Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Storm Dennis. The weather twat.

Started by Looper, February 14, 2020, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 16, 2020, 02:19:51 PM
Cool video of an Etihad A380 appearing to virtually hover at Heathrow as it attempts a crosswind landing during Dennis.  Brings a whole new meaning to the word "float".

https://news.sky.com/video/storm-dennis-etihad-plane-struggles-to-land-at-london-heathrow-airport-11935547

I was once on a much smaller plane, an AT76 I believe, trying to land in strong wind. During our descent we passed a huge plume of smoke emanating from a fire at a recycling plant.

The plane almost reached the runway, but gusts forced us back up into the air, to circle around and try again. On our second descent we flew through the smoke, which was wobbly and a touch frightening. Eventually landed without blowing up, though.

BlodwynPig

Really helping my chronic and escalating fear of flying you bastards. I'm demanding Ambient Sheep accompanies me if i ever fly again

weekender

To be fair, all of these videos are testament to the fact that most pilots in planes are fucking skilled and magnificent at what they do.

I'm still never going near a helicopter.

Well, I might go near one if it was on the ground and not spinning I suppose.

weekender

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 16, 2020, 08:45:29 PMI'm demanding Ambient Sheep accompanies me if i ever fly again

Are you sure that's wise, sir?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: weekender on February 16, 2020, 08:59:03 PM
Are you sure that's wise, sir?

If we go down...WE BOTH GO DOWN...chortling

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Danger Man on February 15, 2020, 09:18:12 PM
Storm Penis more like.

SMBH's flaccid penis.

I've just checked and my penis would be honoured to be named after a storm.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 16, 2020, 04:49:50 PM
Wait, what, you've been over here and didn't let us know?  Harrumph!

You took the words right out of my penis mouth.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 16, 2020, 07:35:55 PM
More storm Dennis landings at Heathrow, for comparison:

are A380 and A388 different models of plane?

Probably several sub-models of A380 with different optimized capabilities (range, engines, pax capacity, etc)  and nerds use A38x because of trainspotting or whatever. Your ticket always says A380, I reckon.

Jittlebags

Lotsa landslides. Up North Wales, where I am, I've noticed random bits of hillside peeling away from various hillsides for the last 10 years or so.

PlanktonSideburns

made it all too steep up there - could do with a few landslides, level the place out a bit. maybe we can get some fucking trains up there then

just off up to aberystwyth on the train

wont you miss your wife and children?

steep hill cunts

buzby

Are A380 and A388 different models of plane?
No. There was only one model of the A380 family produced before the production line was closed due to lack of demand, the A380-800. There are specification differences between each customer airline regarding engine power and interior fit etc., but they are all the same major variant.

The 'A388' is the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) reporting code for an A380-800. Similarly a Boeing 737-900 translates to B739. The ICAO codes are used in scheduling, route reporting and air traffic control to identify the type of aircraft. They are used for instance by ATC to determine the distance to leave for the next aircraft to take off or land due to wake turbulence, and by ground controllers to determine which gates at a airport terminal can be assigned to a particular aircraft type due to clearance issues.

derek stitt

Monmouth and Gloucester are cut off from the rest of humanity because of the flooding, cunts who live there won't even notice.

Birdie

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 16, 2020, 04:49:50 PM
Wait, what, you've been over here and didn't let us know?  Harrumph!

It was a bit short notice - there for a funeral. Back in NZ now. Dennis couldn't stop me.

Ambient Sheep

Sorry to hear that.  Hugs if you want them.  Glad you got home safely.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 18, 2020, 08:59:07 AM
Glad you got home safely.

Christ... can you calm down on the flight heebee jeebies

Ambient Sheep

ffs it was a general bit of well-wishing.  I'm not trying to scare anybody.  There was never any doubt in my mind that she wouldn't have got there, it was just a figure of speech.

I'm sorry that flying scares you so much but this is getting silly now.

Sebastian Cobb

I can properly hear wind coming through the seals in my windows. Would it help if I attempted to clean them?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 18, 2020, 11:05:45 AM
ffs it was a general bit of well-wishing.  I'm not trying to scare anybody.  There was never any doubt in my mind that she wouldn't have got there, it was just a figure of speech.

I'm sorry that flying scares you so much but this is getting silly now.

silly? well, you can call me all the names under the sun if you accompany me to New Orleans in October

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 18, 2020, 11:08:38 AM
I can properly hear wind coming through the seals in my windows. Would it help if I attempted to clean them?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: buzby on February 17, 2020, 03:34:11 PM
No. There was only one model of the A380 family produced before the production line was closed due to lack of demand, the A380-800. There are specification differences between each customer airline regarding engine power and interior fit etc., but they are all the same major variant.

The 'A388' is the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) reporting code for an A380-800. Similarly a Boeing 737-900 translates to B739. The ICAO codes are used in scheduling, route reporting and air traffic control to identify the type of aircraft. They are used for instance by ATC to determine the distance to leave for the next aircraft to take off or land due to wake turbulence, and by ground controllers to determine which gates at a airport terminal can be assigned to a particular aircraft type due to clearance issues.

Haha!

