah before Shit Gets Real in '68. It's like they don't have Brian Epstein any more, but look, we don't need him, stuff is getting done, lads! This is before the reviews of Magical Mystery Tour came in, a film McCartney still claims is a work of unacknowledged genius.

Macca reckons he "directed" the Hello Goodbye clip - which I suspect amounts to him shouting at a cameraman for a couple of hours.

Dr Syntax Head

I now love the hello goodbye video because of the Lennon elvis pose, the synchronised footstomp and Paul's little jig near the end. Lovely stuff.

Non Stop Dancer

They all perk up a bit once the dancers turn up don't they, the dirty old fuckers.

Cottonon

Love the moment at 0:51 when Macca gives a sideways look and notices George doesn't give a sh*t about miming the guitar part (that Paul probably dictated to him) and then surreptitiously gives him the finger.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Paul's making an effort all the way through, give some credit to the lad, those cheeky little sideways looks to the camera, and everything. Definitely a " Trigger from  ' Only Fools And Horse's " vibe from George, though.

idunnosomename

George looks like he's going to be sick any minute and wants it to end

ajsmith2

I say psshaw to the idea George isn't enjoying himself. Managed to find the outtake with his cheeky strip tease in it, it' from around 3.10 here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysgG27UjN_k

Definitely looks like someone having fun to me at this bit. Admittedly I'm sure it was a long day of shooting and maybe it wore him down visibly during the sections where he looks worse for wear, but I still don't see this video as the acme of forced jollity as some others here do.