Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Caribou / Daphni / some general Dan Snaith appreciation shit

Started by alan nagsworth, February 16, 2020, 01:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnapple

It's alright, I still love the recent Daphni edits and he is a really lovely bloke (honestly, I've met him a few times, he really is.)

In terms of recent electronic records that have blown my mind, try the recent Beatrice Dillon or 'Snoopy' by CS & Kreme. Looking forward to the new one from former Carbiou tour support Jessy Lanza, too.

popcorn

Yeah I've been a bit disappointed by this too. I've listened to it a few times but I find it weirdly bland. A lot of sounds and tricks that feel a bit old hat at this point, and some of it sounds strangely... basic?

alan nagsworth

Given this a few spins now and I'm really quite taken by it. In fact I think it's bloody wonderful. I can understand a degree of where the naysayers are coming from because there's less in the way of wall-to-wall bangers but this album feels like Caribou's most considered, artful work to date. I slagged off "Random Access Memories" when it was released for the same reasons but over time I eventually came to realise what a remarkable work it is.

"Suddenly" is awash with so many nuances that are highly rewarding on repeat listens, if it's playing on a decent enough system and it's being properly absorbed. Tracks like "Ravi" and "Never Come Back" are instantly dazzling floor-fillers but elsewhere in its quieter moments this album really blossoms and flourishes in a more subtle and intimate way. If you're still doubting it at the moment, I'd recommend taking an hour out of your evening with no other distractions and letting this wash over you. It is beautiful in a way that practically none of his peers can match and he really is on top form once again. I absolutely cannot wait time hear this stuff played live.

Head Gardener

new blue album arrived today, i have been playing to his stuff out since the Give'r EP and he has just got better & better over the years

dex

Cheers to the OP. I got the new Caribou LP on vinyl yesterday (not on blue wax though) and its cracking. Not too long and like others have said there are plenty of nuances that you appreciate the more you listen to it.

My Mrs pointed out that it sounds like it could have been made 20 years ago, fair point but if its good then its good, innit?

alan nagsworth

If it coulda been made 20 years ago then that would surely make it an instant classic? Snaith deffo wears his heart on his sleeve in more than just an obvious emotional "rhyming LOVE with ABOVE" way. His music is a huge homage to the simplicity of classic dance music, to name but one of the styles he employs on this and his other records. I'd say that's a huge testament to his skill as an artist. People like Four Tet and Jamie xx are pretty good at that sort of thing but they're not a patch on him.

alan nagsworth

Lad's gone and cancelled all future tour dates across the next couple of months due to Coronavirus concerns. I was a little dismayed, not because of what is obviously a very sensible decision, but just for selfish personal reasons which of course quickly dissipated. It's the right thing to do, and Caribou is worth the way. Still a small few people on instagram commenting "fucks sake" about it, clowns.

Emma Raducanu

Currently listening to Suddenly on a loop and plan to keep it that way as we bring in the new year.

I started listening to Caribou at a very exciting and turbulant time in my life and the album Swim will forever bring back strong emotional feelings.

Currently loving Like I loved you.

The Mollusk

Bouncing up and down and hugging two beloved friends at Brixton Academy while Snaith & The Gang played "Never Come Back" was one of my top highlights of 2021. Wept with joy.