Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mind-flaying dissonant wall-of-fucking-hell extreme metal

Started by alan nagsworth, February 19, 2020, 02:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Been feeding a load of demonically evil blackened death metal and metered, bludgeoning sludge/noise stuff into my head lately because as much as I love a sweet sweet melody I'm also a real sucker for having my chest caved in by huge sonic slabs of howling piss, walking down the street listening to some unrelenting 12-minute tsunami of black metal and scrunching my face up and laughing out loud at the sheer force of it. I can't be alone in doing that, being caught off guard by a sound, or similarly a particularly heavy scene in a horror film, and going "pffffoooHOHOHO" in shock and amazement. I'm really really happy that new music can still do that to me.

So today I discovered Krallice. They're a technical black metal band formed by a couple of chaps, one from screeching mental avant-garde guitar/drum duo Orthrelm and one from chaotically complex fret-wank prog-math wackos Behold The Arctopus. Both of those bands have their merits but JHEEEEZ Krallice is something else. It's not indulgent toss, it's not unintelligible flailing, it's pure black metal perfection. The production manages to soar the precarious line between sonic mastery and frost-bitten aural assault, the tunes are long as fuck, it's progressive and brilliantly measured and above all else it absolutely spanks from morning to night. I had their album "Diotima" on this morning and I couldn't believe my ears. This is some of the best black metal I've ever heard!

After first listening to cacophonous Australian racket-mongers Portal (who, honestly, I quite enjoy but find to be a little underwhelming) I went out seeking similar, better stuff and found the album "In A World Forgotten" by Infernal Coil. Woof, that album is some piece of work! It is much more arty than most metal, as the whole 37-minute record really deserves to be ingested as a whole (and the vicelike grip of it doesn't particularly let you listen to it in any other way), but it's very rewarding. The sheer raging tornado of hell in the opening tracks that bridges excellently into the somber, melodic sparseness later on creates an expansive and cinematic experience. It's brutal as fuck but it's really quite awe-inspiring. A great band and I can't wait to see what they come out with next.

What all-consuming Dave-travelling-through-time-in-Space-Odyssey batshit metal discordance are you into?

purlieu

Oh yes, I enjoy Krallice a lot. I'm only in the mood for this kind of music about three times a year, and they tick the boxes pretty well.

My option would be Ævangelist, and specifically their album Enthrall to the Void of Bliss. Blackened death metal topped with plucked atonal harp that basically doesn't let up for about 70 minutes. The final track, the superbly named 'Meditation of Transcendental Evil', features some of the most ludicrous vocals I've heard in a metal song. Lots of fun.

kngen

I like Krallice, but I think I have Orthrelm PTSD, so whenever the guitarist throws in a little atonal sweep, I go 'Woooaaargh' and want to turn it off immediately. Doesn't happen that often, but kind of interrupts my enjoyment.

I saw them a few years ago, too - but the sound was so shit, the nuances were a bit lost. Not surprised they don't tour much.

Famous Mortimer

I'll have a bit of that Krallice (I rely on CaBbers to tell me about music). Lovely!

jonbob

alan nagsworth

Get some more stuff in here please guys, will likely be arsing about all day Sunday and would appreciate some vile music to arse about to.

Had a listen to a couple of tracks by the band Imperial Triumphant today, they're pretty good eh!

sevendaughters

I quite like Jute Gyte. One man project devoted to microtonal metal. Everything is mapped out mathematically and then made, rather than composed according to feel. That said there's some exploration of philosophical concepts too. Here's an example:

The coda of the first track features a tempo ratio of 7:8, with seven beats to a measure in the guitars and 808 and eight beats to a measure in the bass, drums and processed rhythm. The closeness of the 7:8 ratio creates a rhythmic interference pattern or "dissonance"—the ear expects resolution in the form of one tempo either slowing or accelerating to match the other and establish a common pulse.

What I like about this track - about to link - is that the production seems to have stripped a lot of the resonances out. So not only do you not get these resolutions in a music full of 'dissonance', you don't even get the warm timbral thump of a lot of modern metal. I used to play this to an ex to make her laugh. She found it instantly hilarious that anyone could want to do this, but also didn't reject it off-hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INbLCaYxQBM

my fav Jute Gyte rave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdygE-CXGA

Dirty Boy

Always appreciate threads like this popping up. Even though i'm far from an expert on this sort of thing (or indeed what 'trve' Black Metal is even supposed to sound like), i've always enjoyed Panzer Division Marduk although i'm not sure how it compares to the early stuff

Krallice are great as are Full Of Hell who occasionally bring to mind the great berzerkery of Anaal Nathrakh. I see they've done an album with Merzbow, but i haven't heard it yet. Weeping Choir from last year is fairly to the point. Not exactly eclectic, but does the job.

Quote from: NagsworthHad a listen to a couple of tracks by the band Imperial Triumphant today, they're pretty good eh!
They are! You might enjoy Liturgy whose last album was a late favourite of mine from last year.  BM, glitch noise and modern classical thrown into a blender.

It might be an obvious choice, but Torture Garden is always a reliable ear shredder.

kngen

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 21, 2020, 01:38:34 PM
Liturgy

I was thinking about them the other day, and wondering what up-their-own-arseness they'd come up with to outdo the 'Transcendental Black Metal' essay that accompanied their first album:

And, lo, flowcharts!

I can see Fenriz having a wee chuckle into his goblet of mead about all that ...

Dirty Boy

Well, Black Metal types do often come across as anus gazers, even the ones who don't play particularly arty music. I always try to avoid reading the descriptions of avant-type stuff anyway in case it puts me off so YOU'VE SPOILED IT!

I was thinking they were a relatively new band as well...

