Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there a thread for Greed?

Started by pancreas, February 20, 2020, 12:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Yeah, there was one a little while - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=70553.0 - although no reason not to start a new thread.

re: your question - when it was doing the festival rounds last it got fairly decent reviews - a lot of the ones I read essentially said, it's not a great film but it is an entertaining one.

Bad Ambassador

Given that one of his criticisms is that Caroline Flack is in it - doing nothing that one might reasonably connect with her death, from what he describes - I'm not sure his opinion carries much, or indeed any, weight.

Cuellar

QuoteIf it wasn't confusing enough already, the late Caroline Flack appears in an early scene to introduce McCreadie before he presents himself with a novelty check for £1.2bn

Makes it sound like the reviewer is confused that a dead person is on screen, walking about and talking.

"but she's dead!"
"Yes Ed, this was filmed in the past"
"In the past?"
"yes"
"But I'm watching it now and there she is - what the hell is going on"

Tony Yeboah

It's enjoyable enough but pretty lightweight and toothless for what's supposed to be a biting satire. Feels a bit more like a Sunday night comedy drama with a bigger budget. A long way off Coogan and Winterbottom's best stuff. Tim Key's very funny in it but his part doesn't really go anywhere.

Dewt

Oh Jesus I watched the trailer the other day (looks bad) and did not realise that was who Caroline Flack is.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2020, 01:07:03 PM
Makes it sound like the reviewer is confused that a dead person is on screen, walking about and talking.

"but she's dead!"
"In the past?"
"yes"

Very ghoulish to see Caroline Flack enjoying herseif doing the job she loved. It's like something from The Conjuring 2!

Dewt

Quote from: Cuellar on February 20, 2020, 01:07:03 PM.

"but she's dead!"
"In the past?"
"yes"
I would like to pay a woman to say "boo!" to him

Gurke and Hare

From the trailer, it looks both very bad and huge fun because it's Coogan.

jobotic

Wonder if it'll be mentioned in his forthcoming semi-fictional series of him and Rob "cruise advert" Brydon enjoying Europe's most expensive restaurants.

I know, I know it's not the same.

ASFTSN

Quote from: olliebean on February 20, 2020, 01:50:13 PM
Does the lion look real?

It looks like it's floating a few millimetres above the ground.

olliebean

Quote from: ASFTSN on February 20, 2020, 10:32:25 PM
It looks like it's floating a few millimetres above the ground.

They should have stuck with the cartoony looking one they had in the test screenings. My favourite bit was (massive spoiler)
Spoiler alert
Coogan being mauled to death by the fake lion's-paw-on-a-stick.
[close]

Armin Meiwes

Urrrrrgh yeah saw the trailer for this, really expected better from this combo but it looks really bad.

TheDHolford

Saw it last night at a screening with Coogan, and it's pretty enjoyable. Some of the comedy works really well, but some of it is just "look which famous face we've got to do this", overall though it's pretty entertaining, despite the message the move is trying to convey being a little too on the nose and heavy handed. I'd give it maybe a solid 3/5, Coogan is great. David Mitchell is David Mitchell and is a bit wasted, but it's fine, I guess.

Also, the Caroline Flack moment is literally around 2 minutes, with her presenting an award to the lead character, nothing offensive or comedic, she is just there to give the award. The film is also dedicated to her.

Blue Jam

Seeing this tonight. I don't really care about the bad reviews- The Look Of Love was bad but I still enjoyed it, mainly for how Coogan couldn't avoid being very Partridge during the bit about his date having babysat Swan Connery's kids.

Charlie Cooper is in it too, and I shall probably enjoy that.

Blue Jam

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hi, I enjoyed this film.

Some of the average reviews are clearly hoping this won't break through.

It takes aim and hits (albeit at some easy targets) and counter to the reviews the comedy and the serious elements don't feel at all jarring.

Sure, it's no Wolf of Wall Street but it sets out to do what it wants to do and succeeds. A 4 star rating will do the trick.

Nearly all the cast are great with the exception of Asa Butterfield who tbf isn't helped by a script that leaves his character floating and in a weird pergatory state which he doesn't quite extract the potential from.

Definitely watch this. Fuck the reviews.

McFlymo

Can I get it in the naughty places (Magnetdl / TPB)? Or rent it online?

popcorn

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 24, 2020, 12:54:20 PM
it sets out to do what it wants to do and succeeds. A 4 star rating will do the trick.

desolation.

neveragain

Nope. No desolation. That's the best way to judge a film in my (and the late Roger Ebert's) opinion. Does it achieve what it intends to achieve?

popcorn

Quote from: neveragain on March 08, 2020, 12:20:49 AM
Nope. No desolation. That's the best way to judge a film in my (and the late Roger Ebert's) opinion. Does it achieve what it intends to achieve?

You can intend to achieve very bad things

neveragain

Yeah I mean, hopefully it goes without saying that a shit film is a shit film.
I suppose my thing comes after judging writing, acting, directing.

popcorn

I've never been satisfied with it as a philosophy, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It relies on the viewer being able to guess what the filmmakers were going for, which becomes more bizarre the more you think about - it's the opposite of the death of the author, it removes all agency from the viewer - and doesn't allow for the possibility that what the filmmakers were going for was shite in the first place. It turns the whole practice of watching a film and forming an opinion of it into a game of congratulating the director, or not, on whether they got what they wanted.

And Ebert clearly didn't follow his own advice anyway, given the number of bad reviews he gave to films by filmmakers who thought they deserved better. