Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Alan Partridge Podcast & This Time S2 Coming

Started by Malcy, February 14, 2020, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I'm returning a CD/DVD drive which quickly stopped working. They wanted me to send it back. I said I was all disabled and had no printer, so they are coming to pick it up next week.

You can always say you never received the item, Amazon always believes the buyer, even if there's a signature and video of you opening the parcel with the thing inside.

pigamus

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 18, 2020, 06:18:45 PM
I'm returning a CD/DVD drive which quickly stopped working. They wanted me to send it back. I said I was all disabled and had no printer, so they are coming to pick it up next week.

You can always say you never received the item, Amazon always believes the buyer, even if there's a signature and video of you opening the parcel with the thing inside.

Sorry I came to the last page first and thought you were quoting an episode I hadn't got to yet.

Nothing personal, I was cycling home the other night and criticised a car driver in my head and it automatically turned into Partridge.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: jobotic on September 18, 2020, 09:33:24 PM
Sorry I came to the last page first and thought you were quoting an episode I hadn't got to yet.

Nothing personal, I was cycling home the other night and criticised a car driver in my head and it automatically turned into Partridge.

'You trying to bum me?'

Retinend

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 18, 2020, 06:00:38 PM
If you're a regular customer and believe you're owed something for your custom, try telling them something you bought was broken or whatever and ask for a refund. I've never done this illegitimately, but have twice had to request a refund for genuinely faulty products and both times they just gave me the refund without asking for proof. Annoyingly the same fault seemed to affect three separate copies of the fantastic Phl Collins tribute album Urban Renewal, they kept sending me replacement copies as requested until I eventually said "look lads, the entire batch is fucked can you just send me a refund". Ans they just sent it out without any hassle

As far as I understand this happens if you have a long record of buying products without any issues, I guess because they value your custom and can see you don't have a track record of trying to scam them.

Exactly the same thing happened with John Lewis with my first ever order from them - the delivery guy literally smashed a pair of whiskey glasses by my front door as he delivered them, I was already on the phone to customer services before he had even gone. They didn't ask for any proof of damage or anything, just sent a new pair out instantly. And that was before I had any purchasing history with them whatsoever. Bound to be plenty of cads who have taken advantage of their policy.

...You little devil.

Menu

Quote from: Retinend on September 18, 2020, 11:49:55 AM
Maybe I'm naive: if it wasn't for the lab-rat like existence of Amazon workers, would it be such a problem company? I don't see anything wrong with its success in terms of replacing the high street, for example. The high street is shit: you can never get the best product that is out there. But put a pin in that...

Since Audible is only financially linked to Amazon, and doesn't contribute to expanding internal demand for those nasty warehouse working conditions, I think it deserves a pass.  If Audible made 2x the profit, I don't see what the negative repercussions would be. Obvious the positive repercussions would be huge for the creative and/or funny people community.

Most - MOST - of the people who are refusing to buy this thing (and the Adam Buxton audiobook) are just being tight. But they feel they have to dress it up as some sort of principled attack on capitalism or something. No, mate. You're just tight. Admit it. (Obviously there will be the few who genuinely can't afford it)

beanheadmcginty

Can't shake the mental image of Anton du Beke spraying his pizzazz all over a car's upholstery.

paruses

Nick Knowles' AMA planted questions got a big laugh from me for something so throwaway.

Shaky

I thought the chapter with Alan's grandkids was beautifully done and really quite moving, as well as having lots of top gags. I'm surprised but happy it went the way it did.

Can't wait until we get some more of these.

paruses

Quote from: Shaky on September 21, 2020, 08:46:41 AM
I thought the chapter with Alan's grandkids was beautifully done and really quite moving, as well as having lots of top gags. I'm surprised but happy it went the way it did.

Can't wait until we get some more of these.

Same.

Keep laughing on and off at the grandkids
Spoiler alert
shouting A-ha! up at him.
[close]

Thought the way he
Spoiler alert
reverted to type
[close]
when
Spoiler alert
telling them how to put the ladder up was funny but also really grounded in the way that real people act.
[close]

IsavedLatin

At the risk of derailing conversation about the content of FTO again ...

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2020, 12:39:39 PM
it's the third Audible-Coogan deal so I think it's fair to assume people are happy with the proceeds.

It's actually the first Audible-Coogan deal. The audiobooks of the previous Partridge books are available for purchase on Audible, but they were published by full-service/old-fashioned publishing houses, who made the books available in print and ebook as well as audiobook (and these audiobooks were also available for purchase on other audiobook retail sites too).

