Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finding your Comfort Zone

Started by dr_christian_troy, February 17, 2020, 12:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

It helps me to visit a place in nature. Not a popular spot, somewhere where I'm not going to be disturbed. Sit and watch the trees move in the wind. Let the thoughts dissipate. Breathe in the air.

In terms of sleep, blackout curtains plus a large eye-mask. Even if the room is dark I need an eye-mask now, I'm accustomed to the feel of it. A shemagh[nb] cotton scarf[/nb] tied around the head works just as well.

flotemysost

Indoor answer: another vote for being indoors with shitty weather outside (or in the absence of actual precipitation, www.rainymood.com or any of the myriad similar apps/sites).

I like incense and candles but none of that Yankee bollocks, or anything emulating the floral/edible - I was given these bad boys as gifts recently and my room now smells like a tobacco-y old woodshed:

https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=20&Sub=14&PID=10322&qclr=5055473368619

https://www.finnishdesignshop.com/decoration-candles-candle-holders-scented-candles-scented-candle-with-lid-flamma-p-15721.html

Blackout curtains are another good shout. I bought some IKEA ones a couple of years ago and they're fucking great, genuinely helped with a bout of insomnia I was having in my old flat. I'm gonna take them with me to every flatshare I live in until I die.

Outdoor answer: Walking for miles in my DMs (as they're so ridiculously comfortable), headphones on, ideally somewhere with some form of greenery but I like exploring urban areas too.

Love a good cemetery (not in a morbid sense, just find they're normally quite interesting and peaceful places to be).

Sitting in a pub/cafe and reading with a nice pint/coffee.

Just writing this post has made me feel a bit calmer after having a few days of feeling anxious and shit recently, so thanks for the inadvertent pick-me-up.

salr

Ever since i wan a young'un, I have ahad a street lamp d sending some orange glow into my room.

I don't know how I would cope with total darkness.

I Guess it is part of the human condition, you learn to adapt to whatever. I would miss that orange glow.

Flatulent Fox

I think the 'MASTURBATING MASKED MAN CONFOUNDS CARDIFF COPS' has found his comfort zone.
The filthy beast.

GMTV

The world is a scary and dangerous place so why would anyone want to leave their comfort zone.

salr

Quote from: GMTV on February 19, 2020, 04:28:00 PM
The world is a scary and dangerous place so why would anyone want to leave their comfort zone.

Hmm comfort zone. what does that mean.

I would like to try black-out curtains.

I would like to try em.

totally black when I sleep.

I would like to try that.

weekender

It's quite easy to distinguish between early morning dog walkers and graffiti twats.

I say hello to the former and push the latter into canals.

Emma Raducanu

Last night 10pm, stars in the sky, empty roads, Brian Eno on; I check in the rear view mirror; toddler (mine) sound asleep, I sink into my seat and literally smile. That's the whole world at peace . Plus I had Chomet's the Illusionist waiting to be watched. It was 10/10 on the ace scale.

Another comfort zone for me is hiking in the lakes, as remotely as possible. The feeling of being away from everyone fills me with joy.

Emma Raducanu

Keep telling you, you're not mine.

weekender

Oh fuck it, I'm very tired.

Does look like me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: weekender on February 19, 2020, 09:00:04 PM
It's quite easy to distinguish between early morning dog walkers and graffiti twats.

I say hello to the former and push the latter into canals.

Do you still or are you now past the point of taking on the young? I didn't see a Gran Torino type trajectory in your future.

weekender

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 19, 2020, 09:34:09 PM
Do you still or are you now past the point of taking on the young? I didn't see a Gran Torino type trajectory in your future.

I thought Gran Torino was about cars?

Interesting point thought, which of them do I hate most?

weekender

I've decided that I hate young people more than I hate cars.

Ferris

salr

Quote from: weekender on February 19, 2020, 09:37:24 PM
I thought Gran Torino was about cars?

Interesting point thought, which of them do I hate most?

Gran Torino is about an old man learning to forgive/forget/trust new people.

Also yea it has a boss V8 in it.

Captain Z

Ah, and now I realise why they call Juventus 'the Old Lady' .

