Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is point “hall pass”?

Started by touchingcloth, February 14, 2020, 08:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Is this a real thing in American schools? It would seem like the fair assumption to make for a student wandering the corridors has been let out of class by a teacher, as the Bad Lads would just fuck the whole premises off and go for a smoke down the truancy centre.

What is point?

Dr Syntax Head

Also giving consent for your romantic life partner to engage in Congress with another in your absence. What is point?

Dewt

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2020, 08:32:41 PM
Is this a real thing in American schools? It would seem like the fair assumption to make for a student wandering the corridors has been let out of class by a teacher, as the Bad Lads would just fuck the whole premises off and go for a smoke down the truancy centre.

What is point?
Put it into this context: American schools often have security checks at the entrances and cops controlling kids.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 08:55:57 PM
Put it into this context: American schools often have security checks at the entrances and cops controlling kids.

Based on popular culture I would say that hall passes predate Columbine.

NoSleep

"Show me your hall pass."

"BANG!"

"That'll do nicely."

Thursday

Also why are "Hall Monitors" a thing? Shouldn't they be in class?

Dewt

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 14, 2020, 08:59:48 PM
Based on popular culture I would say that hall passes predate Columbine.
Yes, but hall passes and security exist for the same reason: the school/teachers get sued to fuck-hell and back if something happens to children there.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Those jackets the jocks wear with letters on them.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 09:07:54 PM
Yes, but hall passes and security exist for the same reason: the school/teachers get sued to fuck-hell and back if something happens to children there.

Surely then a hall pass just makes you all the more culpable if something happens to a kid outside of the classroom?

Dewt

I am not a school lawyer, but I can also see how it doesn't and I think you'll agree that there are valid arguments on both sides of that and ultimately it was driven by the culture and allure of being able to just control the shit out of students.

Sebastian Cobb

Just tell them you've got an Oates pass then run off while they're computing it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 14, 2020, 09:54:25 PM
Just tell them you've got an Oates pass...

...so you're going outside and may be some time?

Shit Good Nose

Many years ago I worked with a tiny mouse of a lady who was a teacher in the Bronx when things there were REALLY bad (tail-end of the 60s, throughout the 70s and into the early 80s) before having a complete change of scene and moving to Bath to work for the local council.  Anyway, the school she worked in was one of the first in America to get an airport security-like metal detector gate and security (and this was long before school massacres were a thing, let alone a regular occurrence) as it was what the more...civilised Western world would stereotypically have down as the sort of dodgy American school you'd see in films, but MUCH worse.  Hall passes in that school were one of the security guards taking you to the toilet, or seeing the head, or going to the nurse or whatever and then standing outside and telling you every minute or so to hurry up, making sure you weren't doing drugs or retrieving a weapon that was somehow smuggled in and stowed away somewhere earlier.

She left teaching altogether because of the number of kids who passed through that school ending up dead or in prison.  She never had a Stand and Deliver like moment where her whole class beat the odds, but did have several students who worked hard, did well and managed to get out and make something of themselves.  I seem to remember her telling me that those few successes, whilst heart warming taken in isolation, were never worth the amount of bad shit she experienced in her time as a teacher.  Which isn't something you normally hear from a teacher.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 14, 2020, 09:24:00 PM

Yeah, all that fraternity stuff with the Greek letters.  Is that compulsory?  When I wasn't in school I wanted to forget about school and do my own thing.  What if you weren't living on campus in their special Delta Tau Kai accomodation?  (EDIT: I remembered the correct term: Frat House.)  If you were living someplace else off campus would you be able to bypass all that stuff or would you be seen as some sort of weirdo or outsider?

easytarget

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 14, 2020, 08:50:16 PM
Also giving consent for your romantic life partner to engage in Congress with another in your absence. What is point?
I was under the naive impression that 'hall pass' meant 'the wife has let me go out for a few cheeky beers with the cheeky laaaaads, eh? eh! on a school night. sorted.'. I didn't realize that after the lads/beers they were off to get some strange.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All US cultural cues suggest the bullying happens in the hall by the lockers.

WHERE IS THE HALL MONITOR THEN

SITTING ON HIS FAT SNAIL ARSE IN HIS PRIVILEGE CAGE

FUCK OFF

kittens

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 14, 2020, 09:24:00 PM

they call this a 'letter man jacket'. because there is a letter on the man's jacket. absolutely pathetic country

idunnosomename

how come americans get their own fucking locker and we just get a peg if we're lucky

Icehaven

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 15, 2020, 09:07:42 AM
how come americans get their own fucking locker and we just get a peg if we're lucky

Does seem a bit silly, considering the school massacre thing, that they give everyone their own private place to hide a few guns.

Cuellar

I think we had lockers, but they were only in one of the newer buildings so once we moved up a year into a different form room we didn't have access to them. I don't think anyone really used them. Maybe chuck the lab coat in there.

Bye.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 15, 2020, 09:07:42 AM

I had a locker, although you had to provide your own lock.  Rather than a padlock like most people mine was one of those with a rotating jobbie like on a safe.  At this point I'd like to say something interesting, such as due to muscle memory I can still remember the combination, but I can't.

idunnosomename

how come americans just run out of class when the bell goes, but we get told off "THE BELL IS A SIGNAL FOR ME, NOT FOR YOU" if we so much as zip up our pencil case

Dex Sawash

When I was a child there were wolves in Wales at North Iredell High School 1979-1983, hall passes were in use. Teacher had to fill out a little quarter sheet of letter size paper with student name, teacher name, time period valid and reason (toilet, office, liberry, etc)
This was to be presented to authority on demand. Largely ignored due to pain in the ass-ness of the whole thing. Most teachers had chunk of lumber with TEACHERNAME HALL PASS written on it that you took to the toilet. Nobody at NIHS was clever enough to call this the shitty stick, I've only just now thought of it.

hamfist

We had lockers but we stoved them all in and sometimes locked Jonny Ingham in one

Dewt

My school had lockers and a slushy machine and lots of American army brats, it was basically America

Replies From View

Quote from: Thursday on February 14, 2020, 09:04:53 PM
Also why are "Hall Monitors" a thing? Shouldn't they be in class?

No you are thinking of "Milk Monitors".

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 14, 2020, 09:54:25 PM
Just tell them you've got an Oates pass then run off while they're computing it.

Not a Dyatlov one though just in case you get crushed whilst running.

Quote from: NoSleep on February 14, 2020, 10:28:50 PM
...so you're going outside and may be some time?

Somebody should conflate Captain Oates and the Dyatlov Pass incident into a single ladybird book, I reckon.

And milk monitors.  Oate Milk or something.

It's got legs.

Dewt

I think a reason hall passes work in the US is that most American children are very respectful. It would not even occur to them to say "fuck off pedo" to a teacher asking where they were going, which is pretty much the default in the UK.

Sebastian Cobb

If we wanted to get out at lunchtimes and walking out the front had failed, we used to send someone to try and walk out the side gates the dinner ladies were guarding to distract them while the rest of us jumped the fence by the history block behind their backs.

Dewt

The best thing you could teach a child is not to be imprisoned by anybody who made such bad decisions that they ended up working in a secondary school.