Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 2

Started by Blue Jam, February 13, 2020, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Also he leaves a new bike for the ginger kid, with a note saying 'I just wanted you to be a good boy'. Which, you would definitely call the police right?

Blue Jam

Well, I certainly wouldn't leave a surprise gift for a child who had called me a paedo.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 10, 2020, 12:09:53 PM
Imagine having the resources and connections to make practically anything and the best you can muster is After Life.

Does he really have the connections, though? I bet he's begged Jerry Seinfeld to do a show with him.

non capisco

As has been said by a few others any comedy-dramas about middle aged depressed people struggling with their consciences now seem pretty redundant in the wake of 'Bojack Horseman' (which Ricky must have seen unless he just bothered with the episode he's in).

Blue Jam

Back in the Noughties I was in a very famous TV show...

Blue Jam

Apologies for the Daily Mail link but I do wish Ricky Gervais would stop acting like being an atheist makes him qualified to comment on scientific issues:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8214031/amp/Ricky-Gervais-calls-end-wildlife-wet-markets.html

Jumblegraws

Or socio-economic ones. I thought he was supposed to be the foil to moneyed celebrities telling people about whose lives they know nothing what to do and how to behave?

Cuellar

e.g. the nerve of him saying in one of his awards things to the assembled 'hypocrite' celebs "If ISIS had a streaming service, you'd call your agent" - as if he fucking wouldn't!

"If ISIS tweeted 'omg love Derek who knew you could laff and cry?? best tv show ever #kind #justsayin', you'd retweet it"

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 16, 2020, 09:35:08 AM
Apologies for the Daily Mail link but I do wish Ricky Gervais would stop acting like being an atheist makes him qualified to comment on scientific issues:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8214031/amp/Ricky-Gervais-calls-end-wildlife-wet-markets.html

You don't need to be 'qualified' to comment on this subject, anyone can who's concerned about animal welfare and possibilities of future pandemics. Even Micheala Strachan has got his back. He is doing the world of good by using his profile to raise awareness of the issue therefore us and everyone alike should be awarding him with a little bit of kudos.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on April 16, 2020, 10:33:13 AM
You don't need to be 'qualified' to comment on this subject, anyone can who's concerned about animal welfare and possibilities of future pandemics. Even Micheala Strachan has got his back. He is doing the world of good by using his profile to raise awareness of the issue therefore us and everyone alike should be awarding him with a little bit of kudos.
Yeah, why think when you can feel? The health and animal welfare problems arising from wet markets aren't going to be solved unless the underlying issues that allow them to thrive are addressed. Where's the world of good in a celebrity - one who prides himself on a supposed lack of sanctimony to boot - pointing at wet markets and saying "yuck!"?

Blue Jam

It was Gervais's claim that wet markets will eventually lead to another pandemic that bothered me. Obviously there are major animal welfare issues to be addressed.

Original, non-Mail source here, don't think Ricky tweeted this one for some reason:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ricky-gervais-calls-end-grim-21852290

Quote"We can't carry on exploiting animals, eating wildlife and trashing the planet. The wildlife trade and markets have to close, otherwise it will be a case of when, and not if, we have another global pandemic."

Petey Pate

Quote from: non capisco on April 16, 2020, 09:12:12 AM
As has been said by a few others any comedy-dramas about middle aged depressed people struggling with their consciences now seem pretty redundant in the wake of 'Bojack Horseman' (which Ricky must have seen unless he just bothered with the episode he's in).

Speaking of Horseman, I do imagine Ricky Gervais' writing sessions for After Life going something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzXW9XagyBg

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 16, 2020, 10:43:32 AM
Where's the world of good in a celebrity - one who prides himself on a supposed lack of sanctimony to boot - pointing at wet markets and saying "yuck!"?

The scaremongering by the Mirror isn't very helpful either. It smacks of more of that xenophobic "ahahahaha, the Chinese are so weird and dirty and disgusting, they'll eat anything" sentiment we've heard too much of lately.

Salmonella, BSE and scrapie didn't come from China, and personally I'm more worried about antibiotic overuse in farming over here. Us Westerners have got enough problems of our own to sort out before we start lecturing China on animal welfare and hygiene standards.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 16, 2020, 11:52:33 AM
The scaremongering by the Mirror isn't very helpful either. It smacks of more of that xenophobic "ahahahaha, the Chinese are so weird and dirty and disgusting, they'll eat anything" sentiment we've heard too much of lately.

Salmonella, BSE and scrapie didn't come from China, and personally I'm more worried about antibiotic overuse in farming over here. Us Westerners have got enough problems of our own to sort out before we start lecturing China on animal welfare and hygiene standards.