Stoneage Dinosaurs

It's weird but sometimes nature feels a bit too isolating, if I'm on my own in the (England's closest real equivalent to) wild, it can be absolutely perfect, but if I'm in a particular state of anxiety it can just exacerbate it, make me more aware of my own thoughts and stresses - I think I've got pretty good at telling whether it's a good idea for my mental health to go for a good walk or not, even if I'm perfectly aware that it doesn't make that much sense.
Weirdly, cities seem to put me at ease more reliably, especially big ones and ones that I'm not familiar with. I don't know why but just wandering around exploring a bunch of unfamiliar streets, taking in buildings and squares and patterns and such just does it for me for some reason - even in otherwise unremarkable or dull places like Norwich or Chelmsford or Birmingham or somewhere. Can't really explain it.
The other thing that's always been comforting to me is the Adam and Joe podcasts, they're always reliable and there's a ton of them (plus the xfm shows and assorted extra stuff) so that's always a good bet. Athletico Mince too.

jamiefairlie

Podcasts are great for this. I get ridiculously happy when a new Chart Music comes long as a I know I can pop out, get some fast food and just relax in my car listening to Taylor spout his fastidiously plotted invective against some z-grade family entertainer from the early 80s.

R4 podcasts such In Our Time or the Big Finish Dr Who ones are also on the rotation.

When I was young and foolish, I decided to tour the coastline of Scotland by myself and on a total whim i just took off without telling anyone and without booking any accommodation . On one particular stretch of the north-west coast heading up to Sutherland, it was getting dark and I literally didn't see another vehicle for about three hours as I winded and looped through the desolate countryside. My only friend was the comforting tones of Radio 4, as it faded in and out of reception areas.

non capisco

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 20, 2020, 08:53:45 PM
Podcasts are great for this.

They really are. The OP might be pleased to know that several podcasts on his Podnose network were a big comfort to me at the back end of last year when my brain was being a complete dickhead and throwing horrible panic attacks at me left, right and centre. Turns out a long aimless walk listening to some people discussing the terrible 1960s US Beatles cartoons can help you not think you might be about to die.

And, yes, Chart Music is always a massive salve. I fucking love that lot and if I ever met Al Needham in real life I'd probably just collapse sobbing in gratitude.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 20, 2020, 08:53:45 PM
On one particular stretch of the north-west coast heading up to Sutherland, it was getting dark and I literally didn't see another vehicle for about three hours as I winded and looped through the desolate countryside. My only friend was the comforting tones of Radio 4, as it faded in and out of reception areas.

Lovely.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A couple of weeks ago I was staying in a village called Flacht outside of Limburg an der Lahn, and the buses in cease at about 6. I didn't want to get into town until later on so I thought I'll walk it, about an hour.

All was well, stiff if mild breeze, and a steady incline from down in the valley led me out onto a barren top, a bit like the Lincolnshire wolds. Normally I enjoy a walk and a bit of time to myself but the sheer desolation of the brown tilled earth stretching over the brow of this vast hill made me feel extremely isolated and vulnerable. It was dark, only lit by the moon and the occasional car vrooming past loudly. The views of the city were majestic and I tried to sing to distract myself but just couldn't get my spirits up. It just felt like 'you shouldn't be here'.

Anyway so that's the anabasis from the comfort zone, and I thought I'd share as it seemed similar to what Angrew said.

Having to do the walk in reverse to get home filled me with mild dread, but amazingly a Gasthaus in Holzheim was open at 1am, so I dived in there to break up the journey back. Never seen so many heads turn. I must have been interrupting planning for a swingers party or AfD march or both.

Jockice

Real life programmes with scrotes driving badly and getting arrested. Yer Road Wars, Police Interceptors, Traffic Cops etc. I can spend entire days lying on the couch watching them. And occasionally have done.

Brundle-Fly

When on my own? Quiet old fashioned boozer and a paper or music/ film related mag, maybe play a silly app game or surf net on me dumbphone, sup up, walk the long way home listening to an audiobook/ podcast. If I've drunk more than two pints, I will listen to whatever new album I've bought recently.

'eaven.

chveik

Bobtoo

I like being underground. I prefer mines but I like caves, culverts, bunkers and tunnels too.

I think this was my favourite find.

The mine is fairly well known and plenty of people have looked into the collapsed and flooded main entrance. Not too many people have found their way to the back entrance though.

Inside it looks like this.

I just find it very relaxing being so isolated.

Shoulders?-Stomach!