Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,474
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 2

Started by Blue Jam, February 13, 2020, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ricky's already talking up a third series because he feels he's "never set up such a world before."

Hmm. Not sure it counts as world-building if you just present a sulking child's view of reality but chuck in some cunt-bombs and needlebliss to keep it edgy.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: jsgibble on April 14, 2020, 12:37:03 PM

It's going well then

From the Telegraph review: There is also a misogynist minor protagonist – whom Netflix would rather I didn't describe in detail – whose knuckle-dragging rants are, on the face of it, intended as a critique of toxic masculinity. But they go on and on, long after the point is made. It's unclear whether Gervais is outraged by the character or using him as a device through which to smuggle in some taboo chuckles.

Anyone know why Netflix is sensitive about that? Probably spoiler-related.

The last line of the review: There is nothing left in this barrel worth scraping. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: C_Larence on April 14, 2020, 12:48:47 PM
All I know about the first season is that people said it had a great soundtrack, and that it had Youth by Daughter (https://youtu.be/2QT5eGHCJdE) playing underneath a scene that was supposed to be sad which is such a fucking hack choice.

He probably thinks he's Tarantino doesn't he?

notjosh

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on April 14, 2020, 01:30:51 PM
QuoteIt's unclear whether Gervais is outraged by the character or using him as a device through which to smuggle in some taboo chuckles.

Hmmm... well, that one's got me stumped. If only there was a precedent for this sort of thing in every single thing he's ever done.

Chollis

Top comment on the trailer. Eat it up.

jobotic

Typical woke SJW Telegraph review then?

Mango Chimes

Trust Gervais to again make me laugh and cry! Most heartwarming show ever made, and if you find it offensive you can #fuckoffslutface #uglylazycunt #supportourcarers

Hat FM

the worst thing for me personally about this shit is that because i was such a massive fan of the office, friends and relatives of mine think i love all of the utter wank that Gervais produced after it as well. I got all sorts of texts from people telling me how much they loved series 1 of this crap.

Cuellar

paruses

Upside is while he is making this he can't physically be making another stand-up special.

Look for the positives , guys.

NME review.  His "most moving work to date", apparently.  Deary me.
https://www.nme.com/blogs/after-life-season-two-review-ricky-gervais-netflix-2646403

Quote from: NME
Those who bristle at Ricky Gervais' curse-laden brand of comedy might well turn off After Life season two in the first 10 minutes, when no less than three C-bombs have been dropped by an elderly woman.

Laffin' already.   #LOLswears

phes

The 'world of the show', 'his most moving work yet'.

All very familiar language. Can't wait to watch this seeping diarrhoea from the MIND of Gervias

jobotic

An old woman swearing! Now that I've got to see.

Hand Solo

Quote from: jobotic on April 15, 2020, 10:17:42 AM
An old woman swearing! Now that I've got to see.

Imagine old people swearing? That'd be hilarious. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPo2YFSme9o

Oh.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: notjosh on April 14, 2020, 02:08:35 PM

Hmmm... well, that one's got me stumped. If only there was a precedent for this sort of thing in every single thing he's ever done.

That's a terrible way of saying it's 'full of edgy shit', 'smuggling', 'taboo' ffs.

Brundle-Fly

I'm only going to watch it if a sex worker is saved by a postman in a bathtub.

Quote from: Otisberg on April 10, 2020, 11:42:20 AM
The reason that RG's self-penned work will never be loved is that RG exists in a world wholly devoid of empathy. He's a narcissistic, sociopath, and thinks the only way you can relate to other humans is to a) Bully them b) Mock them - and each time he writes something and has his character behave like an utter, awful, horrible prick, the end result is always that everyone thinks he has a heart of gold.

Absolutely.  The 'moral' of each episode of the drek he's pushed out over the last decade or so is the antithesis of everything that preceded it. '70s and '80s playground 's*****c' laffs are fine if you say something about the magic of kindness at the end; at least in the simple minds of his cult.  I can remember He-Man cartoons doing the same when I was a kid - He-Man spends the episode using his ludicrous strength - given to him by a magic sword - to chuck people about, and then ends up pontificating about hard work or kindness.  And He-Man cartoons seem light-years closer to Gervais's work than Garry Shandling or Larry David, despite Gervais's pretences to being on their level.

FredNurke

Frankly I think He-Man is operating on a higher level.

He-Man was at least pontificating so that parents would be tricked into thinking that the show (and more importantly the associated toy range) was giving kids a good message, and not encouraging them to develop a love for violence.

