Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Points-based immigration system [Split topic]

Started by Blumf, February 19, 2020, 12:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 19, 2020, 07:28:39 PM
The reason people bang on about the importance of actual training & education is that those jobs which don't require it will be lost pretty soon to automation or to developing countries thanks to their cheap labour force - and this process will be hastened by Brexit (the Tories have stated this in the past, and it's mentioned again in their 'points system' waffle).  Haven't you noticed that they constantly claim that Brexit will allow Britain to 'trade with the world again'?  Do you seriously think this means they're re-opening the shipyards?

Yep, anyone that has moved because of Brexit will have seriously considered automation and when shoring up their assets will have made both moving geographically and moving towards automation easier, and the geographical thing will now mean they can probably look to move to much cheaper labour markets.

So in short anything that's left will never come back.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 19, 2020, 07:00:46 PM
blathering on about education, because thats the only world you know, blissfully unaware of another world where "unskilled" jobs, or jobs with training provided by your employer, can provide someone with a rewarding career and an income to bring up a family

That training provided by the employer is going to mean that the goods or services provided are going to cost more to cover it, rather than outsourcing it to other countries and buying the labour in cheaply. And as I said old love, I'm happy to pay the extra.

flotemysost

Quote from: Cardenio I on February 19, 2020, 06:35:56 PM
I think spousal visas continue to be a different thing, no?

I think so - one of my mates, who's from India, had been living and working in the UK for a good few years when she lost her well-paid job a while back (think this was under Cameron) and panic-married her British partner so as not to risk getting chucked out if she couldn't find another job at the required salary quickly enough (I don't know if that law was specifically for Commonwealth citizens though).

She still votes Tory.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: flotemysost on February 19, 2020, 08:45:35 PM
I think so - one of my mates, who's from India, had been living and working in the UK for a good few years when she lost her well-paid job a while back (think this was under Cameron) and panic-married her British partner so as not to risk getting chucked out if she couldn't find another job at the required salary quickly enough (I don't know if that law was specifically for Commonwealth citizens though).

She still votes Tory.

Bleak snapshot of UK political reality.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: monkfromhavana on February 19, 2020, 03:15:30 PM
If they're marching on the mansions, I'll join in. I suspect they'll probably be targeting some other dreamt up bullshit or a war of some kind.
People in my city, they fight for they meals
He sleeps on a mattress stuffed with hundred dollar bills
A richie is the devil, he never will admit it,
So I'ma cut his hand off and slap his face with it
Opened up his door
He's sleeping in his bed
I grabbed a brick of gold and smacked it upside his head
He begged for his life
I told him it's too late
And tied his neck in a knot and watched him suffocate

Zetetic

In unrelated news, the "main lever" to deliver on the nursing plan in England is ... "international recruitment".

(Oh, and the retention plan is bit of mess.)

Source: https://www.hsj.co.uk/workforce/exclusive-leak-reveals-government-fears-over-50000-nurses-plan/7026959.article

Cardenio I

QuoteLow-skilled workers would not get visas under post-Brexit immigration plans unveiled by the government.
In total, immigrants would have to reach 70 points to be able to work in the UK, with points also being awarded for qualifications, the salary on offer and working in a sector with shortages.
Proposed points system
Mandatory requirements   Points
Job offer from approved sponsor   20
Job at appropriate skill level   20
English at required level   10
Points for salary   Points
£20,480 – £23,039   0
£23,040 – £25,599   10
£25,600 or above   20
Additional points   Points
Job in a shortage occupation   20
PhD in subject relevant to the job   10
PhD in relevant STEM subject   20

Presumably "appropriate skill level" and "shortage occupation" can be defined year to year by the Government however they wish.  The Migration Advisory Committee is already recommending the following professions be classed as "skilled":

QuoteAir-conditioning and refrigeration engineers, rail and rolling stock
builders and repairers, skilled metal, electrical and electronic trades
supervisors, carpenters and joiners, glaziers, window fabricators and fitters,
plasterers, floorers and wall tilers, painters and decorators, construction and
building trades supervisors, childminders and related occupations, teaching
assistants and educational support assistants.

Dunno about you, but some of those jobs seem a bit on the "working class/polish" side to me.

I suppose it all depends on what the Government actually wants to achieve by this. Cynically speaking, it gives them the opportunity to keep immigration more or less the same while using the phrase "Australian-style points system" as a sop to the nativists despite the fact that Australia has a higher net migration per 1000 than the UK (but they seem more racist so this line goes over well regardless).

