Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 2

Started by Blue Jam, February 13, 2020, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Well there's potential comedy in anything, it is all sadly just out of reach for Mr Gervais (since about 2003).

Cardenio I

Never watched this, but in my head it's just Gervais watching a bit of classic dead wife footage and then winning an argument against an improbably wrong interlocutor.

shiftwork2

Oh that trailer didn't disappoint.  This looks crap.  Hints of Derke magical kindness this time around which means it's unmissable.  Something to look forward to in this depraved month.

Does look crap but also boring. ITV Sunday evening feel to it all. That's a shame. No dead tramps for Ricky to notch on his belt this time.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 10, 2020, 08:38:52 AM
Does look crap but also boring. ITV Sunday evening feel to it all. That's a shame. No dead tramps for Ricky to notch on his belt this time.

To be fair, I don't think " Heartbeat" ever had Derek Fowlds addressing Nick Berry as a " snot- curdling cunt".

phes

Those bits on the bench are really odd. He sets them up as exposition of his philosophical enlightenment but even for someone as witless as Gervais he's concocted the most dumbfoundingly vapid thoughts. Is it deliberate, is Tony supposed to have a mental age of 3. Has he cottoned onto how simple his audience is and started churning out this stuff deliberately or has Twitter just rewired his brain?

Yeah it's just hollow greeting card sentiment because Gervais by his own admission hasn't got any connection to the stuff he's writing. Which is largely why The Office was great, Extras was good and everything else which extends beyond his own life experience is dog tods.

Although it has to be said, Derke really did break the mould in terms of how divorced from reality it was. By comparison After Life is a reigned-in Richard Curtis level of disconnection.

jsgibble

Quote from: phes on April 10, 2020, 09:15:23 AM
Those bits on the bench are really odd. He sets them up as exposition of his philosophical enlightenment but even for someone as witless as Gervais he's concocted the most dumbfoundingly vapid thoughts. Is it deliberate, is Tony supposed to have a mental age of 3. Has he cottoned onto how simple his audience is and started churning out this stuff deliberately or has Twitter just rewired his brain?

The character doesn't really make sense, the way he treats others and vice versa betrays the way Gervais acts now with fame and money. Not just some guy, as we're to think Tony is.

phes

QuoteAlthough it has to be said, Derke really did break the mould in terms of how divorced from reality it was. By comparison After Life is a reigned-in Richard Curtis level of disconnection.

I joined an agency to do some care work in about 2016 and one of the training exercises was to watch a video and identify all the instances of abuse (emotional, psychological, financial, physical, neglect etc). Some were actually quite subtle and required explanation to a number of people on the course. Derek would have made the job easier. Gervais inability to recognise the non-stop abuse in his work, presented as a homage to the kindness of others was completely unsurprising (Except the old people of course. There were no acts of kindness on their part other than to be good sports and allow the staff to have their CUMBUCKET bants). That's how kindness works in his world. He gets to act the cunt and other people are kind enough to oblige him.

neardark

Is the music on that trailer meant to sound like Gervais singing, or is it actually him singing

checkoutgirl

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 10, 2020, 08:24:50 AM
Oh that trailer didn't disappoint.  This looks crap.  Hints of Derke magical kindness this time around which means it's unmissable.  Something to look forward to in this depraved month.

It looks kind of average to me, just with the obstacle of Gervais being front and centre at all times. There's no motivation to watch an average show for me and I can't get over my prejudice for Ricky. Too much water has gone under the bridge. If someone can watch it and confirm that it is truly an abomination then that would be different.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

That looks like a bunch of maudlin shit with some cursing thrown in instead of jokes.

Blue Jam

Ahahahaha! He said "cunt"! Genius!

I see they're still using "From the mind of Ricky Gervais" too. Has anyone else ever been arrogant enough to describe their work in that way?

I hate-watched the first series but this one looks too dull to waste my time on. I know we'll probably still be in lockdown on the 24th but I've found so much other stuff to watch.

Otisberg

The reason that RG's self-penned work will never be loved is that RG exists in a world wholly devoid of empathy. He's a narcissistic, sociopath, and thinks the only way you can relate to other humans is to a) Bully them b) Mock them - and each time he writes something and has his character behave like an utter, awful, horrible prick, the end result is always that everyone thinks he has a heart of gold.

Blue Jam

In this one he apparently loses his job and spends the rest of the series trying to cope with unemployment (by being a cunt to everyone, presumably). I wonder how that will go down with viewers under lockdown who have lost their jobs for real and are panicking about paying the rent.

Oh yeah I forgot his well-paid journalism gig for a fully-staffed local print paper that definitely would exist in the 2010s.

Imagine having the resources and connections to make practically anything and the best you can muster is After Life.

Twit 2

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 10, 2020, 12:33:52 AM
Me neither. Is it bad enough to be bothered with is my question. I never watched that film where he's a reporter or that piece of shit TV show with kids in it. Or four of his Golden Globes presenting jobs. Can't remember watching any Gerv post series 2 Derek to be honest. I want the right project to watch him again and it has to be truly Derek level egg smell. Anything remotely passable just isn't enough.

After Live fulfills that. Don't know what some people are on about thinking any of it so far has been remotely passable (for instance, those graveside chats are AIDS). It's dog shit end to end and should be gawped at accordingly.

Ferris

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 10, 2020, 09:29:52 AM
Yeah it's just hollow greeting card sentiment because Gervais by his own admission hasn't got any connection to the stuff he's writing. Which is largely why The Office was great, Extras was good and everything else which extends beyond his own life experience is dog tods.

Although it has to be said, Derke really did break the mould in terms of how divorced from reality it was. By comparison After Life is a reigned-in Richard Curtis level of disconnection.

"Richard Curtis" is bang on the money. I think that's his new benchmark.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 10, 2020, 11:29:07 AM
Ahahahaha! He said "cunt"! Genius!

I see they're still using "From the mind of Ricky Gervais" too. Has anyone else ever been arrogant enough to describe their work in that way?

Garth Marenghi

chveik

Quote from: mojo filters on April 10, 2020, 01:57:02 AM
I could care less about the common man / woman, and obvious base instincts therein.

well that's hardly surprising you centrist pundit scum

Jockice

I can't believe how banal that trailer is. He really thinks he is breaking boundaries. Edgy comedy while tugging on heartstrings. The fucking terrifying thing is, looking at the comments, it pleases 99% of viewers. How thoroughly depressing.

phes

He does seem to be a rare example of extraordinary artistic success where it's almost impossible to point at anything that he does competently, let alone well. Even the most banal sitcoms at least manage to make sense.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: phes on April 10, 2020, 04:07:17 PM
He does seem to be a rare example of extraordinary artistic success where it's almost impossible to point at anything that he does competently, let alone well. Even the most banal sitcoms at least manage to make sense.
but but he did a swear ah ha ha

Jockice

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 10, 2020, 12:09:53 PM
Oh yeah I forgot his well-paid journalism gig for a fully-staffed local print paper that definitely would exist in the 2010s.

Isn't it a free weekly local newspaper too? Because of course they're most successful of all.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: neardark on April 10, 2020, 10:35:56 AM
Is the music on that trailer meant to sound like Gervais singing, or is it actually him singing

That's exactly what I thought. "Christ, he's really lost it now, he's singing a fucking straight-faced acoustic ballad in the trailer."

It's not him, but he must be aware that the guy's singing voice sounds similar to his.

jsgibble

C_Larence

All I know about the first season is that people said it had a great soundtrack, and that it had Youth by Daughter (https://youtu.be/2QT5eGHCJdE) playing underneath a scene that was supposed to be sad which is such a fucking hack choice.