Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 2

Started by Blue Jam, February 13, 2020, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rob1969in on May 14, 2020, 01:34:43 AM
[Martin Freeman] was outstanding in Fargo series one (imo)

Seconded.

jobotic

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2020, 10:31:06 AM

Mind you, one of the people who has defriended me (again, someone I had met in real life and liked) did so because I joked about those car insurance adverts with James Corden in. Not about his weight or anything. About the actual adverts. The last comment he left was: "If that's what you think about one of the nicest people in showbusiness, what must you think of the rest of us?"

That's brilliant.

God you must hate me Jockice, I'm not one of the nicest people not in showbusiness.

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on May 14, 2020, 11:59:50 AM
That's brilliant.

God you must hate me Jockice, I'm not one of the nicest people not in showbusiness.

I hate everyone. Except, strangely enough, James Corden.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Wolf8312 on May 14, 2020, 11:46:01 AM
Though I think Gervais is a narcissist and bully (referring to children with Cancer in the manner he once did is genuinely despicable in my opinion especially giving that it was a line he actually wrote and rehearsed) I too don't think Karl is a bad guy really. Nor Stephen merchant who I also like.

Although I think Karl's definitely got a schtick, he has genuinely had me howling with laughter. Last time Gervais even made me laugh like that was the old Microsoft training video I think.

Karl may have had some ignorance about things like gay people whether as a 'character' or not, it was more simple man 'doesn't get it' but not actively against them.

But Ricky and Merchant during these sections just wanted to tease that out so they could giggle like schoolchildren at 'gays' and the simple man. It's having their cake and eating it but also they were the machinery that gave Karls views a platform and amplified them. Chances are Karl assuming those views were his own genuine ignorance wouldn't have mentioned it at all if he hadn't have bought it up. It's like doing a Louis Theiroux but not against a real bad person, just to sneer and punch down.

Ferris

shiftwork2

Imagine a cross between Telly Addicts and Noel's House Party. You've just imagined Upstairs Downstairs, a new quiz show devised and hosted by David Brent.
Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2020, 12:16:26 AM
That's such a funny line. Remember when Gervais was funny? Different times.

I know this is an aside (and a page old) but the exchange that follows beats it.  From memory

Neil (despairing): I just don't understand this David.
Brent: Well the contestant runs upstairs and gets a clue

Bronzy

Quote from: thugler on May 14, 2020, 10:33:05 AM
Far from a fantastic takedown this contains a lot of utter nonsense (the 'gervais didn't write the office or extras' bollocks, as well as assumptions about his relationships with merchant etc). Also failing to realise that Pilkington was a character rather than a genuine idiot. While I agree with the stuff about Gervais being a thin skinned twitter arsehole, the thing as a whole is a little bit unhinged and personal.

Also, another thing. Regarding the whole tadpole hitler thing. In the end wasn't it pretty much established that it wasn't paid for thing and instead a bit of a naive bit of hero worship writing it off their own back and getting access due to being so unrelentingly positive about it? Certainly wasn't conclusively proven as a bit of publicity as I remember it.

In fairness, when I read it back then it felt more impactful. Perhaps it was because I knew Ricky was reading it that made me enjoy it more. Don't think Gervais was as hated back then as he is now either, so it felt like more of a surprise.

Bronzy

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2020, 07:59:25 AM
Is the 'nice simple man who he met at a radio station' Karl Pilkington? Who I believe was a producer at that station.  I've met quite a few radio producers during my time and while some of them may be nice, none were simple.

The whole thing really is a massive conjob. Find someone who isn't funny at all - I'll say again, as I always do, that I can't even see why he's MEANT to be funny - tout him as not only a comedy genius but an accidental comedy genius, who is so thick that he doesn't even mean to be funny. he does it naturally. And people fall for it. Weird.

In defence of Pilkington, he was the best thing in Derek. And yes, I know, it's a low bar.

(PS, slagging off Gervais for 'mocking people with learning disabilities' and then referring to other people as 'retards.' Hmm)

Yeah, I have to agree with a lot of what you say.

I do like the unrestrained anger in the post though, it's something I can definitely be on board with when it comes to Gervais, so I probably cut him more slack than I would usually.