All of this is guesswork, but I think you can take it that Audible (who are both a retailer of audiobooks, produced by all sorts of publishers, and also publishers themselves of their own exclusive content) saw that the earlier Partridge audiobooks did well -- well enough to prompt them to make an exclusive deal with Coogan et al for a new, third, Partridge audio project, anticipating that it would be very much worth their while to do so. (At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, "Audible-exclusive" means it won't be available on other audio retail sites, and is really unlikely to be put out in other formats (print and ebook)*.)

*I am unaware of a precedent for this, anyway, with other Audible-exclusive projects, but then Partridge is a very special beast so if they see that there is sufficient fan demand then they may well entertain the possibility of expanding this project into other formats.

Quote from: popcorn on September 17, 2020, 06:07:34 PM
I know nothing whatsoever about bookselling and I'm not a data scientist. But I do work in the field of data metrics bollocks. I will now speculate from my anus. Behold:

Amazon know that when people create a free Audible subscription and get a free book many will cancel the subscription. But from Amazon's perspective, that's not a loss. It's a win, when compared to the starting position, which is that you didn't have an Audible account (and might not even have had an Amazon account).

For the cost of giving you a free book, they have got your email address, put Audible on your phone, and hoovered up some other data about you that you probably didn't notice. You now know what Audible is and you know its potential value to you, leading to a vastly improved odds of one day paying for something. They have also gathered a few extra morsels of data points they can use to sharpen their algorithms and publishing strategies. Amazon have won. They are in this for the long term.

I would find it incredibly surprising if there were some category of books Amazon was devaluing internally (and therefore paying Coogan less for) because they triggered a high proportion of free subscriptions that did not immediately lead to paid subscriptions. Those are still high-value propositions for Amazon.

This is absolutely spot on.

wooders1978

It's a bit like supermarkets making a massive loss to on milk and bread

pigamus

Just tried to buy I, Partridge with my Amazon gift voucher and nope - you still can't. Daft.

TheMonk

Quote from: IsavedLatin on September 23, 2020, 07:19:15 PM
*I am unaware of a precedent for this, anyway, with other Audible-exclusive projects, but then Partridge is a very special beast so if they see that there is sufficient fan demand then they may well entertain the possibility of expanding this project into other formats.
There's a Goodies audio episode they did last year but it's free with Audible I think. Listened once. Not bad for a bit of nostalgia but it's written by a fan I think, not Oddie and Garden so it doesn't feel canon to me.
Garden said on Twitter they were about to do more but obvious that won't happen now.

Glebe

Just been inspired to watch Mid Morning Matters again. Absolutely cracking. Coogan's delivery is just fabulous (and Tim Key is great too of course).

Cold Meat Platter

Anyone else notice the couple of references to
Spoiler alert
draclea
[close]
? Made me smile for some reason.

chveik

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 25, 2020, 11:58:45 PM
Anyone else notice the couple of references to
Spoiler alert
draclea
[close]
? Made me smile for some reason.

Alan's been reading HS Art

Glebe

Quote from: chveik on September 26, 2020, 12:04:17 AMAlan's been reading HS Art

My Sister got me Alan Partridge: Every Ruddy Word for Christmas some years ago, there's an episode of I'm Alan Partridge where he pronounces it like that and it does indeed have it as 'Draclea' in the script.

olliebean

The first one has, but I've not seen the other three before, so thanks for those.

jobotic

Just listened to the episode with Morris.

Spoiler alert
I laughed out loud when High Noon was tweeting him with sensible advice on looking after him - it's Oddie!
[close]

Menu

Quote from: jobotic on September 27, 2020, 10:50:43 PM
Just listened to the episode with Morris.

Spoiler alert
I laughed out loud when High Noon was tweeting him with sensible advice on looking after him - it's Oddie!
[close]

There's an episode with Chris Morris? Really??

Menu

Cold Meat Platter

Dusty Substance

I binge listened to all of APFTO over the weekend. My God, it's so incredibly good. A whole ton of jokes and lines that I'd missed the first time around from laughing too much at other lines. As previously pointed out in this thread, huge kudos to Coogan for not only the writing and delivery but for the physical comedy conjured in the mind's eye when he's running or bending over. Astonishingly good stuff.

Menu

bomb_dog

Ok, it's an accidental Partridge, but it's so good it's worth seeing if you haven't already.

Barrymore's 'I'll see you when you get there' with 'Remission'

pigamus

Quote from: pigamus on September 23, 2020, 10:03:57 PM
Just tried to buy I, Partridge with my Amazon gift voucher and nope - you still can't. Daft.

Just discovered you can get it on Google Play, which is quite good. Can't get Oasthouse on there though.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: pigamus on September 29, 2020, 06:02:57 AM
Just discovered you can get it on Google Play, which is quite good. Can't get Oasthouse on there though.

I, Partridge and Nomad were books that had audio versions that were available in lots of places, including Audible. FTO is an Audible exclusive , they commissioned it and you can't get it anywhere else.

Dr Rock