*Does a little jig*

I knew[nb]Knew, as in was just totally guessing and making unwarranted connections between things[/nb] it! So that could have been the same plane in both videos but from a different angle.

More storm Dennis landings at Heathrow, for comparison:

Winter Storm Dennis - Turbulent Crosswinds and Go-arounds | Storm 2020 London Heathrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1673PTAEfY

Could the landing at 7m57s be the same one as in the original video, or are A380 and A388 different models of plane?

Etihad Airways A380 crosswind landing at Heathrow Airport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeVEbYHmTcM

If it is, it looks far less dramatic in the first video.

Pranet

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 17, 2020, 01:33:04 AM
Lotsa landslides. Up North Wales, where I am, I've noticed random bits of hillside peeling away from various hillsides for the last 10 years or so.

It feels like some days that soon Britain will crumble into the sea like a sandcastle.

buzby

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 18, 2020, 10:59:49 PM
Haha!

*Does a little jig*

I knew[nb]Knew, as in was just totally guessing and making unwarranted connections between things[/nb] it! So that could have been the same plane in both videos but from a different angle.

If it is, it looks far less dramatic in the first video.
I don't think they are the same landing - the 'less dramatic' one is Flight EY25 from Abu Dhabi which has a scheduled arrival time of 1450. The more dramatic one looks like it was the earlier flight EY19 from Abu Dhabi, which has a scheduled arrival time of 1200 (the visibility is a lot worse in the EY25 landing). It was originally filmed by Speedbird TV and posted on his Facebook page, where in the comments he confirms it was the earlier EY19 flight (which landed about 1130).

The main difference between the two is that in the the EY25 landing the pilot uses the correct technique of a sharp application of opposite rudder in the flare to straighten it up and reduce the crab angle on touchdown.
From the A380 Pilot's Notes:
FINAL APPROACH

In crosswind conditions, the flight crew should fly a "crabbed" final approach wings level, with the aircraft (cockpit) positioned on the extended runway centerline until the flare.

FLARE
The objectives of the lateral and directional control of the aircraft during the flare are:
• To land on the centerline
• To minimize the loads on the main landing gear.

The recommended de-crab technique is to use the following:
• The rudder to align the aircraft with the runway heading during the flare
• The roll control, if needed, to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline.
The flight crew should counteract any tendency to drift downwind by an appropriate lateral(roll) input on the sidestick.

In the case of strong crosswind during the de-crab phase, the PF (Pilot Flying) should be prepared to add small bank angle into the wind to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline. The flight crew can land the aircraft with a partial de-crab (i.e. a residual crab angle up to about 5 deg) to prevent an excessive bank. This technique prevents wing tip or engine nacelle strike caused by an excessive bank angle. Therefore it is wise to know what the maximum bank angle is during the flare phase for the type you are flying so as to ensure no such strikes. As a consequence, this can result in touching down with some bank angle into the wind, therefore, with the upwind landing gear first.
In the EY19 clip it looks like the pilot gets caught out by a large gust and ends up applying rudder in the wrong direction (with the wind, rather than opposing it) just before the flare, increasing the crab angle and it touches down fully crabbed. That will have put a large sideloading into the undercarriage, which is best avoided. If it was being observed he may have been invited in for a chat with the airline's Training Captain when they got to the terminal. Despite that, as the old saying goes anything you can walk away from is a successful landing!

BlodwynPig

I see you will be joining myself and Ambi on our little trip to New Orleans in the autumn Buzzers!

buttgammon

Quote from: Pranet on February 18, 2020, 11:27:20 PM
It feels like some days that soon Britain will crumble into the sea like a sandcastle.

Here's hoping!

PlanktonSideburns

These fucking gustycunts abating soon?

PlanktonSideburns

pancreas

It is very bad for street food vendors. Even if they can set up safely, all the wooden forks blow away.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on February 23, 2020, 12:54:18 PM
It is very bad for street food vendors. Even if they can set up safely, all the wooden forks blow away.

Good

Rancid trend in uk. Fine elsewhere, but not in beige mulchland

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: buzby on February 19, 2020, 08:53:06 AM
I don't think they are the same landing - the 'less dramatic' one is Flight EY25 from Abu Dhabi which has a scheduled arrival time of 1450. The more dramatic one looks like it was the earlier flight EY19 from Abu Dhabi, which has a scheduled arrival time of 1200 (the visibility is a lot worse in the EY25 landing). It was originally filmed by Speedbird TV and posted on his Facebook page, where in the comments he confirms it was the earlier EY19 flight (which landed about 1130).

The main difference between the two is that in the the EY25 landing the pilot uses the correct technique of a sharp application of opposite rudder in the flare to straighten it up and reduce the crab angle on touchdown.
From the A380 Pilot's Notes:In the EY19 clip it looks like the pilot gets caught out by a large gust and ends up applying rudder in the wrong direction (with the wind, rather than opposing it) just before the flare, increasing the crab angle and it touches down fully crabbed. That will have put a large sideloading into the undercarriage, which is best avoided. If it was being observed he may have been invited in for a chat with the airline's Training Captain when they got to the terminal. Despite that, as the old saying goes anything you can walk away from is a successful landing!

Thanks for that, Buzby. Interesting, as always.