Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Points-based immigration system [Split topic]

Started by Blumf, February 19, 2020, 12:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Does make you wonder if Brexit was a whole ploy to get Man City back into the Champions' League five years later though.

bgmnts

City don't have enough points to get in the UK hahaha

Matter of time before Nigel Farage is on telly talking about how much better English football was when clubs were banned from Europe in the '80s. 

pigamus

The terrible thing is, people see is as an attempt to be fair. You can try to explain to them that in practice it doesn't work out that way, but I don't think they're minded to listen.

Buelligan

In my experience the sort of people who like a nice points-based immigration system are exactly the sort who don't like to think about things too deeply. 

They want something like Ronseal that they can slap on the counter, lean back and stop thinking with a big trumping smile.  That's who a point-based immigration is designed for.  Not customers or employers, not business, certainly not immigrants or even reality, just people who aren't really affected by it and don't want to think too much or be responsible for outcomes.  Similar to Brexit really.

Now we've had enough of experts, it's time for people who know very little indeed to take the reins.

SteK

Been a while since I delved but hasn't non-spousal immigration always been points-based?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: SteK on February 25, 2020, 09:54:50 AM
Been a while since I delved but hasn't non-spousal immigration always been points-based?

Tier 4 is points based, for sure.

Edit: In fact, yeah, the current system is points based for any non-EU/EEA citizen.

Buelligan

In the absence of SERCO, I have stepped up to remove that glitch.  No thanks necessary, just doing my duty as a concerned citizen.