Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Alan Partridge Podcast & This Time S2 Coming

Started by Malcy, February 14, 2020, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: Joe Oakes on September 16, 2020, 04:15:42 PM
or a valid ethical reason for not giving Audible money (i like to imagine that they were involved in some sort of powered baby seal milk scandal in the 80s)

Well, they're owned by Amazon.

I know this has been said a lot already but you can get the entire thing free by installing Audible as a free trial and then cancelling the subscription. This is so much easier than playing it as a long unsegmented mp3 off your phone (or whatever), it's free, and will still count as a purchase from Audible's perspective, thereby helping Coogan and Co.

So get it on Audible unless you have the moral objection to Amazon, which is fair enough

chveik

I was expecting a slight dig at Jeff Bezo from Alan

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 16, 2020, 02:07:02 PM
There's a few of those - Alan's thoughts on Top Gear and Piers Morgan come to mind.

Yes, the email from 'red star' was an example of this - a long rant about big tax-dodging corporations.
Alan's reaction gives insight into how the writers think. Contrast his "ooh he's got a bee in his bonnet" or words to that effect, not downplaying or satirising the message, with his reaction to more right wing characters or messages, like Reece Shearsmith in mmm2 saying that people who strike should be shot in front of their wife and kids.

kalowski

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 16, 2020, 10:31:11 AMSeriously, how fucking good is Steve Coogan?
I just said to my wife that I was amazed at how good Coogan is at physical comedy through the medium of sound. The sound he makes bending over to pick up the towel in the spa episode is sublime.

Glebe

I love his mad voice changes when he's rummaging in the attic.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: popcorn on September 16, 2020, 04:29:47 PM

I know this has been said a lot already but you can get the entire thing free by installing Audible as a free trial and then cancelling the subscription. This is so much easier than playing it as a long unsegmented mp3 off your phone (or whatever), it's free, and will still count as a purchase from Audible's perspective, thereby helping Coogan and Co.

So get it on Audible unless you have the moral objection to Amazon, which is fair enough

Plus when you cancel they try and get you to stay with an extra credit, so got limmys autobiography too on the way out...back of the net

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 03:30:45 PM
Yeah too right. I immediately imagined the eggy fart smells but then imagined the state of the egg shits. Good god it made me cold.

Maybe already mentioned but that egg slogan made me very uncomfortable with the extra breathy emphasis on "they're happy, because they eat eggs!"

pigamus

Okay, I'm going to have to be That Guy, because I'm really struggling with this. I'm at 2hr35 and I've turned it off a good few times out of boredom. Wherever this "best Partridge ever" is I haven't hit it yet.

PaulTMA

I've been pretty miserable this week and have only just realised it's a post-Oasthouse emptiness

oy vey

Quote from: pigamus on September 16, 2020, 10:07:45 PM
Okay, I'm going to have to be That Guy, because I'm really struggling with this. I'm at 2hr35 and I've turned it off a good few times out of boredom. Wherever this "best Partridge ever" is I haven't hit it yet.

Wait around for the oboe. It's useful.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: pigamus on September 16, 2020, 10:07:45 PM

It's really dense. I find that I lose concentration sometimes because of listening to it in the car or when otherwise occupied, but it's really solid when you're able to properly pay attention - as people have recently said, even just minor inflections or pronunciations that you'd miss if your ears blinked for a second. I can't imagine the amount of effort that must've gone into writing/performing/recording it.

Menu

Quote from: frajer on September 15, 2020, 05:04:27 PM
That is ace. Also enjoy the reaaaaalllllly slowed-down version that lasts forever and highlights how desperate and contrived all the wacky "boing" and "parp" effects are.

Yes I'd forgotten that. Very funny.

Menu

Quote from: popcorn on September 16, 2020, 04:29:47 PM

And just a reminder that even if you've used up all your free trials, this brilliant 8 hour Partridge MEGAPODCAST is only £8 ffs. It's definitely worth £8. It will last the rest of your life. Just pay it ffs.  So they might make more.

magval

PILE ON!

Aye fucking PAY FOR IT, for fuck sake. Use whatever rationale you need to, it's a few cups of coffee, it's 800 penny chews, whatever, just fucking pay for it so they make more, pay for the things in life that are good and stop expecting other people to do it for you.

Even if you CAN'T afford it, even if you live in an Alan Clarke film, even if you don't like Alan Partridge, laughing, spoken language or have ears or a brain, pay for Alan Partridge From The Oasthouse, now, got it?

