Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:34:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I love the Hello Goodbye promotional video

Started by Dewt, February 13, 2020, 08:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 14, 2020, 11:48:06 AM
I'll get killed for this, but my least favourite is I Feel Fine. They also look far more bored in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAV5EVI4tU

John's thousand yard stare followed by the sarky smile at 1.40-45 as he sings 'I'm so glad that she's my little girl' says it all.
I love George completely fluffing his "I'm in love with her and I feel fine" the knowing glance to camera, eyebrow wiggle and then mouthing a load of nonsense. Brilliant.

They all just look like they just don't give a toss.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 14, 2020, 12:58:42 AM
You can't really see in that clip but I once watched this video on an Ultra HD fuck off curved plasma screen and poor George's acne is rampant. Looks like a pizza.

You've pulled that observation out of your arse, mate. He looks fine. You want to see my ravaged boat race staring out at you wearing a jaunty hat in 4K. It would literally send you into another dimension.

Chriddof

I did notice George looking a bit rough round the cheekbones in that close up shot of him miming, although I wouldn't have described him as pizza-like.

non capisco

As a long time sufferer I'm just a bit sensitive about skin disorders being met with either disgust or false pity. George rules in this excellent video, naff off.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on February 15, 2020, 09:31:15 PM
As a long time sufferer I'm just a bit sensitive about skin disorders being met with either disgust or false pity. George rules in this excellent video, naff off.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, NC

Chriddof

Oh blimey - sorry about that. Didn't mean to offend you either.

And I agree that George rules.

non capisco

Ahh, you're good, sorry, I'm being over sensitive. I can get a bit knee jerk at anything approaching "ahaha look at his spots" but that's my problem. George is away with the fairies on this, though, isn't he? His mind floating away out of the window and drifting back to his house where all his stuff is. Makes that extended close up borderline hilarious. I love this video.

Brundle-Fly

It is a great video and a beautiful number.

idunnosomename

Quote from: wosl on February 14, 2020, 01:48:02 PM
It's far from top-notch, but end coda rescues it.
absolutely, without the coda the song is initially catchy but then a bit bleh what this ascending major scale bit again oh gawd. but the coda is a big kick in the balls. Beatles good at big codas. I Want You (She's So Heavy) prime example

Dr Syntax Head

This video keeps giving me profound joy. The song is great. I'm not really a Beatles fan.

Dewt

I think the "you say goodbye and I say hello, hello hello, I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello" bit is exceptionally good.

Dewt

pupshaw

Quote from: Dewt on February 16, 2020, 01:16:38 AM
I think the "you say goodbye and I say hello, hello hello, I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello" bit is exceptionally good.

I love the prolonged suspension just before the chorus "you say goodbye and I say..." e.g 2:10 with the gorgeous Ringo fills.

The lyrics are exactly right for this song. You want something deep here?

Replies From View

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 14, 2020, 11:48:06 AM
I'll get killed for this, but my least favourite is I Feel Fine. They also look far more bored in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAV5EVI4tU

John's thousand yard stare followed by the sarky smile at 1.40-45 as he sings 'I'm so glad that she's my little girl' says it all.

It's all a joke.  Do you think that Ringo didn't arrive in time and was meant to be on the exercise bike from the beginning?  They're pretending to be getting it wrong and George isn't even singing into a microphone.

Replies From View

For whoever's taking notes, my favourite part of the Hello Goodbye video is when Paul goes out of sync, back into sync and then out of sync again during the "why why why why why, do you say good bye, good bye, bye bye bye bye bye" bit at 1:20.  His eyes, y'know.  Great.

Dr Syntax Head

My favourite part (after Lennon's point pose) is when Paul starts a little foot stomp and lennon looks over at him and starts a synchronised foot stomp. This is high art.

wosl

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 15, 2020, 09:53:58 AM
I say psshaw to the idea George isn't enjoying himself. Managed to find the outtake with his cheeky strip tease in it, it' from around 3.10 here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysgG27UjN_k

Look at Paul's fucking face!  Clocks he's been upstaged and breaks out the over-complicit grin, Macca code for: I wish I'd thought of that.  You can tell he's inwardly shaking both fists at upstart George while he carries on doing his limp polishing-an-invisible-window mime next to the star turn, the grin ossifying into limestone before our eyes.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Replies From View on February 16, 2020, 10:31:30 AM
It's all a joke.  Do you think that Ringo didn't arrive in time and was meant to be on the exercise bike from the beginning?  They're pretending to be getting it wrong and George isn't even singing into a microphone.

I didn't say they weren't treating the performance with the same ever present sophisticated comedic nouse which permeated all their Beatlemania era public appearances and that so endeared them to the world, just that they look pretty tired in the video, or at least Lennon does in that shot before he realises the cameras on him. Although part of the reason for lack of enthusiasm might have been that the video was shot a year after the song came out. Also, I don't like 'I feel fine' much and consider it their weakest early single. I know I'm in a minority on that though.