Anyway, I must apologise for taking the thread on this detour, there's enough ridiculous bullshit regarding After Life to talk about without having to bring up stuff from other forums about his Twitter years ago.

Thomas

Jockice

Quote from: Bronzy on May 14, 2020, 01:34:22 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with a lot of what you say.

I do like the unrestrained anger in the post though, it's something I can definitely be on board with when it comes to Gervais, so I probably cut him more slack than I would usually.

Anyway, I must apologise for taking the thread on this detour, there's enough ridiculous bullshit regarding After Life to talk about without having to bring up stuff from other forums about his Twitter years ago.

It's fine Bronzy. No problem at all. I just genuinely (and I have tried) can't see what's amusing about Karl Pilkington, whether it's his real personality or him playing a part or whatever. I know comedy is subjective and all that but it mystifies me in a way that few other things do. Apart from Philomena Cunk. I can't see why she's supposed to be funny either.

notjosh

Quote from: Thomas on May 14, 2020, 12:25:12 AM
Thanks to this thread, it's after midnight and I'm fascinated all over again by tadpolehitler.com and its mysterious origins. I'd love for a technosleuth to trace its genesis.

I met the bloke behind this through work. He was a nice and genuine guy who really did love Derek and as a result ended up running the Tadpole Hitler site and subsequently doing work for Ricky. The way he told it suggested that the website was initially a genuine fan effort which was fairly quickly taken under the wing of the @RickyGervais brand.

I don't think he was being dishonest about it himself, though my memory is that Gervais was still plugging it (and related accounts) as total grassroots affairs long after they had ceased to be anything of the kind.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2020, 07:59:25 AM
Is the 'nice simple man who he met at a radio station' Karl Pilkington? Who I believe was a producer at that station.  I've met quite a few radio producers during my time and while some of them may be nice, none were simple.

Karl was never simple. I'm not saying it wasn't a put on or exaggerated, but I've met people like him. Actually quite clever, but due to their environment never bothered with school and as a result know fuck all and have no booksmarts. That's the thing about intelligence, it's often the ability to join two seemingly unconnected bits of knowledge through reasoning and if you don't know stuff then you're fucked. It's the opposite of Rees-Mogg types, who appear clever because they have the benefits of memory and a classical education, but actually pretty thick.

Bronzy

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2020, 02:22:56 PM
It's fine Bronzy. No problem at all. I just genuinely (and I have tried) can't see what's amusing about Karl Pilkington, whether it's his real personality or him playing a part or whatever. I know comedy is subjective and all that but it mystifies me in a way that few other things do. Apart from Philomena Cunk. I can't see why she's supposed to be funny either.

I totally understand that, personally don't like most of what he's done, did enjoy it when he used to wind up Ricky about philosophical matters (even more so now I know he's a massive prick) on the old XFM shows, and I can't help but love his short-lived quiz Songs of Phrase:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pFE7nKQHugA

"I know you're just 16, but looking all of 21, that's because Chiiinneeeese look older" being sung by an array of pop artists will never fail to make me laugh uncontrollably.

I like After Life and the characters are fantastic, I like the way Gervais uses a band of travelling actors like in Shakespearean times. One thing haunts me everyone says how lovely, fair kind Tony is, but he's not, he's basically horrible and selfish

madhair60

Sky rockets in flight, After Life is shite

It's Ricky Gur-vay, with the shitty wordplay

thugler

Quote from: notjosh on May 14, 2020, 09:29:30 PM
I met the bloke behind this through work. He was a nice and genuine guy who really did love Derek and as a result ended up running the Tadpole Hitler site and subsequently doing work for Ricky. The way he told it suggested that the website was initially a genuine fan effort which was fairly quickly taken under the wing of the @RickyGervais brand.

I don't think he was being dishonest about it himself, though my memory is that Gervais was still plugging it (and related accounts) as total grassroots affairs long after they had ceased to be anything of the kind.

Yeah suspected this was the case. Basically a sycophant that was taken advantage of as a promotional tool. Some of the exaggerated anti Gervais stuff was a bit far fetched, like him not writing the Office etc. I'd argue his decline is entirely due to his getting massive fame and wealth and it effecting his ego. Something really strange about him making Extras with a key plot line about the character being turned into an arsehole by gaining fame and then him being a prime example of this. He has nothing interesting to say any more and is obsessed with point scoring twitter stuff. Besides, how many people are responsible for more than 1 great sitcom or piece of work. Not that many really.

mjwilson

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 13, 2020, 10:14:09 PM
Martin Freeman kinda plays the same character in everything, doesn't he.