Tbf, they aren't mutually exclusive positions.  Moral relativism doesn't feel like the correct approach - and I'm pretty sure farming practices got a good kicking after BSE etc.  The ban on British beef exports to Europe, for one.  It should be reasonable to criticise Chinese wet markets & the practices in Britain  which led to BSE.

Hat FM

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 16, 2020, 08:28:49 AM
There's also a weird thing where he decides to use his 'honesty' (basically the same kind of honesty as the people in reality shows who crow that 'I tell it like it is!') as a superpower only against people who deserve it. Which, again, most of the people who he was horrible to in season one are people we're supposed to see as deserving of it anyway. And calling it a superpower seems like a weird hangover from Derek, and another example of Gervais treating basic ideas as if he's come up with some astonishing revelation on humanity. Tony talks for fucking ages about basic ideas about niceness, as if he's discussing quantum physics. You watch the whole season just for Gervais to go 'fuck me, did you guys know that it's good to be kind?!' at the end. Yes Ricky, I did. That's why I'm not obsessed with mocking overweight people.

I haven't watched it but isn't this also the basic premise for the invention of lying? he can't lie so he has to tell it like it is?

Mango Chimes

Ricky Gervais writes, directs and stars as a crazy alien who doesn't understand our social conventions and just tells it like it is, with outrageous, funny, and heartwarming results.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 16, 2020, 11:12:54 AM
It was Gervais's claim that wet markets will eventually lead to another pandemic that bothered me. Obviously there are major animal welfare issues to be addressed....

Paul McCartney said something similar on Howard Stern's show, but picked up more press attention.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Hat FM on April 16, 2020, 02:48:23 PM
I haven't watched it but isn't this also the basic premise for the invention of lying? he can't lie so he has to tell it like it is?

No - the opposite. It's a word where no one can lie, except for Gervais's character suddenly.

However, it should be remembered that the film's concept was not by Gervais.

As a warm up I challenge any of you to watch all 24 minutes of this

https://youtu.be/qAZwOOwr5KA

Blue Jam

"My favourite actor of all time is Mr Sidney Poitier"

I've noticed he now films all his Twitter videos in front of his shelves of awards.

Fucks me off how Gervais is all about animal welfare but after 20 years of being a rich famous cunt he still can't bring himself to make the first and easiest personal step in doing something about it.

I'm not saying you have to cut the meat/dairy to care about animals but it would surely make all the hand wringing more believable.

Chollis

As far as I know he eats chicken because he's misguidedly convinced himself that it's least harmful for some reason. It's beside the point as on the XFM shows he explains at length that he's simply a childish eater who never developed a taste for anything beyond chicken dippers. That's his cover now that he's all woke, animal-wise, despite surely knowing better.

chveik

I know it's common knowledge now, but still, what a CUNT

phes

Quote from: Chollis on April 17, 2020, 08:19:45 PM
Wait, what? He's not vegetarian?

What the fuck. This isn't true isn't it? I thought he wasn't a vegan but was a vegetarian?

jobotic

I have childish food tastes like that. Still haven't eaten meat for over 30 years. And I don't have twelve chefs to cook my veggie burgers whilst telling me how great I am.

What a twat.

I bet he says Grace before he eats his dippers. Just in case.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on April 17, 2020, 10:47:33 AM
As a warm up I challenge any of you to watch all 24 minutes of this

https://youtu.be/qAZwOOwr5KA
I stopped after "Jesus take the wheel" *awkward moment when he remembers he's A Atheist* "well not Jesus, obviously..." *pauses while he tries to think of the Most Offensive Thing to Christians* "...I mean his husband"

Ricky if your non-belief system makes you feel that you have to clarify that you don't actually believe in Christ Our Lord and Saviour because you accidentally used a fairly common phrase that nobody would interpret literally, then maybe your atheism is a load of performative bollocks and not a conclusion you've arrived at through thoughtful contemplation.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: jobotic on April 17, 2020, 11:30:55 PM
I have childish food tastes like that. Still haven't meat for over 30 years. And I don't have twelve chefs to cook my veggie burgers whilst telling me how great I am.

What a twat.
I've eaten enough vegetarian/vegan meat substitutes to realise that processed meat doesn't taste of meat, it tastes of the spices and salt they use on the meat. If Pricky loves his nuggies so much he could easily switch to Quorn nuggies and never notice the difference.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on April 17, 2020, 08:25:21 PM
As far as I know he eats chicken because he's misguidedly convinced himself that it's least harmful for some reason. It's beside the point as on the XFM shows he explains at length that he's simply a childish eater who never developed a taste for anything beyond chicken dippers.

You couldn't tell by the look of him that he subsists on processed shit or anything.

And yes, I'm aware that is very low hanging fruit.