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 21, 2020, 11:53:18 AM
I quite like Jute Gyte. One man project devoted to microtonal metal. Everything is mapped out mathematically and then made, rather than composed according to feel. That said there's some exploration of philosophical concepts too. Here's an example:

The coda of the first track features a tempo ratio of 7:8, with seven beats to a measure in the guitars and 808 and eight beats to a measure in the bass, drums and processed rhythm. The closeness of the 7:8 ratio creates a rhythmic interference pattern or "dissonance"—the ear expects resolution in the form of one tempo either slowing or accelerating to match the other and establish a common pulse.

What I like about this track - about to link - is that the production seems to have stripped a lot of the resonances out. So not only do you not get these resolutions in a music full of 'dissonance', you don't even get the warm timbral thump of a lot of modern metal. I used to play this to an ex to make her laugh. She found it instantly hilarious that anyone could want to do this, but also didn't reject it off-hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INbLCaYxQBM

my fav Jute Gyte rave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdygE-CXGA
Also, the "Birefringence" album is available for free on Bandcamp (well, name your price) and the album description is every bit as complicated as you might have hoped.

kngen

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 21, 2020, 02:17:01 PM
Well, Black Metal types do often come across as anus gazers, even the ones who don't play particularly arty music. I always try to avoid reading the descriptions of avant-type stuff anyway in case it puts me off so YOU'VE SPOILED IT!

I was thinking they were a relatively new band as well...

Sorry! There's just something about Liturgy (well, Hunter-Hunt Hendrix) that I find incredibly annoying, whether its his black metal opera (and accompanying series of philosophy lectures. Dear christ ...) or his trap/djent band, which I haven't even bothered to listen to because why the fuck would I want to? Not every half-baked brainfart of an idea has to be executed, you silly man!

I'm pals with a few people in USBM scene and - even when you account for the usual backbiting, gossipy nature of black metal - the stories all follow a pattern of Liturgy being a bunch of 'too cool for school' rich kids who rub everyone up the wrong way - promoters, other bands, the punters - with their outrageous sense of entitlement and inflated egos.

Dirty Boy

On my own Mind-flaying dissonant wall-of-fucking-hell extreme metal-athon right now thanks to this thread. Primitive Man are the nastiest thing i've heard in a while. Makes Eyehategod sound like Foster and Allen. I had to have a shower and listen to Swans for comfort.

I need to listen to more Krallice actually, really like what i've heard.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 21, 2020, 01:38:34 PM
Krallice are great as are Full Of Hell who occasionally bring to mind the great berzerkery of Anaal Nathrakh. I see they've done an album with Merzbow, but i haven't heard it yet. Weeping Choir from last year is fairly to the point. Not exactly eclectic, but does the job.

Full of Hell are fucking wicked. I saw them play with The Body last year (they did a set each and then a third set together afterwards) and they absolutely tore the roof off. The Merzbow split I'd say is not their best effort (and IIRC there's not really a lot of Merzy's noise on it, but maybe I should revisit it), but the stuff they've done with The Body - especially "One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache" - is superb.

Re: Krallice, I have listened to the track Litany of Regrets probably 5 or 6 times over the last few days, it's just an absolutely unreal tune. 13 relentless minutes. The drum compression that cuts through the guitars creates a phenomenal sound and the lyrics which are just basically saying "things are shit now but they've always been shit and will continue to be shit for eternity" are very affecting, particularly the last line and the piercing bridge section that succeeds it. What a band.

magval

I'm no good for recommending full albums but the intro and title track of Immortal's Blizzard Beasts album sound suitably horrible and inhuman, weird production, rasped lyrics transmitted from a place that's just OTHER, angry guitars. A nice couple of minutes of blast weirdness.

For me the ground zero of this kind of thing is Anaal Nathrakh's The Codex Necro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettzGLrFGLo&ab_channel=UnitedKingdomExtremeMetal

One of the most extreme albums ever recorded for sure, just a hateful, dissonant wall of anger.

chveik

The Mollusk

Sectioned are wicked! And funnily enough I was listening to Anaal Nathrakh last night, went round my mate's gaff and drank about 15 beers in his kitchen listening to Iron Monkey and Dragged Into Sunlight and Faxed Head with a fucking great big spider sat on the ceiling above my head for the whole evening, it was GREAT.

sevendaughters

revived this old thread rather than start a new one - Liturgy are touring and my mate's band are supporting. Anyone seen Liturgy recently though? I stopped caring after a bit but reading an interview with the Hunter Hunt-Hendrix after gender-reaffirming treatment has piqued my interest a bit.

also the recentish Jute Gyte record Mitrealit�ä�t is very good.

Ron Superior

I was going to say I saw Liturgy recently at the Dome but I just checked and that was 7 years ago. Fuck me. They were great then though. A few truly transcendent moments. Who's your mate's band?

Going back through this thread, I think I may have mentioned them in another thread recently but another band I always end up at after going on a Krallice kick is White Suns. Definitely not black metal, but their debut album on Weasel Walter's ugExplode label, as well as their their third album on The Flenser, have a load of parts that absolutely floor me in a way that only BM really can.

Here's a track from their debut:

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ron Superior on September 16, 2022, 05:04:28 PMWho's your mate's band?

Dawn Ray'd. Antifash black metal. Their youtube comments are a cesspool.

Heard Sinews by White Suns. Was good!

Ron Superior

Ah yeah, love Dawn Ray'd! I think my mate's band, Morrow, have gigged with them a fair bit.

If you haven't hear the EP White Suns put out on Orange Milk earlier this year that's also highly recommended as something a bit different.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 16, 2022, 05:12:16 PMDawn Ray'd. Antifash black metal. Their youtube comments are a cesspool.

Your mate's band is good! You weren't kidding about the comments though. "The real fascists are the anti fascists"-type stuff. lame.