Retinend

edit: Pay for it? If we do the audible trial scam, surely Amazon is paying him for the "token" we use regardless

Random thought: somewhere 2/3 through (sorry I didn't check the episode number) we got more info than ever about Fernando and Denise. Would it ruin it if we actually got to "meet" Fernando or Denise in a future TV show? Would "meeting them" have any more comic potential than the mere idea of them being absent in his life? It might just be too sad if they actually interacted with him on screen. What do you think?

Lemming

The way he pronounces "Are You Being Served?" as a question nearly fucking killed me. That is all.

pigamus

Quote from: magval on September 17, 2020, 08:03:49 AM
PILE ON!

Aye fucking PAY FOR IT, for fuck sake. Use whatever rationale you need to, it's a few cups of coffee, it's 800 penny chews, whatever, just fucking pay for it so they make more, pay for the things in life that are good and stop expecting other people to do it for you.

Even if you CAN'T afford it, even if you live in an Alan Clarke film, even if you don't like Alan Partridge, laughing, spoken language or have ears or a brain, pay for Alan Partridge From The Oasthouse, now, got it?

Where does the £8 figure come from? Isn't that how much Audible is a month? To buy it outright is £17.49

Bleeding Kansas

Yes, that's the monthly subscription which gives you one credit to purchase any book.  You can cancel the subscription as soon as you have bought it as you don't need to be subscribed in order to listen to any books you have purchased. I don't know why you would ever need to pay full price on audible.

One inconsequential thing in the podcast that stood out for me. If I remember correctly, there was a bit where Lynn sends an erroneous text messages to Alan in 1994. Firstly, is this conceivably a bit to early for text messaging? Secondly, this means that Lynn, despite using mobiles since the mid nineties, still struggles to send coherent text messages  (I believe her bad text messaging skills are mentioned in other Partridge audio books). I suppose it is funny that she hasn't improved over 25 years.

magval

Quote from: Retinend on September 17, 2020, 08:08:30 AM
edit: Pay for it? If we do the audible trial scam, surely Amazon is paying him for the "token" we use regardless

Nice one, tell you that to the ones scouring the Internet for a free download of which Amazon has no awareness like the upthread Reddit discussions.

sevendaughters

I haven't been paid since May and am ineligible for benefit, and seeing as Coogan and presumably the Gibbons and all audio techs were paid a flat fee up front, and Audible is owned by the world's richest company, I feel no sorrow at stealing this. I realise this isn't a perfect moral argument, but I look on Soulseek now and there are dozens of people who have albums I made.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotepay for the things in life that are good and stop expecting other people to do it for you.

This is a particularly flimsy argument to apply to a podcast, a medium people on low incomes and without major funding can create and publish work of artistic value, but the fact is the product has emerged in a certain form which is infinitely duplicatable at no cost and such a product has a market value of zero. Audible have also decided this specific product should be released for free for a time as a hook to attract people to their wider service. The creators have also consented to this and they have been paid for their work. Someone not paying to hear this is not depriving them of their livelihoods. It is up to Audible/Amazon whether they commission work to be done and whether they decide to use it as a loss leader and whether they choose to protect the copyright of that work adequately, or whether they let it escape to a format that is infinitely duplicatable and has a market value of zero. If they found piracy morally abhorrent enough then they would have protected this art. As it happens, they have most likely accepted archival and sharing will occur and will budget accordingly. They accepted the risk, they took the risk. Everything else is extraneous.

(Never mind the fact that Partridge wouldn't be half as popular or well known had it not been for the freely accessible content that has been shared. Word of mouth is, as it has always been, free advertising.)

sevendaughters doesn't need to justify why they haven't paid for this in the way they have done.

sevendaughters

I didn't feel I needed to justify, I just wanted to put out a statement of where I am. If it is justified or remains a crime to anyone then that's down to them.

magval

Consider my understanding of the matter broadened lads. I am guilty of overreaction often and certainly in this case and it is unfair of me to presume that everyone who makes the choice not to pay for something which isn't free is at all like the small number of entitled assholes I know in the 'real world'. That is not intended to sound like a backhand, even it reads that way.

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances sevendaughters.

bgmnts

If there was a way for the money to go directly to the creators, a la Patreon, with none of the pointless middle men getting any, i'd urge paying for it, but fuck it they're getting paid by Bezos.

Retinend

Quote from: magval on September 17, 2020, 10:15:49 AM
Nice one, tell you that to the ones scouring the Internet for a free download of which Amazon has no awareness like the upthread Reddit discussions.

This thread moves so fast. I thought you were referring to the post above yours, which regards using Amazon to get the podcasts for "free".

I'm with you, though: if you are thinking of  pirating this, just jump through the hoops and get your free audible trial. It's probably, like, one hoop. Presuming you're normal and you already have an Amazon account.

