Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:57:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Alan Partridge Podcast & This Time S2 Coming

Started by Malcy, February 14, 2020, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 12, 2020, 09:42:01 PM
Not at all. You have behaved impeccably throughout this whole imbroglio. I shall rest tonight a better man. Thank you.

It's exactly how I want it.

ASFTSN

I don't care what the sat-nav says, it's not your Dad

ASFTSN

Quote from: paruses on September 12, 2020, 07:31:13 PM
Whole thing has been ruined by the bit where he talks about
Spoiler alert
looking good in a backless dress
[close]
because as we all know Alan famously has
Spoiler alert
a fat back.
[close]

Seems like old Alan's in a bit better shape than the fat back days now, as he uses every opportunity to tell the listener.

holyzombiejesus

When he slips in to that deep South accent to describe Seldom hiding from the storm. "That dog aint no pussy, don't not scare for not nobody."

TheMonk

The theme tune is haunting me. I can not shake it.

Glebe

So I signed up for the free Audible trial cos I haven't found the full thing available elsewhere. Gonna give it a proper listen.

pigamus

sevendaughters

PRELIMINARY RANKINGS

MMM1 > IAP 1 > I, Part > KMKYWAP (inc. Xmas) > Oasthouse [new entry!] > MMM2 > TTWAP > KMYWAP radio > Day Today bits > Scissored Isle > Nomad > IAP2 > On The Hour bits  > Open Books With Martin Bryce > Alpha Papa > Places of my Life > stand-up bits live as part of those Coogan shows > Anglian Lives

Glebe

Anyone else have problems using the Audible cloud player in Windows? It would only play the first episode for me, but I've been able to use the Audible Download Manager to play it in Windows Media Player so that's okay.

Menu

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 14, 2020, 01:04:58 PM
PRELIMINARY RANKINGS

MMM1 > IAP 1 > I, Part > KMKYWAP (inc. Xmas) > Oasthouse [new entry!] > MMM2 > TTWAP > KMYWAP radio > Day Today bits > Scissored Isle > Nomad > IAP2 > On The Hour bits  > Open Books With Martin Bryce > Alpha Papa > Places of my Life > stand-up bits live as part of those Coogan shows > Anglian Lives

I'm interested in your distinction between MMM1 and MMM2. In my mind they all merge into one long season of 12 episodes. I'm not sure I could tell you which eps were in which season(apart from a couple). In what way is S2 noticeably worse than S1?

Actually this reminds me of one of my friends - a big fan of post-2008 Partridge (slightly too young for the TV stuff) who insists he can't tell the difference between S1 and S2 of IAP. I mean, honestly. That's just blindness.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Menu on September 15, 2020, 03:14:30 AM
I'm interested in your distinction between MMM1 and MMM2. In my mind they all merge into one long season of 12 episodes. I'm not sure I could tell you which eps were in which season(apart from a couple). In what way is S2 noticeably worse than S1?

I have the DVD of series 1 only, so I don't merge them together. They are distinct entities, and while I really like MMM2 (everything from IAP2 up is gold to me) I just felt like it was a slightly less-successful retread and slightly broader (particularly Julian Barratt and the kids at the end). Lines from the first series have become braintape whilst few from the second have. Splidding hairs though.

Menu

My favourite one is when he stands in for Eddie Shadow(Shepherd) on the Breakfast show. I think that's S2(EDIT - It's not). I find the one with the younger woman at the end of S1 just too awkward. So I swerve that one. I also find the wine woman/book club/welsh cook ones not as rewarding for multiple viewings.

Oh man, I just checked the episode synopsises. I forgot the radio play! That's the best.

After checking, I think my selections seems to veer across the two seasons, which is kinda what I thought to begin with.

paruses

Are the Fosters ones same as MMM1? I watch MMM in random order from downloads I got so never really know which is which and can only vaguely remember watching the Fosters ones as they were released.

