Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:07:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FOOD THREAD.

Started by Dex Sawash, February 17, 2020, 06:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on February 26, 2020, 02:06:32 PM
I don't believe for a second that there's an app that would give an unbiased opinion on the ethics of your food purchases

I did actually read some online reviews, on websites because apps that do websites jobs are pointless, and it came out OK. It's almost as if I trust people I know over websites and both were wrong.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 11:38:13 AM
Saute function only runs for 3 minutes so you have to keep pressing it if want longer.

That's one of the most fucking annoying things in the world. It's a great bit of kit generally, but seriously, what is point 3 minute saute?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 01:01:52 PM
No joke one of the recipes in the pressure king book was bangers and mash. 10 minutes of browning sausage then you chuck them in on top of potatoes and milk covered in foil for however long. What is point?

Yeah some of the recipes seem pointless. The sausage casserole one is mint though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 26, 2020, 10:12:08 PM
That's one of the most fucking annoying things in the world. It's a great bit of kit generally, but seriously, what is point 3 minute saute?

Yeah some of the recipes seem pointless. The sausage casserole one is mint though.

I like how the last one is hot chocolate that just involves using the thing in exactly the same way as a as a pan on a hob.
'come on Dave everyone's already in the pub'.

Dewt

Pressure King sounds like something that has been hampered by regulations so they had to reduce the pressure, put a safety timeout on the saute, etc. etc.

It's convinced me that Brexit is good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on February 26, 2020, 10:24:26 PM
Pressure King sounds like something that has been hampered by regulations so they had to reduce the pressure, put a safety timeout on the saute, etc. etc.

It's convinced me that Brexit is good.

It's made by 'drew and cole' which is the most American name possible.

Europeans know how to name kitchen goods what with their Magimix's and Moulinex's and Kenwoods and that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotedrew and cole

This is just ex Premier league football player Andrew Cole on a wind up mission.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2020, 10:32:43 PM
It's made by 'drew and cole' which is the most American name possible.

Europeans know how to name kitchen goods what with their Magimix's and Moulinex's and Kenwoods and that.

"Drew and Cole" sounds British no? And "magimix" is as '50s American convenience a name as you can get.

Would you like to hear a bad joke about kitchen goods? (As lifted from bob mortimer)

Man in shop: will you sell me a new blender?
Shop man: hmmm... kenwood?
Man in shop: oh right who's he then?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sebastian Cobb

That's where you're wrong, Magimix am French.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 27, 2020, 12:07:44 AM
That's where you're wrong, Magimix am French.

Don't try and get out of acknowledging my pilfered joke.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 22, 2020, 04:56:12 PM
This was chicken, but I do have an alright lamb doner recipe I've done in my slow cooker before:

500g Lamb Mince
1.5 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne
1.5 tsp cumin powder
1 teaspoon pul biber (or 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes if no pul biber)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 red onion, grated or tsp onion powder
4 cloves of garlic, grated or tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (to taste)

Knead and shape into a loaf - 4+ hours on high or 6+ hours on low. I think that's 25 min in an instant pot with 2 cups of water in the bottom, with the loaf on the stand. I basically nicked the instant pot one and removed the breadcrumbs as it looked better than the slow cooker one (which I've done before and is ok, but this one featured chilli flakes and onion and seemed better).

Made this today, piece of piss, very tasty,  will tweak the recipe but its a winner, cheers!

MojoJojo

Ah yes, I've made that donner (party) kebab recipe a few times. It's good, but isn't quite the same as the kebab shop. Never found pul biber anywhere, but don't think that's the whole difference.

holyzombiejesus

If you were going to make a vegetarian pie, what would you use? Thinking mushrooms, lentils, shallots and wine, maybe chestnuts?

bgmnts

Lentils are a good vegan mince substitute if you can get the texture right, cant go wrong with mushrooms.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 29, 2020, 12:26:11 AM
If you were going to make a vegetarian pie, what would you use? Thinking mushrooms, lentils, shallots and wine, maybe chestnuts?