Personally, upon getting access to it on Audible, I used a second PC to play the entire 6 hours through, meanwhile recording the speaker output in Audacity so I wouldn't lose possession of the series even after I cancelled the free Audible subscription.

(It strikes me that what I just wrote could be easily read in Partridge's voice. Welp.)

popcorn

Quote from: Retinend on September 17, 2020, 11:44:14 AM
Personally, upon getting access to it on Audible, I used a second PC to play the entire 6 hours through, meanwhile recording the speaker output in Audacity so I wouldn't lose possession of the series even after I cancelled the free Audible subscription.

An Audible subscription just gives you monthly credits to buy new books with. You don't lose audiobooks after you cancel your Audible subscription. They remain in your Audible app.

You also don't lose any unused Audible credits if you pause or cancel your subscription.

You can also return completed books and get the credit refunded. You can do this a surprising number of times before they stop letting you.

Again, Amazon is an evil company so I would understand not supporting them on that basis. But from a consumer perspective Audible is an unbelievably flexible, generous service that will literally give you the books you want free with no strings attached. I am slightly alarmed by the hoops people are jumping through to circumvent using it.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 17, 2020, 10:58:56 AM
This is a particularly flimsy argument to apply to a podcast, a medium people on low incomes and without major funding can create and publish work of artistic value, but the fact is the product has emerged in a certain form which is infinitely duplicatable at no cost and such a product has a market value of zero.

Sorry, but your entire argument is flimsy. People on low incomes and without major funding can make movies, or make music, or paint pictures, or write books, or any other number of other ways of artistic expression, podcasts are not alone in this. All those other forms of art can also be reproduced digitally at no cost and shared freely, does that mean no one should have to pay for any of that stuff either because it has a market value of zero? The only difference I can see is that people are used to getting podcasts for free so balk at the idea of paying for them.

Audible have also decided this specific product should be released for free for a time as a hook to attract people to their wider service.

No, they haven't. You can get it for free if you sign up for a free trial, otherwise you have to pay for it, it hasn't been made specifically free.

Someone not paying to hear this is not depriving them of their livelihoods.

Not for this project, but if everyone pirates it and Audible see that no one is buying it from them, why on earth would they pay to recommission Coogan for any more?

If you want to pirate it, fine, we all do it, just stop trying all this fancy rationalization. It was just suggested that it might be nice if you can't afford to buy it to do the free trial thing so it registers as a sale (which is what I did as I can't afford it) so we might get some more, rather than pirate it elsewhere.

popcorn

Audible have also decided this specific product should be released for free for a time as a hook to attract people to their wider service. The creators have also consented to this and they have been paid for their work. Someone not paying to hear this is not depriving them of their livelihoods.

A have a tiny nitpick about this.

Clearly whether a few thousand people pirate Oasthouse will have no meaningful impact on the livelihoods on Coogan and co. But the number of people who download it on Audible is a number that will influence the terms of any future Audible-Partridge deal.

I also question your assumption that they have been paid for their work (the implication being that the transaction is already finished); it's normal for writers to receive royalties based on book sales, so I expect this is true of audiobook sales too. When Audible give the book away free with trial subscriptions etc, it's unlikely that this results in a different result for the authors, in terms of royalties or whatever.

None of this is an attack on piracy, by the way. I watch Partridge clips on YouTube instead of streaming them on Amazon or whatever it is you're supposed to do. I'm just pointing out that it's not correct to say that choosing to pirate the podcast has no impact at all on its creators.

BeardFaceMan

(Never mind the fact that Partridge wouldn't be half as popular or well known had it not been for the freely accessible content that has been shared. Word of mouth is, as it has always been, free advertising.)

I'd dispute that too. Partridge is mainstream, and has been for over 20 years, well before the popularity of the internet. That's why he kept coming back, not because a few people on the internet were sharing clips.

sevendaughters

it's the third Audible-Coogan deal so I think it's fair to assume people are happy with the proceeds.

popcorn

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2020, 12:39:39 PM
it's the third Audible-Coogan deal so I think it's fair to assume people are happy with the proceeds.

It's not that simple though is it.

We have no idea what their deal is. If they can point to the Oasthouse and go look, this got 100,000 downloads or generated 6,000 new subscriptions or whatever, so give us 14% for the next book instead of 12%, then that's an example of a real impact.

Again, I don't actually care about how many more classic cars Coogan can buy, I don't blame any individual for pirating anything and I have torrented terabytes of stuff over the years, it just isn't correct to say it has no effect at all on anything.