Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FOOD THREAD.

Started by Dex Sawash, February 17, 2020, 06:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

The equipment required for plenty of dishes that don't take much time is a pot and a knife.

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 18, 2020, 12:34:09 PM
Ooh. Might have to have a go at that.
Me too, though as a non-chocolate eater, where do you source
Quote30g dark chocolate (at least 70% solids)
?
Is it an 'ingredient' or filed with the ... erm... eating chocolate?

kngen

I made a chilli a couple of weeks ago that I think has done some permanent damage. I was probably a bit too liberal with the peppers (Carolina Reapers and Chocolate Ghosts from my wee garden), and it was definitely straddling the inedibly spicy barrier, but now anytime I eat something even a tiny bit on the spicy side, my stomach goes haywire. I've still got the rest in the freezer though. I am loath to throw it out, as it was fucking addictive.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sick as a pike on February 18, 2020, 05:33:39 PM
Me too, though as a non-chocolate eater, where do you source?
Is it an 'ingredient' or filed with the ... erm... eating chocolate?

We just used a good quality supermarket chocolate from the confectionery aisle, the ones with higher pretensions usually have the cocoa % in big writing on the front of the packet.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

How much chocolate do you put in? Might try this.

alan nagsworth

Bog standard cocoa powder works well in a chilli if you're vegan.

alan nagsworth

I will concur also that the one thing that often stops me from wanting to cook anything from scratch is not having anyone to share it with. I am instantly a slob if my girlfriend is working away, such as tonight, where she is in Manchester and so I have chosen to eat chips and vegan sausage rolls with a big blob of Colman's mustard. We have some lovely homemade tarka daal and aloo gobi that needs eating but I thought FUCK OFF, I want brown food and I want the bridge of my nose to set on fire with each bite because I refuse to instil a mustard limit on my mouthfuls.

Love cooking ordinarily though. It's a joy.

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 18, 2020, 03:51:37 PM
Yes and if you've got the sense to make more than you need then you have a supply of ready meals over half the time.
Yep, that's where it becomes economical. And also tasty - I love my own food more than ever the day after I cook it.

Dewt

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 18, 2020, 07:51:33 PMWe have some lovely homemade tarka daal and aloo gobi that needs eating
Does it not freeze?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dewt on February 18, 2020, 07:53:15 PM
Does it not freeze?

Not individually spaced out on the carpet like that it doesn't

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on February 18, 2020, 01:37:52 AM

Used to drink one of these for lunch every day when I worked in a call centre.  Made my piss bright yellow, almost fluorescent.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dewt on February 18, 2020, 07:53:15 PM
Does it not freeze?

Oh yeah but it doesn't need freezing, I'll smash it tomorrow. When I say "needs eating" I just mean like when I open the fridge the tupperware has little eyes and a mouth singing at me like an episode of Sesame Street.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 18, 2020, 07:55:51 PM
Oh yeah but it doesn't need freezing, I'll smash it tomorrow. When I say "needs eating" I just mean like when I open the fridge the tupperware has little eyes and a mouth singing at me like an episode of Sesame Street.

That's not what that phrase is widely understood as meaning. Get a fucking grip. Sake

Dewt

alan nagsworth

Well you've got to ease people in gently sometimes haven't you? If I came in straight off the bat saying "lads my fucking dinner's talking to me and what's worse it's using its sentience to insist I consume and destroy it" how do you think that would go down?

About as well as my cooking!!

Sebastian Cobb

Pretty sure I've eaten nearly week-old daal from the fridge with no ill effects, it's just lentils innit, not much to go off.

I do often freeze it though, mostly because I'm worried about leakage when I take it in to work.

alan nagsworth

I am only joking of course. My girlfriend cooked it.

Butchers Blind

alan nagsworth

Fine, I'll admit it! The burden of being an excellent cook has driven me mental.

Ferris

Quote from: kngen on February 18, 2020, 05:58:18 PM
I made a chilli a couple of weeks ago that I think has done some permanent damage. I was probably a bit too liberal with the peppers (Carolina Reapers and Chocolate Ghosts from my wee garden), and it was definitely straddling the inedibly spicy barrier, but now anytime I eat something even a tiny bit on the spicy side, my stomach goes haywire. I've still got the rest in the freezer though. I am loath to throw it out, as it was fucking addictive.

Reapers and ghost peppers? That's fucking impressive, those are mental. Over a million scovilles I think?

I had about 2 drops of a 1 million scoville hot sauce that was ghost peppers I think and it was an eye opening experience.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 18, 2020, 08:56:40 PM
I had about 2 drops of a 1 million scoville hot sauce that was ghost peppers I think and it was an eye opening experience.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 18, 2020, 09:02:56 PM

Yeah sort of but I was crying, I couldn't drink any beer for an hour, and there was no wolf/Johnny Cash.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 18, 2020, 06:19:41 PM
How much chocolate do you put in? Might try this.

Quote30g dark chocolate (at least 70% solids), grated

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Yeah, how many blocks of chocolate roughly? I don't deal in precise measurements.

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 18, 2020, 09:24:03 PM
Yeah, how many blocks of chocolate roughly? I don't deal in precise measurements.
Yes.

checkoutgirl

I was going to start a bakery thread to ask this one question but I'll just lob it in here.

Is there a best time of the day to buy madeleines from a Paris bakery? Does it vary from bakery to bakery or is there a general time they all make their madeleines? It's quite a middle class question but I am unabashed.

Dex Sawash

Is Paul Calf's new avatar a grown up Maddie?

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 20, 2020, 12:35:23 PM
I was going to start a bakery thread to ask this one question but I'll just lob it in here.

Is there a best time of the day to buy madeleines from a Paris bakery? Does it vary from bakery to bakery or is there a general time they all make their madeleines? It's quite a middle class question but I am unabashed.

They're usually just coming out of the oven about 6am

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DolphinFace on February 20, 2020, 12:41:43 PM
They're usually just coming out of the oven about 6am

Fantastic, thanks. So you'd want to be knocking around the bakery at 6.30am of 7.00am to nab the nice stuff.

Brian Freeze

Black cardamom for yer chilli. Yes yes yes. Fuck your chocolate off for a couple of these. Especially good in a veggie one.