Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:09:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ozu's film music

Started by Smeraldina Rima, February 20, 2020, 12:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Been trying to find Ozu's film music and music like it. The Ozu music anthology is £106 and not on streaming services. There is an album of Takanobu Saitō's Ozu film music by Miki Aoki called "Tokyo Story" but it's hard to find much of the other composers' stuff. Fish Man has put a few of the soundtracks on youtube including Senji Itô's for Late Spring and some other Japanese film soundtracks from around the same time. My favourite one is Toshirô Mayuzumi's for Good Morning. Some of these composers had big careers, making varied music but, well I've already made it clear I'm struggling to find the music of theirs that is or resembles the sentimental and amusing music they made for the Ozu films.

chveik

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on February 20, 2020, 12:01:11 AM
Toshirô Mayuzumi

I'm only aware of the music he made for Mizoguchi's Street of Shame, it's really good but tonally quite at odds with the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOMF4LzeET8

Quote from: chveik on February 20, 2020, 12:12:27 AM
I'm only aware of the music he made for Mizoguchi's Street of Shame, it's really good but tonally quite at odds with the film.

I watched this last night. Thanks for the recommendation. When Yumeko's son disowns her and when Shizuku says 'please come in' while frightened the music stood out strangely - distressing in the scene with Yumeko and troubling in the scene with Shizuku. I loved the acting and the interaction with the startling music though. Mayuzumi also wrote the music for The Woman of Rumour two years earlier so I think I'll try to watch that one before it goes.

chveik

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on April 26, 2020, 08:50:40 AM
Mayuzumi also wrote the music for The Woman of Rumour two years earlier so I think I'll try to watch that one before it goes.

watched this one tonight. I didn't pay too much attention at the music though... Mizoguchi's one of the greatest isn't he
Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on February 20, 2020, 12:01:11 AM
Been trying to find Ozu's film music and music like it. The Ozu music anthology is £106 and not on streaming services.

it's on soulseek btw