Made these for my lunches recently, worked out alright:
https://thebackyardlemontree.com/2014/09/02/indian-spiced-vegetable-pasties/

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 29, 2020, 12:18:37 AM
Ah yes, I've made that donner (party) kebab recipe a few times. It's good, but isn't quite the same as the kebab shop. Never found pul biber anywhere, but don't think that's the whole difference.

I reckon a lot of it might be to do with the sauces rather than the meat, or at least you're less likely to notice.

I made this iskendar which contains a chilli sauce recipe that could be lifted for doner quite well:
https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2015/12/home-style-iskender-kebab-in-tomato-sauce-pita-bread-and-yoghurt/

chveik

leek is good for pies

Gurke and Hare

If you were going to make a vegetarian pie, what would you use?

Cheese and onion.

Dex Sawash

One of my favorite dishes, american savory biscuits on top. Normal crust ok too.

https://www.fostersmarket.com/vegetable-pot-pie-with-fosters-herb-biscuits

pancreas

Ottolenghi mushroom pithivier. In Plenty More.

Dewt

Yeah, Moulinex Packard-Bell chipolatas. Dinty Moore.

We can all say stuff, pancreas.

Sebastian Cobb

Made a Biryani in my new Instant Pot, came out with perfectly formed ghee covered rice. YES I.

It's better built than the Pressure King. Speaking in recognised engineering terms, it's just more 'tonk'.

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 02, 2020, 07:55:44 PM
Made a Biryani in my new Instant Pot, came out with perfectly formed ghee covered rice. YES I.

It's better built than the Pressure King. Speaking in recognised engineering terms, it's just more 'tonk'.
Wait

So they actually sell the Instant Pot in the UK but you bought a Pressure King to begin with anyway?

I'm very angry with you.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on March 02, 2020, 08:42:53 PM
Wait

So they actually sell the Instant Pot in the UK but you bought a Pressure King to begin with anyway?

I'm very angry with you.

Yes. Got it on amazon.

The PKP came with a good reputation and is sold in places like John Lewis, I thought that was good enough. I was wrong. Let's move past it.

Dewt

I don't feel like you've been suitably reprimanded.

Gurke and Hare

PKP is obviously a bit shonky, but when I got mine it was almost impossible to get hold of an Instant Pot in the UK. Amazon used to get them in stock for about 5 minutes every 2 months. Wouldn't bother upgrading until the PKP stops working, but will try and get an Instant Pot next.

Emma Raducanu

Just use a pan instead.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 02, 2020, 08:59:21 PM
PKP is obviously a bit shonky, but when I got mine it was almost impossible to get hold of an Instant Pot in the UK. Amazon used to get them in stock for about 5 minutes every 2 months. Wouldn't bother upgrading until the PKP stops working, but will try and get an Instant Pot next.

I'm sure I would've been fine with it if it worked properly tbh.

I'm glad I used camscanner on the recipe book before I sent it back as the Instant Pot doesn't come with one of those and the Chinese ribs looked pretty tasty.

Dex Sawash

Did the NYT spiced chickpea stew last night. Next time will do a few chiles or a jalapeno with the onion and add a handful of mushrooms or tofu cubes. 2 cans of coconut milk is a lot.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019772-spiced-chickpea-stew-with-coconut-and-turmeric?action=click&module=Collection%20Page%20Recipe%20Card&region=24%20Recipes%20for%20Everyone%20Who%20Hates%20Doing%20the%20Dishes&pgType=collection&rank=4

pancreas

Pancreas's make-shift pizzas
They're easy to make
Just add cheese and bake.

[It is a song.]

Trying to calibrate how to proceed food-wise once I'm on the run later in the year and the various non-proprietary Spam-alikes are really doing it for me. I think half a tin in the morning and half at about 3 should keep me alive for six months before killing me overnight. A carrot here and there, a few bits of abandoned stuff when using various Wetherspoons for the loo. The buds of my vengeance will then be visible and I can let go.