Practically, it depends on whether they actually bother with their stated election pledge to reduce migration, something they have failed to do in the recent past. Failed to because of the EU? Well, non-eu migration vastly outnumbers eu-migration already , so probably not. Regardless, in an ageing population you've got to get your workforce where you can. Or Logan's Run it, I suppose.

Cuellar

Yeah it all sounds very vague to me.

"Government announces severe shortage of cleaners in Tory MPs homes"

evilcommiedictator

The good* thing is that the Australian System promotes two main things:
1) White collar workers imported from white nations doing white jobs that pay well - for some fucking reason, our Aussie Banks are corrupted with you UK scum because "they worked in a bank once therefore qualify to get the fuck out and come over here"
2) Undermining the minimum wage as there's always poor people willing to work in the shadows because as it turns out, the cost of living and wages don't quite match up, we've got entire franchises built on small business owners getting their workers to pay back their wages and underpaying because it fulfills a step in their permanent residency application

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on February 20, 2020, 10:18:12 AM
The good* thing is that the Australian System promotes two main things:
1) White collar workers imported from white nations doing white jobs that pay well - for some fucking reason, our Aussie Banks are corrupted with you UK scum because "they worked in a bank once therefore qualify to get the fuck out and come over here"
2) Undermining the minimum wage as there's always poor people willing to work in the shadows because as it turns out, the cost of living and wages don't quite match up, we've got entire franchises built on small business owners getting their workers to pay back their wages and underpaying because it fulfills a step in their permanent residency application

With this, shoulders' pathetic "all men are fucked" thread, and bgmnts' "British people are lazy and feckless" (let's be honest, white British people were the real target here, as you guys would flagellate yourselves before ever saying it about non-whites), it's always nice to see what forms of bigotry are acceptable to lefties. The only appropriate response to this kind of shite is...

Cardenio I

Cuellar

Quote from: Baron von Klaus on February 20, 2020, 12:21:48 PM
With this, shoulders' pathetic "all men are fucked" thread, and bgmnts' "British people are lazy and feckless" (let's be honest, white British people were the real target here, as you guys would flagellate yourselves before ever saying it about non-whites), it's always nice to see what forms of bigotry are acceptable to lefties. The only appropriate response to this kind of shite is...

Sorry that link is broken for me - what is the only appropriate response?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You see what you want to see.

Yet another no name non entity, fuck off.

There's a fair amount of incredulity today on Spanish TV over the announcement of the new immigration system.  Scenes of rotten English folk on the Spanish costas in their vile little English enclaves (sitting in the "Only Fools and Horses Pub"), intercut with some British spokesman stating that if you can't speak English, you won't be allowed in.  Interviews with Spanish hospital workers saying that they wouldn't qualify under the new rules, while also stating that they're drastically understaffed.  It's all so self-destructive and mean-spirited.  But good luck getting all those economically inactive Brits to do the work instead.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 20, 2020, 12:43:01 PM
You see what you want to see.

Yet another no name non entity, fuck off.

Millions can see it, and that's why millions tell (and will continue to tell) you to "fuck off" in elections.

Anyway, as you constantly need reminding, no-one needs to run posts past you before they submit them, and you don't run the place.

Cardenio I

Can the cunt who is behind these boring ass right wing troll accounts bother to engage with any fucking thing being said? If not, can they fuck off if I promise to say : "The left is the real bigots, they hate whites and the working classes and will never be elected again. 100 million people agree with me." once every couple of days on every thread even tangentially related to politics from here until fucking eternity.

Barry Admin

Baron von Klaus, Pride of Elvis, Chuck Armstrong and the fourth account is...

Cardenio I

Cardenio I

phantom_power

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 20, 2020, 01:18:04 PM

Is it the businessman, in his suit and tie?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Self-hatred and the uninformed/uniform belief that your home is absolute worst place in the world are long standing features of the Jacobin left. In reality of course, it's all projection: they just don't like who they are and where they are in life.

jobotic

bgmnts

I don't like most people or what most people are in life, to be fair, British or no, so your really crap pop psychology is a bit weird.

Johnny Yesno

I wonder what brexiteers think about the government increasing the time from four months to two years that international students can remain in the UK to work once they've completed their studies, given the intention to increase the number of international students in higher education to 600,000 by 2030. And will the government finally remove students from the immigration figures now it looks politically expedient to do so?

pigamus

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 20, 2020, 01:18:04 PM

1 Corinthians 13 has gone off badly since my day

idunnosomename

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 20, 2020, 06:30:28 PM
I wonder what brexiteers think about the government increasing the time from four months to two years that international students can remain in the UK to work once they've completed their studies, given the intention to increase the number of international students in higher education to 600,000 by 2030. And will the government finally remove students from the immigration figures now it looks politically expedient to do so?
they think FREDOOM