Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Points-based immigration system [Split topic]

Started by Blumf, February 19, 2020, 12:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

While I do understand the reason for it I find the inclusion of a PhD in a points-based system of 'usefulness' quite funny.  Mainly skilled at the hour-long tea break.

TrenterPercenter

The system looks like a load of balls.  It makes some threatening moves toward non-english speakers but that is caveated with "at required level" and then you have your shortage occupation with 20 points.  You can see how it works you get your 50 for your general gubbins and your 20 for whatever the government wants to make a priority, which will basically be all the positions people were moaning about.

Don't get me wrong it is grim and give the government a lot of control to use it against its own country (sorry but the NHS can't get a more relaxed attitude to scoring) they just know that if the it looks like the lefties kick off when basically they have just done the same rules for immigration outside of the EU (which to be honest has more of a problem with non-english speakers) and that hasn't mean no immigration then they will be happy, as the usually will just go if the lefties are angry then it must be good.

Great policy this one, will have a positive impact on both employment levels of the working classes, and will put upward pressure on salaries

It's an old school left wing policy, you'd have all been behind this before you became a student protest movement

Cardenio I

Quote from: Mister Six on February 19, 2020, 05:08:14 PM
Anyone know how this will affect Mrs Six's chances of getting in? She's a non-European within a skilled industry's but we're married and she's not working at the mo...

I think spousal visas continue to be a different thing, no?

shiftwork2

You've fucked your avatar Paulie.  Why would Paulie Walnuts be posing in front of the union flag?  It's almost as if you've combined two unrelated elements that you consider might wind up members of this forum (and are wrong on both counts) without a thought.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 19, 2020, 06:39:04 PM
You've fucked your avatar Paulie.  Why would Paulie Walnuts be posing in front of the union flag?  It's almost as if you've combined two unrelated elements that you consider might wind up members of this forum (and are wrong on both counts) without a thought.

Is that who it is? I thought the picture was Barry from Eastenders after his weight loss!

bgmnts

Can't wait til all these British people say no to all these jobs foreign people are doing, being made to do it, do it worse and whinge.

Great for employment!

wait....are you saying....there will be too many jobs?

poodlefaker

I think it's great that the government has committed to investing massively in the education, health and skills-training of UK citizens, and the creation of well-paid jobs and housing for the workforce; and will gladly pay the increased taxes and higher costs of goods and service that this will entail. And I'm sure the rest of the country will agree with me.

Zetetic

How different is this to the current immigration system (for non-EU citizens)?

That's a genuine question, and it's not intended as an endorsement.

I guess the charge and restricted benefits might be a bit different, and the points system - while a bit worse in its arbitrary sum-ing - isn't a million miles away from the existing hurdles. Am I massively wrong?

the left : arguing in favour of wage suppression and less jobs as usual

blathering on about education, because thats the only world you know, blissfully unaware of another world where "unskilled" jobs, or jobs with training provided by your employer, can provide someone with a rewarding career and an income to bring up a family

only the state can solve our problems! they must train, clothe house and employ us!

not everyone wants to do a degree in gender studies and work in the public sector

nah, let's just carry on filling those roles with people willing to be paid slave wages so you can feel good about your progressive globalist views

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 19, 2020, 07:00:46 PM

blathering on about education, because thats the only world you know, blissfully unaware of another world where "unskilled" jobs, or jobs with training provided by your employer, can provide someone with a rewarding career and an income to bring up a family

only the state can solve our problems! they must train, clothe house and employ us!

not everyone wants to do a degree in gender studies and work in the public sector

nah, let's just carry on filling those roles with people willing to be paid slave wages so you can feel good about your progressive globalist views

Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them

Sebastian Cobb

jobotic

Paulie is so excited by WINNING that he's speaking in tongues.

bgmnts

Hahahahahahaa its so shit

Did this place used to have a good standard of cunt troll or was it always this shit

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: jobotic on February 19, 2020, 07:05:35 PM
Paulie is so excited by WINNING that he's speaking in tongues.

It's more than one person isn't it?

Cardenio I

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything anyone has said in this thread.

this week; Priti Patel announces an immigration policy that will boost the job prospects and salaries of the working classes, Labour were on the telly telling us babies are born neither male or female

2024 will be an extinction level event for Labour

Ferris

Quote from: Zetetic on February 19, 2020, 06:59:26 PM
How different is this to the current immigration system (for non-EU citizens)?

That's a genuine question, and it's not intended as an endorsement.

I guess the charge and restricted benefits might be a bit different, and the points system - while a bit worse in its arbitrary sum-ing - isn't a million miles away from the existing hurdles. Am I massively wrong?

I was wondering this as well. I seem to remember it was very draconian, but I haven't looked at it for years so not sure how it works.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 19, 2020, 07:14:27 PM
this week; Priti Patel announces an immigration policy that will boost the job prospects and salaries of the working classes, Labour were on the telly telling us babies are born neither male or female

2024 will be an extinction level event for Labour

You don't have to be ashamed of using your own ideas

bgmnts

Quote from: bgmnts on February 19, 2020, 07:05:40 PM
Hahahahahahaa its so shit

Did this place used to have a good standard of cunt troll or was it always this shit

Nobody?

Famous Mortimer

Cardenio I

Is he just copy and pasting comments from under news articles?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cardenio I on February 19, 2020, 07:17:53 PM
Is he just copy and pasting comments from under news articles?
It would certainly be an efficient trolling tactic.

Immigration doesn't lead to wage suppression.  It's an old myth built the back of those favourite tools of the right: ignorance, prejudice and guesswork.  The effects are marginal, and usually confined to a handful of jobs - usually seasonal work, not the sort of jobs where your member of the working class can support a family.

The 2019 General Election btw didn't see Labour's vote amongst the working classes decrease relative to its vote amongst middle or upper middle class voters.  In fact it was ABC1 voters who jumped back to the Tories at a greater rate than the working class abandoned Labour.  A quick look at where Labour's 200 seats are would tell you that the core vote is still traditional working class cities & areas of cities.  Where they lost was in small towns, mainly because no fucker is ever going to tell someone there that the mines & factories are never going to re-open; that their dead-end town is going to remain just that.  Instead, it's easier to think that kicking the foreigners out will magically make jobs reappear.  They'll be shook out of that delusion when they notice Johnson hasn't brought jobs back, but has rolled out Universal Credit.

The reason people bang on about the importance of actual training & education is that those jobs which don't require it will be lost pretty soon to automation or to developing countries thanks to their cheap labour force - and this process will be hastened by Brexit (the Tories have stated this in the past, and it's mentioned again in their 'points system' waffle).  Haven't you noticed that they constantly claim that Brexit will allow Britain to 'trade with the world again'?  Do you seriously think this means they're re-opening the shipyards?

Egyptian Feast

I just saw Kim Gordon retweet an #FBPE Paulie. He seems more reasonable than ours, but still not very funny. Disappointing that neither of them can be arsed attempting to write in character. Why bother if you're not going to put in the effort?