Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 2

Started by Blue Jam, February 13, 2020, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Cuellar

Blue Jam

SPOILER:
Spoiler alert
The dog doesn't die
[close]
, so who does???

Jumblegraws

I rarely take the piss out of Trump because all it does is remind me that he succeeded in becoming POTUS. I have similar feelings when it comes to this show and the fact that it wasn't universally panned, let alone that it garnered mostly positive reviews. We'll always have that NTA moment, I suppose.

SteK

I thought we all hated Gervais?

I like this show, and most his others, some flawed, but better than Mrs Brown's Boys and the whole.

He might be up his own arse but he does have 'it'....

BritishHobo

Fucking got to watch this to get new Brian Gittins material, FUCK'S SAKE

BritishHobo

To be honest if he pulled a Life's Too Short special trick (making Les Dennis, Keith Chegwin and Barry the lead characters with more focus than Warwick) and this series is all about Brian, I'll genuinely love him for it.

Cuellar

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 13, 2020, 09:04:40 PM

Fuck is this?

Genuinely confused this with Derek for a long time. Tried to fit that image into my ideas of Derek, wasn't working. Thought 'Didn't Tony Way play a paper thin cariacature of a banker? Why is he dressed so shit and playing solitaire? I don't remember Cunk being in it either'

Different show, isn't it? Completely different.

Indomitable Spirit

Need Gervais to say this is "the favourite thing I've ever done" before I can get excited about this.

Mobius

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 13, 2020, 09:12:34 PM
Fucking got to watch this to get new Brian Gittins material, FUCK'S SAKE

You must really like Gittins! Cus I think he's fucking shit in Derek and this, and I generally quite like him...

shiftwork2

It was just perplexing stuff and this new series is another layer of bewilderment.

mojo filters

There's something very suspicious about how quickly this whole endeavour has transpired, if it's slated to drop in April!

I'm expecting Gervais to have pulled a single pass at the script out of his ass and immediately prepared for filming, since the sycophants funding this clearly have no interest in editorial oversight or quality control in respect of the writing.

However the actual production values, in terms of the filming and editing of series 1, were clearly quite high (frustratingly so, given those resources could have gone to something of better quality.)

How was this pulled together so fast?

Sin Agog

He has said on several occasions in the past that he hates reading.  Rewrites require poring through your script countless times.  I cannot see a man who proudly claims not to have read a single book in a Millennial's lifetime having the discipline to do that, no matter how self-absorbed he may be.

mojo filters

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 13, 2020, 11:54:51 PM
He has said on several occasions in the past that he hates reading.  Rewrites require poring through your script countless times.  I cannot see a man who proudly claims not to have read a single book in a Millennial's lifetime having the discipline to do that, no matter how self-absorbed he may be.

Good point, but I would question whether the obvious lack of quality control relating to the script of series 1 is merely a lack of writing discipline - or simply the product of sheer arrogance?

phes

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on February 13, 2020, 09:32:02 PM
Need Gervais to say this is "the favourite thing I've ever done" before I can get excited about this.

Already has done on Twitter. His best work yet!

Ferris

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 13, 2020, 09:04:40 PM

Fuck is this?

Genuinely looking for Ron and the dog photoshopped into this. Is it real?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mojo filters on February 13, 2020, 11:44:48 PM
There's something very suspicious about how quickly this whole endeavour has transpired, if it's slated to drop in April!

I'm expecting Gervais to have pulled a single pass at the script out of his ass and immediately prepared for filming, since the sycophants funding this clearly have no interest in editorial oversight or quality control in respect of the writing.

However the actual production values, in terms of the filming and editing of series 1, were clearly quite high (frustratingly so, given those resources could have gone to something of better quality.)

How was this pulled together so fast?

If I remember it right, he knocked off the Derek pilot within a few months of #monggate. Having his own production company probably helps, as well as Channel 4 and Netflix being (unaccountably) desperate for any old shite he wants to throw their way. Doesn't say much about how long he actually spends writing it though, does it?

With After Life, there is some potential in the idea and even the characters, but it's so clearly a rushed-off first attempt that wasn't revisited once the wine wore off. The last few episodes in particular felt like he was just trying to reach the necessary page count. I recognize it because it's exactly what I'm guilty of when I have a go at writing, but I'm not the one getting paid millions for my output (as he'd no doubt like to remind me).

BritishHobo

The Derek special came straight on the heels of series 2 as well.

JumpAction

I quite enjoyed moments of the first After Life. Some of the jokes didn't work but there are some funny moments sprinkled here and there.

Also, the graveyard conversations featuring Penelope Wilton were nice.

phes

Quote from: JumpAction on February 14, 2020, 07:31:26 AM
I quite enjoyed moments of the first After Life. Some of the jokes didn't work but there are some funny moments sprinkled here and there.

Also, the graveyard conversations featuring Penelope Wilton were nice.

They were odd. Sat there waiting for him all series like Zoltar. The back and forth between Wilton's professionalism and Gervais tooth-itching efforts to add very serious weight to the character, while unconvincingly explaining everything to the audience like a teacher standing in for another subject

Crabwalk

Maybe this time it'll be about the grief that the junkie's friends and family suffered after Gervais murdered him?

Crabwalk

Or, fingers crossed, the new girlfriend he snared at the end of S1 will have died of cancer and he goes back to square one.

Watch out tubby little ginger cunts and heroin addicts!

shiftwork2

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 14, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
Maybe this time it'll be about the grief that the junkie's friends and family suffered after Gervais murdered him?

I'd forgotten about that, unfathomable and ridiculous.  Largely unremarked upon outside of this forum so maybe it's actually ok.

Crabwalk

The saddest thing about that guy's death is that there won't be any more scenes of Ricky smoking opioids. Genuinely hilarious. What soundtracked that? Fucking 'White Rabbit' or something else ridiculously on-the-nose wasn't it?

Blue Jam

Rocket Man.

And yes, Ricky smoking heroin in a cigarette was bizarre enough to be amusing.

Cuellar

Haha Rocket Man! Of course.

"Cos I'm gonna be hiiiiigh as a kite"
"I miss my wife"

Blue Jam

Yes, Rocket Man, because he's getting high, geddit?

Quote from: Cuellar on February 14, 2020, 12:31:38 PM
"Cos I'm gonna be hiiiiigh as a kite"
"I miss my wife"

So subtle. Total genius.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 14, 2020, 12:30:06 PM
Rocket Man.

And yes, Ricky smoking heroin in a cigarette was bizarre enough to be amusing.

Ha ha, yes of course! 'I'm gonna be high as a kite...I miss my wife'

'Thanks for the drugs mate. Sorry you're suicidal like me. I'm not going to kill myself of course but you definitely should. Here are the resources you need'.

'Sorry I missed the funeral and that your friend is dead'.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blue Jam

I've been rewatching season 4 of Better Call Saul ahead of the new season. If fans of After Life saw the bit where Chuck and Jimmy do The Winner Takes It All at karaoke their minds would explode. Not to mention the portrayal of a man dealing with grief in a way that doesn't involve swearing at small children and having a tantrum over fish fingers- how the fuck did Gervais get a Golden Rose of Montreax for that?

How does After Life get so much praise from its fans? Are their bars really set that low?