Gervais does it because he doesn't have the courage of his convictions.  He sees himself as an outrage comic, and holds retrograde views, but likes to place himself on the left.  His end of show morals are a get-out-clause; something he can wave at those SJW types. 'Look, I'm not a cunt, here's a moral'.

Tl;dr He-Man has superior ethics to Ricky Gervais.  Q.E.D.

Armin Meiwes

Most annoying thing about S1 of this is that it was just boring and pointless and really hard to even get any energy up to care either way about it, was REALLY hoping for another Derek.

BritishHobo

Yeah, it didn't have the real fucking surreal weirdness of Derek, with that central performance, and Derek preaching kindness and love for old people while he and his alcoholic mate (whose FAT girlfriend is FAT #kindnessismagic) mock and sideline and genuinely actually assault them. Without all that stuff, After Life was just bleh. Brian Gittins always incredible value, and it did peak a little when Gervais gives a drug addict all the drugs to overdose for no good reason, but that's it.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

So am I right in thinking this is about a low-key shitty person being shitty but oh he's saaaaaaad so it's not his fault? because if I want to watch a bunch of low-key shitty people who deserve everything they get I'll watch 'Allo 'Allo and if I want to watch a low-key shitty person feeling sad about his own shittiness, I'll watch BoJack Horseman.

BritishHobo

Low-key shitty but also the show is basically on his side anyway. Most of the people he's shitty to are painted as shittier, we're blatantly meant to root for him in 'telling it like it is' to a procession of annoying jobsworths, contemptuous weirdos, thick idiots, or ugly grotesque horrible wobbly fat gross disgusting fat cunts #kindnessismagic

I'd agree with that and also add it's also painfully tone-deaf in Gervais assuming that because certain people annoy him, they must annoy everybody, and any justice he deals out should not only be accepted but cheered by the viewer.

So he clouts teen muggers in the head with a tin of dog food and calls a ginger schoolchild a cunt and pushes a suicidal tramp to OD and never gets called out on his shit cos he's in mourning and deep down he's Such a Nice Guy.

Its like a really low-stakes but no less troublesome Death Wish.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on April 15, 2020, 09:49:13 PM
So he clouts teen muggers in the head with a tin of dog food
yeah that'd happen in real life
Quoteand calls a ginger schoolchild a cunt
oh how edgy. let me guess, the child was "annoying"
Quoteand pushes a suicidal tramp to OD
BoJack did it better
Quoteand never gets called out on his shit cos he's in mourning and deep down he's Such a Nice Guy.
"wah wah make allowances for me because my wife id dead"

Yeeeaaahhh I only like shitty protagonists when they get what they deserve

Blue Jam

Quote from: Otisberg on April 10, 2020, 11:42:20 AM
The reason that RG's self-penned work will never be loved is that RG exists in a world wholly devoid of empathy. He's a narcissistic, sociopath, and thinks the only way you can relate to other humans is to a) Bully them b) Mock them - and each time he writes something and has his character behave like an utter, awful, horrible prick, the end result is always that everyone thinks he has a heart of gold.

I think it's pretty telling that the clips of Tony with Dead Wife all seem to involve him playing some horrible prank on her, and they're presented as evidence of what a lovely, funny, kind man he is.

In this new trailer he throws a cream cake at one of his work colleagues because he thought that would cheer her up. Really, Ricky?

Pranksters are a tedious and sociopathic lot in general, and usually also bullies who love to dish it out but really cannot take it at all. Legend Gary, in other words.

Cold Meat Platter

What happens at the end of the last series? Does he realise that everyone undergoes loss and tries to get through it without acting like a prick or does something happen to validate him and his behaviour? Honestly can't be arsed even looking at him.

phes

He buys them all a yo-yo or fish n' chips or whatnot and everyone agrees he is like Ghandi

Blue Jam

It goes from being a shit Falling Down to being a shit A Christmas Carol.

BritishHobo

There's also a weird thing where he decides to use his 'honesty' (basically the same kind of honesty as the people in reality shows who crow that 'I tell it like it is!') as a superpower only against people who deserve it. Which, again, most of the people who he was horrible to in season one are people we're supposed to see as deserving of it anyway. And calling it a superpower seems like a weird hangover from Derek, and another example of Gervais treating basic ideas as if he's come up with some astonishing revelation on humanity. Tony talks for fucking ages about basic ideas about niceness, as if he's discussing quantum physics. You watch the whole season just for Gervais to go 'fuck me, did you guys know that it's good to be kind?!' at the end. Yes Ricky, I did. That's why I'm not obsessed with mocking overweight people.