Having seen David Mitchell in Greed, I feel Martin Freeman doesn't deserve this.

Bronzy

Quote from: mjwilson on May 15, 2020, 12:29:26 PM
Having seen David Mitchell in Greed, I feel Martin Freeman doesn't deserve this.

"Shall I do posh and repressed, or repressed and posh?" - Rob Brydon, 2011

Cardenio I

It's worth noting that Gervais was a band manager/ man around the live music scene for a while before he was a comedy writer. He's got (had) the kind of single-minded mania for fame that usually marks out failed incel YouTubers and Kid's TV presenters. I don't think he's without self-awareness, but when he was still grasping for fame (The Office) or coming to terms with having finally achieved it (Extras) the incongruence between where he was and wanted to be / where he'd wanted to be and where he'd got to, was great enough to focus his attention. And within that there was space for (self) reflection, and from that a somewhat talented and totally self-absorbed writer could find the material to write something decent.

But as soon as he became big and his prime purpose was fulfilled, and whatever inner life he had spiralled into a black hole of unchecked narcissism and reflexive praise, the man had nothing left to say. He'd reached where he'd always wanted to be, and there was nothing left but the void and the sycophantic voices of praise that offered some brief, mortal respite from it.

And then Netflix bought his life and he knew that he'd always have an audience, and a paycheck, and a presence. He'd always be, at least "oh, that guy". And thus died creativity, and thus died whatever glimmer of creative impetus the man had left.

Sorry, I can't remember why I started writing this, but there it is.

checkoutgirl

I think when The Simpsons, David Bowie, Larry David, Christopher Guest and christ knows who else say you're a genius or at least agree to work with you on projects, it takes a very stable, grounded and down to earth mind to resist the temptation to believe the hype and be convinced you've cracked it.

Much more talented people than Gervais have said that once you believe you've cracked it, it's all over. That happened to Gervais when The Office won the Golden Globes and Americans, yes Americans, lauded him as a genius and creator of mockumentary.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 15, 2020, 11:42:13 PM
I think when The Simpsons, David Bowie, Larry David, Christopher Guest and christ knows who else say you're a genius or at least agree to work with you on projects, it takes a very stable, grounded and down to earth mind to resist the temptation to believe the hype and be convinced you've cracked it.

Much more talented people than Gervais have said that once you believe you've cracked it, it's all over. That happened to Gervais when The Office won the Golden Globes and Americans, yes Americans, lauded him as a genius and creator of mockumentary.

Bowie and Larry David, for all their eccentricities, actually seem(ed) like two very grounded individuals.

Blue Jam

That "Ricky Gervais and Richard Dawkins In Conversation" thing is now on YouTube in full. Fill yer boots:

https://youtu.be/b0BC3F0kqtw

phes

Do you remember when Ricky wrote two seasons of Derek and claimed they were commentary about society forgetting about the old and vulnerable? Well we're in a pandemic that's killing tens of thousands of them and he doesn't

phes

phes

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Because I'm a bored glutton for punishment, I just tried watching the recent lockdown interview he did with Russell Brand. Lasted about five minutes before shouting "OH FUCK OFF" at the screen.

His egotism and utter lack of self-awareness are extraordinary to behold. He actually says things like, "There's a lovely line in After Life where I say..." He thinks it's okay to talk about his own work in that way, as if there is nothing remotely weird or embarrassing about quoting things you've written yourself. He's lost the plot.

mr. logic

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on May 16, 2020, 06:13:33 AM
Bowie and Larry David, for all their eccentricities, actually seem(ed) like two very grounded individuals.

Thinking about this, there's hundreds more too. Philip Roth, Woody Allen, Nas- there's three example right off the top of my head of people with objectively better bodies of work than Ricky who still appear modest, grounded and, crucially in terms of artistic development, well aware of their limitations and flaws. Vince Gilligan, Norm Macdonald, James Gandolfini. Finding artists and creative types that share Gervais' staggering arrogance and pomposity is actually more of a challenge. Jerry Seinfeld maybe?