Retinend

Utter Shit

Quote from: Menu on September 15, 2020, 03:14:30 AM
Actually this reminds me of one of my friends - a big fan of post-2008 Partridge (slightly too young for the TV stuff) who insists he can't tell the difference between S1 and S2 of IAP. I mean, honestly. That's just blindness.

Obviously as a fan I would be able to tell the difference as I know all the episodes more or less by heart, but I don't think there's a huge difference in quality at all. I've always wondered whether those who saw the first series had really high expectations for the second series and so felt the dip in quality more strongly. As someone who came a bit later (in fact I think the first run of the second series was my introduction to the character beyond a vague awareness of him from The Day Today), I'd say the first is probably better, but there isn't much in it.

Chollis

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 14, 2020, 01:04:58 PM
PRELIMINARY RANKINGS

MMM1 > IAP 1 > I, Part > KMKYWAP (inc. Xmas) > Oasthouse [new entry!] > MMM2 > TTWAP > KMYWAP radio > Day Today bits > Scissored Isle > Nomad > IAP2 > On The Hour bits  > Open Books With Martin Bryce > Alpha Papa >Places of my Life > stand-up bits live as part of those Coogan shows > Anglian Lives

are you on an E!?

bgmnts

I find the difference between 1 and 2 almost jarring.

Anyway fuck me this is so fucking funny, even on immediate second listen through. Life post-partridge sure will suck balls. I'd put Anglian Lives higher up on that list though! "300k! 300k or we take it to Sky!"

robhug

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 01:23:24 PM
I'd put Anglian Lives higher up on that list though! "300k! 300k or we take it to Sky!"

That was the Xmas KMKYWAP

ASFTSN

At this point the introspective, melancholic, slightly paranoid side of Partridge is so canon for me that the idea of watching him with a laugh track seems jarring. I'm sure it won't be the case when I rewatch IAP again but still...

QDRPHNC

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 01:29:39 PM
Dunno why I thought it was Anglian Lives.

I think they use that clip in Anglican Lives.

magval

Doesn't the deleted scenes section from Anglian Lives have the Melanie Hudson/hawk stuff though? And isn't creepy Mary in there as well?

Can 'Anglian Lives deleted scenes' be counted as its own entity and inserted into above ranking?

The IAP deleted scenes rolls are great as well.

Ja'moke

I laughed out loud during a walk yesterday listening to the bit where Alan says he has to wash the KFC stench from his hands because his dog Seldom would be furious if he found out he went to KFC without him.

Immediately conjured the image of Alan at the KFC drive-thru with Seldom in the passenger seat, his head in a bucket of chicken.

frajer

Yeah his relationship with Seldom is such a joy throughout. The potentially hacky "Alan gets a temperamental dog" is turned into such an unusual and rich seam of comedy because of course it's never as simple as that.

Alan's distressed pleading for Seldom to be quiet after he returns from his holiday, overlaid with Alan's voiceover explaining at length that he has to pretend to be a beta male in all interactions, to ensure the "insecure" Seldom believes he remains top dog, is brilliant character stuff.

ASFTSN

I think him boiling 16 eggs for a single one of Seldom's meals and then explaining that an egg based diet "comes at a price" is one of the most subtly disgusting things I've heard from a piece of comedy in a while.

bgmnts

Yeah too right. I immediately imagined the eggy fart smells but then imagined the state of the egg shits. Good god it made me cold.

Captain Z

Anglian Lives is one of my favourite things.

"to any nine people?"

pigamus

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 15, 2020, 05:28:55 AM
I have the DVD of series 1 only, so I don't merge them together. They are distinct entities, and while I really like MMM2 (everything from IAP2 up is gold to me) I just felt like it was a slightly less-successful retread and slightly broader (particularly Julian Barratt and the kids at the end). Lines from the first series have become braintape whilst few from the second have. Splidding hairs though.

Thank God! I was beginning to think I was the only person to think this.