Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,462
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:47:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Alan Partridge Podcast & This Time S2 Coming

Started by Malcy, February 14, 2020, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Utter Shit

If anyone's interested, the Monkey Tennis podcast has put out interviews with Tim Key and Susannah Fielding in the past couple of weeks. If you can get past the slightly irritating hosts, the interviews are definitely worth listening to - Tim Key's is great as you'd expect, and Susannah Fielding's gives a lot of detail about how This Time was made, with a few little bits of info about the next series. Nothing particularly revelatory, but enough to whet the appetite.

QDRPHNC

McChesney Duntz

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 09, 2020, 06:34:24 PM
Anyone seen this? Pretty good article - https://www.vice.com/en/article/4ayjpj/oral-history-of-alan-partridge

Cheers for the share, that is pretty good (although it'd be even better to just read everything all of them had to say rather than the curated version!)

Captain Z

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 09, 2020, 03:14:18 PM
https://www.vice.com/en/article/4ayjpj/oral-history-of-alan-partridge

Nice little article with quotes from all involved.

Quote from: Arthur MathewsWe actually had Steve read for Father Ted at one stage, because he did this impression of an Irish relative he had. We were going to use that kind of character – it would have been for the Eurovision episode, he would have been the presenter – but it didn't work out.

That was pretty big, shame it didn't work out.

Also...

Quote from: Steve CooganSo: politics, sexual politics, post-woke cancel culture, all the rest of all that stuff that people get very passionate about. I just wouldn't bother talking about that stuff because I want a quiet life. That's why I don't use social media. I don't want to get sucked into a vortex. I've seen other people get sucked into pointless conversations with people they don't know, and I just can't think of anything worse.

BeardFaceMan

He's right when he says he channels all that stuff through Alan instead, you can usually tell when Alan is talking about something Coogan is interested in (cars), or you can gauge Coogan's opinion on something from the way Alan talks about it (like The Daily Mail, grammar mistakes etc). I notice that kind of thing a lot more in the Alan material since the Gibbons Bros came on board.

jake thunder

Is there such a thing as a written version or transcript of Oasthouse?

Audible must have to cater to the deaf I'd've thought.

magval

I wonder is that the case? Aren't there other audio-only products on there? It's not strictly a site for audio versions of printed books, I mean.

Dr Rock

https://www.hearinglikeme.com/audible-to-release-captions-for-audiobooks/

QuoteWhile Netflix, YouTube and TV have increased captioning awareness and accessibility, one form of media that hasn't been accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing community, as of yet, is audiobooks.
This, however, is about to change.

Audible, Amazon's audiobook company, says it had plans to release captions for audiobooks.

Soon, Audible customers will receive access to captions on any audiobook they choose. In addition to the captions, they'll be able to highlight words, and look up definitions and language translations. All this will be able to be done through the Audible app.

That was last  year though, don't know if they've implemented it yet.

pigamus

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 12, 2020, 07:54:14 AM
He's right when he says he channels all that stuff through Alan instead, you can usually tell when Alan is talking about something Coogan is interested in (cars), or you can gauge Coogan's opinion on something from the way Alan talks about it (like The Daily Mail, grammar mistakes etc). I notice that kind of thing a lot more in the Alan material since the Gibbons Bros came on board.

Yeah, I don't think it always works - I'm not totally buying Partridge as a grammar pedant, frinstance.

Onto my second listen of "From The Oasthouse" and it's fantastic.  It's so densely layered with subtle (and not-so-subtle) Alan-isms it's difficult to take them all in during one listen.  One of my favourite moments occurs when Alan describes running "like a bastard":
I take the same route every week.  Part of it, of course, crosses private property but when the farmer threatened to prosecute me, I threatened to tell DEFRA that he used his EEC grant to buy himself a Jag.  Checkmate!  He soon piped down..  ..and I continue to run across his potatoes.

Cold Meat Platter

So many tiny bits of his performance that crack me up in this. You cannot overstate how good Coogan is.
One that recently had me laughing in the street was his pronunciation of Chaka Khan in his dream description.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Watching a bunch of partridge this afternoon with a mate and we can't find Places Of My Life anywhere, torrents included strangely , has anyone got a copy they don't mind sharing please?!

TheMonk

Available for purchase on iTunes with Open Books. They've called the package Partrimilgrimage.

magval

Quote from: TheMonk on November 01, 2020, 01:29:53 PM
Available for purchase on iTunes with Open Books. They've called the package Partrimilgrimage.

Same for DVD.

IsavedLatin

Sorry for the extremely slow response but this finally caught my eye:

Quote from: jake thunder on October 14, 2020, 05:50:13 PM
Is there such a thing as a written version or transcript of Oasthouse?

Audible must have to cater to the deaf I'd've thought.

To which the correct response is:

Quote from: magval on October 14, 2020, 06:30:20 PM
I wonder is that the case? Aren't there other audio-only products on there? It's not strictly a site for audio versions of printed books, I mean.

There are plenty of other audio-only products on there, and that Audible captions business mentioned elsewhere in this thread -- it's been long bruited about but no sign yet of it actually coming in, mostly because it's a rights minefield.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on November 01, 2020, 01:06:59 PM
Watching a bunch of partridge this afternoon with a mate and we can't find Places Of My Life anywhere, torrents included strangely , has anyone got a copy they don't mind sharing please?!

Pretty sure it was still on dailymotion or vimeo recently.

Malcy

Series 2 of This Time has just finished filming.

QuoteThe BBC said season two would find Alan "now established as the show's co-presenter" and would "follow Alan on air and off as he tries to cling on to his position, in the face of behind-the-scenes upheaval and [his] fears that his relevance is dwindling".

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/comedy/2020-12-22/this-time-with-alan-partridge-season-2-2021/

petril

the

Looking forward to another 100 pages of people not comprehending why we get to see interactions on the studio floor that aren't part of the TT broadcast.

QDRPHNC

^ I think the issue was more than large swathes of the show didn't make sense within it's own context.

QDRPHNC

Having said that, I'm looking forward to this. The first series was funny enough (although Oast House is much, much better). I think This Time just could have been vastly improved if they'd had a bit more discipline in terms of operating within the parameters of the world instead of breaking the suspension of disbelief in pursuit of jokes that weren't worth it.

Ornlu

Glebe

kalowski

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 22, 2020, 04:49:36 PM
^ I think the issue was more than large swathes of the show didn't make sense within it's own context.
I think the issue was that it just wasn't funny enough. It was nothing compared to the brilliance of the Oast House.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 22, 2020, 04:54:38 PM
Having said that, I'm looking forward to this. The first series was funny enough (although Oast House is much, much better). I think This Time just could have been vastly improved if they'd had a bit more discipline in terms of operating within the parameters of the world instead of breaking the suspension of disbelief in pursuit of jokes that weren't worth it.

I thought overall those bits livened up sections which were quite hollow and threadless. It's already beyond real belief that I'd argue it doesn't require any suspension of disbelief. I think this is why Episode 6 was my favourite as whatever happens, having Alan steering it formalises pretty much whatever happens. It's entirely believable that such things would happen with Alan at the helm and the more he is left to do, the more that sort of thing will happen. At it's best, Alan stuff whips itself up into a sort of energy that is propelled by the laughs. Which was noticably missing from sections of This Time.

I'm still genuinely surprised no-one involved realised during production there was something, or perhaps several things fundamentally not right about the setup. I don't know how it got so far with so many glaring misses, clunky moments, half-fulfilled ideas.

If they don't fix them for series 2 it will display a real lack of ambition.