Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, February 14, 2020, 06:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Am living in the shadow of a significant life- changing death, as I will be for the rest of my life, and have learned today that a friend of mine from Phnom Penh, with whom I associate all my best memories of that place, has died. He died on my birthday, apparently. He was 28 60.

I don't like death. Can anyone offer any arguments in favour of death?

kittens

if no one ever died the world would be so full now that everyone would be crushed to death

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ good point, well made.

Shit Good Nose

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Not all my best memories from there, then, but a lot of them. Fucker's dead now. Honestly! Is there any need?

bgmnts

Sebastian Cobb

Dewt

Dewt

Looks like John Lennong

Noonling

Quote from: kittens on February 14, 2020, 06:11:40 PM
if no one ever died the world would be so full now that everyone would be crushed to death

I believe it is something like 6% of people who have ever lived are alive right now.  So while obviously there would be a shortage of resources and you would have to sleep in bunk beds, people wouldn't literally be crushed.

Hope that helps :)

Noonling

In regards to the original post: no one ever actually dies, they just jump to a new timeline where they narrowly missed death.

Somewhere in a parallel universe Henry VIII is celebrating his 528th birthday with his 58th wife.

Butchers Blind

If it wasn't for funerals where else would we hear Robbie Williams Angels.

kittens

Quote from: Noonling on February 14, 2020, 06:23:36 PM
I believe it is something like 6% of people who have ever lived are alive right now.  So while obviously there would be a shortage of resources and you would have to sleep in bunk beds, people wouldn't literally be crushed.

Hope that helps :)

i am sorry but this is very unhelpful. could you please reconsider.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Noonling on February 14, 2020, 06:26:24 PM
In regards to the original post: no one ever actually dies, they just jump to a new timeline where they narrowly missed death.

Somewhere in a parallel universe Henry VIII is celebrating his 528th birthday with his 58th wife.
can confirm this is true. I have never died

Looper

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 14, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
If it wasn't for funerals where else would we hear Robbie Williams Angels.

At a pissed up Karaoke in Nottingham.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I, too, have never died.

But, then again, I *am* a very succesful stand- up comedian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😃😺🤠😹👍🎅☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻😂👻😅🙈😊😀😁😂🤣😃😄😉😋😎🤗😛😜😝🤤

Noonling

Quote from: kittens on February 14, 2020, 06:42:15 PM
i am sorry but this is very unhelpful. could you please reconsider.

I can't reconsider FACTS.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Imagine the alternative to death, living forever. It might be alright for a few hundred years, but after a couple of millennia a human would be waking up screaming and begging for it to stop. We aren't made for immortality, which ironically is what a lot of religions promise as the heavenly afterlife. Just get in your grave and get fucking comfy you dick.

imitationleather

Somewhere there's a parallel dimension where turkeys are immortal.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on February 14, 2020, 07:27:35 PM
Somewhere there's a parallel dimension where turkeys are immortal.

Somewhere there's a parallel dimension where you and I are highly evolved sentient turkeys talking on a turkey message board. Gobble?

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 14, 2020, 06:10:04 PM
I don't like death. Can anyone offer any arguments in favour of death?

Death is a release. Some people (grannies) like to imagine an afterlife, but I find no comfort in the idea. After all the strife and misery, it would be nice to pass into oblivion. But no, for the afterlifers, there is no escape. No, you must exist forever and ever, in a mandated 'paradise'. Which would surely become boring after a while, if it's an eternity. I suppose you could go to Hell instead, but even the red-hot anal poker will get to a point where it's just the same old, same old. This was horrifying ten thousand years ago - what's your new trick?

'Well,' says the demon, 'I don't have one, sinner. But the onus is not on me. I'm pokering you as a punishment! Aha. How do you like that? Eh? Eh?'

'Yeah, that's really sore and Oh-how-I-lament-my-wicked-ways. Look at my face, I'm making a sad face. Showing my contrition, don't you see? I'm sorry.'

'Not sorry enough!' shrieks the demon, without much enthusiasm.

'Look,' you say, 'we're obviously both bored of this. Why persist?'

'It's my job.'

'I know. But come on. You're not impressing anyone here.'

'Tfft. Okay.'

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain.

kittens

mark twain was an ancient zombie?

Quote from: kittens on February 14, 2020, 07:53:40 PM
mark twain was an ancient zombie?

As is his 158-year-old daughter, Shania.

bgmnts

It's weird that Shania and Mark never knew each other.

Is that what they mean by "Never the Twain shall meet"?

Pseudopath

Grief is the price you pay for love.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 14, 2020, 07:58:57 PM
It's weird that Shania and Mark never knew each other.

Is that what they mean by "Never the Twain shall meet"?

Yeah. I'm on Twitter too, mate.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 14, 2020, 08:01:19 PM
Yeah. I'm on Twitter too, mate.

I'm not the first person to make that joke?
Genuinely gutted. Give me their twitter name and i'll fucking kill them.

Psmith

I'm in my 70's so  this has happened a few times.
It can get you down but you can't do anything about it.
Just remember that you'll never ever see or speak to them again.
Some favourite places you expect to see them and then realize they'll never be there.
But you could be some kid living in Syria or similar shitty place
So get over yourself.
Hope this helps.

Alberon

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on February 14, 2020, 07:51:35 PM
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain.

Never understood that attitude. The non-existence before your conception is receding in time while the non-existence after your death is approaching.

I know which one worries me.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Psmith on February 14, 2020, 08:08:23 PM
I'm in my 70's so  this has happened a few times.
It can get you down but you can't do anything about it.
Just remember that you'll never ever see or speak to them again.
Some favourite places you expect to see them and then realize they'll never be there.
But you could be some kid living in Syria or similar shitty place
So get over yourself.
Hope this helps.

Is that you Dad?