Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,456
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Stranger (Netflix Harlen Coben)

Started by kalowski, February 15, 2020, 09:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: oy vey on February 19, 2020, 11:39:43 PM
After 9 posts I'm still hooked. The Netflix series is a piece of shit, but keep this thread going.
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Quote from: mrfridge on February 19, 2020, 08:19:10 PM
Am I right in thinking absolutely fuck all of the kids' storyline had any bearing on the main narrative arc? Like they could have all been edited out and it would make no difference whatsoever to the final outcome?

I'm genuinely angry at having wasted six hours of my life on this. Mother fuckers.

Most of it was linked to Katz's daughter in the end, which I suppose helped him discover what his wife was up to and built to the spiral of madness.

Neville Chamberlain

I found myself watching all of this, against my better judgement. Enjoyably bonkers stuff. Paul Kaye made a great villain, I thought.

But if you're going to have a plot line about an alpaca murdered and beheaded by a posh kid on drugs, surely you have to at least make sure it actually goes somewhere otherwise people might be forgiven for thinking that the screenwriters have properly lost their fucking minds.

oy vey

Quote from: kalowski on February 20, 2020, 07:40:54 AM
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

We have high expectations for season (page) 2.

flotemysost

Quote from: kalowski on February 16, 2020, 03:40:20 PM
I said to my wife that this was just as ridiculous and badly made as the show I watched last year set in a gated community. Which I've just looked up. It was called Safe.

Put this on this evening because it would appear I no longer value life. I'm barely ten minutes in and fuck me, it's bad. The Stranger was sort of enjoyable in a schlocky, Desperate Housewives-at-its-lowest-ebb type way. But this is just... bad.

Even the theme song (Glitter and Gold by Barns Courtney, a track I couldn't stand when I first heard it in 2015, and posted in the Worst song you've ever heard Oscillations thread), smacks of forced authenticity and godawful writing, setting the tone I suppose.

A man just had a go at his French wife for saying his name in her (admittedly shit) French accent. Has he only just noticed her nationality, how long have they been married? Then their son replied to a statement by saying 'Meaning?'.

On the plus side, someone has just said 'DOWN IT YOU FUCKING CUNT' (just over ten minutes in, that).

holyzombiejesus

Icehaven

I've had two people recommend this to me in the last few weeks, and genuinely too, not for ironic, so-bad-it's-funny-reasons. This thread has made me want to watch it more than either of them.

Thomas

Quote from: icehaven on February 21, 2020, 02:17:00 PM
I've had two people recommend this to me in the last few weeks, and genuinely too, not for ironic, so-bad-it's-funny-reasons. This thread has made me want to watch it more than either of them.

Same here. Friends have been dazzled by it, and recommend it ceaselessly. But only now am I really interested in watching it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Caved and crashed through it in one evening. It was pretty bad in places but I've seen a lot worse.

One thing that bugged me apart from the pretty ludicrous ending was the shift in tone when it was following the kids. Not just the wheyyyyy drugs and big faces, the way it would spend 2-3 minutes being a teen comedy drama with the overacting big lad then get back to the ever-so-serious story.

I know why they're linked but it was like they'd borrowed scenes from another programme, which would explain why one of the kids seemed to be happy acting the sleuth for a week instead of breaking down multiple times at the fact his mum's vanished.

9.9/10

Jerzy Bondov

Started Safe now and it's even funnier. Anyway I'm off to stub out a cigarette on someone's grave, see you later.

Dannyhood91

This is just Brookside for posh cunts 

Dr Syntax Head

The whole thing is bullshit but it's hilarious actually. That theme song in the intro is the worst thing I have ever heard ever.

Dr Syntax Head

What is with all the luxury cars? This whole show is basically a car ad