Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Storm Dennis. The weather twat.

Started by Looper, February 14, 2020, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Alberon on February 15, 2020, 05:47:22 PM
Apparently, the storm for the letter K is Kitty which is just wrong.

How do they name these things? Is there only one name per letter?

And if so, how did they end up with Dennis and Kitty. And also, why are they naming them?

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Idea:

Companies bid to have their brand name as the storm in return for spending money on infrastructure, sandbags, water-skis, emergency services in vulnerable communities etc.

Storm McDonalds  etc.

poo

Danger Man

Storm Penis more like.

SMBH's flaccid penis.

H-O-W-L

Big gust of wind blew down my shed, then a second gust blew it right back up again. Unbelievable!

shiftwork2

It's a bit windy yet loads of cunts on the news seem to be prepping for sandbag armageddon.  I wonder if we have a hysterical media stuffed with get-ahead cokehead arseholes or something like that?

bgmnts

The local river has risen big time.

Dead soon.

Twit 2

I'm in Seville not giving a fuck about storm cos was 24 degrees today. Flew the fuck out Dennis this morning, pilot was like "careful mate storm there careful' I was like, 'haha loosers.'

Black Ship

Tree fell down onto the patio at work. Thankfully nobody was outside at the time. Couple of umbrellas and a bench got totalled though.

Kryton

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Twit 2 on February 15, 2020, 09:52:08 PM
I'm in Seville not giving a fuck about storm cos was 24 degrees today. Flew the fuck out Dennis this morning, pilot was like "careful mate storm there careful' I was like, 'haha loosers.'

Seville is suffering from paedos. Thousands of them.

idunnosomename

storm dennis blew my penis off. someone stamp on it before it gets away

BlodwynPig

Its that weather again

And over on ITV2 its You've Been Framed Gold

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 15, 2020, 07:46:37 PM
And also, why are they naming them?

They started doing it a few years back as its supposed to raise public awareness of dangerous storms. If you just have some weather geeks going on about isobars on a weather chart, people'll think it's just the wind gods doing a wee fart and will still just pop down to the shops on their personal hang-gliders.

If, on the other hand, everyone's going "Storm Hetty is coming to fuck you up" then people will know to lie doggo for a while.  And they'll know that the weather people are not still just the talking about same minor squall they scoffed at last Wednesday because this time it'll be called Storm Iain and not Storm Hetty.

Flatulent Fox

I havn't met Dennis yet,but that storm Ciara was a right fkn cow.

Dr Syntax Head

I have been spoiled. 2 major storms in quick succession. My little hikes around Cornwall have been spiced up lovely.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 15, 2020, 07:46:37 PM
How do they name these things? Is there only one name per letter?

And if so, how did they end up with Dennis and Kitty. And also, why are they naming them?

Probably named by a committee.  The alphabet alternates with male & female names.  They must have more than one set of names ready because I remember one year they got through the whole alphabet in about 2 months and had to start again.  I suppose they name them because it's easier to keep track rather than just numbering them.  If they just numbered them it could get confusing on occasions when there's 5 or 6 on the go all at the same time.

Flatulent Fox

Just cut short a bike ride because of severe wind.
It was pretty blustery outside too.

Ambient Sheep

Cool video of an Etihad A380 appearing to virtually hover at Heathrow as it attempts a crosswind landing during Dennis.  Brings a whole new meaning to the word "float".

https://news.sky.com/video/storm-dennis-etihad-plane-struggles-to-land-at-london-heathrow-airport-11935547

Birdie

Yeah, I'm trying to leave your country and this storm is not impressing me.  Just after I arrived you had that storm Ciara.  I guess it gives everyone something to talk about other than B*****.

Sort it out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 16, 2020, 02:19:51 PM
Cool video of an Etihad A380 appearing to virtually hover at Heathrow as it attempts a crosswind landing during Dennis.  Brings a whole new meaning to the word "float".

https://news.sky.com/video/storm-dennis-etihad-plane-struggles-to-land-at-london-heathrow-airport-11935547

Wow... that was more like watching a helicopter land. Did it end up on the grass? I can't tell.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 16, 2020, 04:22:14 PM
Wow... that was more like watching a helicopter land. Did it end up on the grass? I can't tell.

I don't think so; it does look to me as if once it's landed, it takes a usual mid-runway taxiway exit, but the telephoto lens makes it difficult to tell.  (It also accentuates the "hovering" effect as well, of course.)

I thought it was quite impressive myself, but in the time since I posted that link the PPRuNers are far less so: marvelling that the landing gear didn't collapse and saying that if they were a trainee they'd be kicked off the course!! https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/629786-a380-hovering.html

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Birdie on February 16, 2020, 04:15:33 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to leave your country and this storm is not impressing me.  Just after I arrived you had that storm Ciara.  I guess it gives everyone something to talk about other than B*****.

Sort it out.

Wait, what, you've been over here and didn't let us know?  Harrumph!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 16, 2020, 04:44:51 PM
I don't think so; it does look to me as if once it's landed, it takes a usual mid-runway taxiway exit, but the telephoto lens makes it difficult to tell.  (It also accentuates the "hovering" effect as well, of course.)

I thought it was quite impressive myself, but in the time since I posted that link the PPRuNers are far less so: marvelling that the landing gear didn't collapse and saying that if they were a trainee they'd be kicked off the course!! https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/629786-a380-hovering.html

More storm Dennis landings at Heathrow, for comparison:

Winter Storm Dennis - Turbulent Crosswinds and Go-arounds | Storm 2020 London Heathrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1673PTAEfY

Could the landing at 7m57s be the same one as in the original video, or are A380 and A388 different models of plane?

Etihad Airways A380 crosswind landing at Heathrow Airport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeVEbYHmTcM

weekender

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 16, 2020, 07:35:55 PMCould the landing at 7m57s be the same one as in the original video, or are A380s and A388s different models of plane?

They are different; an A388 is 8 better than an A380.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: weekender on February 16, 2020, 07:37:45 PM
They are different; an A388 is 8 better than an A380.

That's what I initially assumed but then I started to wonder if plane people call any plane in the range A380-A389 an A380 for short.

weekender

Well, asking a forum of mentally deranged Chris Morris fans is certainly what I'd do instead of Googling it.

idunnosomename

help it hurts when i pull back my foreskin