Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Madoka Magica

Started by Dewt, February 16, 2020, 01:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Jesus fucking christ for fuck's sake why did you do this to me you horrible, beautiful cartoon

Sin Agog

Series is a metaphor for starting a CAB account.

Ah, look at the nice, puffy-cheeked girls in frills.  Ah, look at them wilt under the thrall of an inevitable death.

Kind of wish more things were done in the pop art/impressionistic animation style of those witch battles.  Yuasa sometimes came close with things like Mind Game and Kemonozume, but mostly the industry ditched it.

Consignia

What part of it? Surely not the currently airing shitty mobile game adaptation,  Magia Record?

I've got a lot to say about the original series, though. I love it, and have been planning for a while writing an essay on it's influences and what it has influenced. It's probably one of the best existential horrors in a cute cartoon wrapper.

Dewt

Original series, especially the final three episodes. Destroyed me.

Sub necessary to hear Madoka's gentle, caring little voice.

People usually say that this is devastating because of the trials the girls go through, but it's the (non-romantic) love aspect of it that got me.

I would describe thiis as a beautiful thing more than a dark thing.

The intro is absolute genius.

brat-sampson

The music is unbelievable too. Now go watch the movie.

EDIT: Movies The first two go back through the series plot again, the 3rd is all new stuff, and a continuation of the show.

Dewt

I was wondering whether it was worth watching the first two movies. Is a lot of it different?

Consignia

No, the first two movies are basically the TV episodes stitched together. I think the might be some nipping and tucking, and a new scene at the end/begining. Otherwise it's quite the same. It's not even framed differently, as many of these recap movies are.

Dewt

I began watching the third movie (I will do it in one sitting later) and thought I was accidentally watching a recap one, since it begins so similarly. But witches were
Spoiler alert
nightmares and Homura was the pigtails one and was friends with everyone, so it's gotta be a an alternate timeline or summat. I'll find out!
[close]

Consignia

For what it's worth, a lot of people don't like Rebellion (i.e. the 3rd movie) as a conclusion to the series. I'm not a huge fan of how the original series ended despite loving it up until the finale, and I think Rebellion is a better conclusion. Albeit not perfect.

Ooihhhh I'll have a look at this; at the age of 34 I've decided it's high time for me to become obsessed with anime and manga. I am simultaneously reading Berserk and watching Deathnote, with one piece and evangelion also on my hard drive. This sounds intriguing. Any other lesser known anime please throw my way

Watched the flowers of evil all the way through after a few lines of ketamine and really enjoyed that, so anything along those lines

What's the difference between Puella and Mahou Shoujo?

C_Larence

Quote from: Misspent Boners on February 16, 2020, 10:02:47 PM
Ooihhhh I'll have a look at this; at the age of 34 I've decided it's high time for me to become obsessed with anime and manga. I am simultaneously reading Berserk and watching Deathnote, with one piece and evangelion also on my hard drive. This sounds intriguing. Any other lesser known anime please throw my way

Watched the flowers of evil all the way through after a few lines of ketamine and really enjoyed that, so anything along those lines

I'd recommend getting Evangelion out the way once you've finished with Death Note. If you watch everything it inspired first then it won't seem as good.

Consignia

Quote from: Misspent Boners on February 16, 2020, 10:05:20 PM
What's the difference between Puella and Mahou Shoujo?

Spanish (Puella Magi), I guess, and Japanese. Both meaning Magical Girl. Not sure exactly why Puella Magi was chosen as the international title, but I suppose it gives it some flava. The Japanese title has always used the Japanese words. Anyway it's the same thing basically. I think there's a supposed to be a star ☆ between (Mahou Shoujo) and (Madoka Magica).

chveik

Quote from: Misspent Boners on February 16, 2020, 10:02:47 PM

finished that last night, I wasn't very impressed. I should've taken some ketamine.

chveik

I wish I could enjoy anime more, there's always something about the pace thats put me off.

letsgobrian

Quote from: chveik on February 17, 2020, 12:24:06 AM
I wish I could enjoy anime more, there's always something about the pace thats put me off.

Not enjoying Flowers of Evil is the most common response to that show. It was a commercial disaster, pleasing only people with a high tolerance for rotoscoping. (Can't even say cheap rotoscoping, as reportedly it was more expensive to produce than normal animation).

letsgobrian

I have nothing exciting to say about Madoka Magica, except thankfully there are a lot less uninformed takes about Magical Girl shows off the back of it's spin-off show.

Spiteface

Madoka Magica is Gen Urobuchi, right?

He did one of my favourite Kamen Rider shows, Kamen Rider Gaim:

Great bunch of lads. I gather Madoka Magica is largely pain & suffering much like Gaim ended up being.
Thunderbolt Fantasy was him, too. Really need to watch season 2 of that one:

Consignia

Quote from: Spiteface on February 17, 2020, 05:08:25 PM
I gather Madoka Magica is largely pain & suffering much like Gaim ended up being.

That's a common misreading of the series, and one its imitators try to double down on. It's nowhere near as sadistic as it's reputation, and it's more of a Lovecraft fear of a universe that doesn't care about you and you are treated like fuel.

Anyway, the series not just Urobuchi, it's a complete collaboration of many players to create something brilliant.

Dewt

It's about hope and love.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Dewt on February 17, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
It's about hope and love.

It's about how much Urobuchi loved Kamen Rider Ryuki and hoped no one would mind if he borrowed its plot structure.

madhair60

How much of this is there now? I watched the initial anime ages ago, not sure I'm up for another round. I'd just watch Hidamari Sketch again, where the worst thing that happens is Yuno is late handing in some homework, but Yoshinoya-sempai accepts it anyway.

Catalogue Trousers

Stanley Baxter was brilliant as the wizard and I loved his funny hairstyle.

Consignia

Quote from: madhair60 on February 18, 2020, 09:03:37 AM
How much of this is there now? I watched the initial anime ages ago, not sure I'm up for another round. I'd just watch Hidamari Sketch again, where the worst thing that happens is Yuno is late handing in some homework, but Yoshinoya-sempai accepts it anyway.

Madoka? 1 main series, 1 sequal movie and the a spin off based off a mobile game, which is currently airing (and nothing like the source series)

Hidamari sketch? 4 TV series and a load of straight video episodes

madhair60

Ah, cheers, I was wondering how much Madoka had been made since I sort of drifted away from keeping up with anime. Hidamari I kept an eye on, though I didn't really like the drift towards clichéd fanservice in xHoneycomb, those characters are better than that.

I miss Pedro's anime threads.

Spiteface

Quote from: letsgobrian on February 17, 2020, 09:55:49 PM
It's about how much Urobuchi loved Kamen Rider Ryuki and hoped no one would mind if he borrowed its plot structure.

Kinda like his approach when he actually got to write Kamen Rider, then.

I fell off Anime since the late 90s, and only really started dabbling again recently. Basically since some tokusatsu shows I liked started getting animated adaptations (SSSS.GRIDMAN, Garo, and the recent Netflix Ultraman series). Have been curious about Madoka Magica, also due to it being connected to my toku appreciation.

Enjoying this so far; the level of apprehension I'm feeling though due to knowing something not very nice is going to.happen to these poor girls is something chronic 😄

Also will just add that the animation whenever they're entering these labyrinth things is absolutely stunning!

Dewt

Yeah, I love that style so much. And the music that goes along with it.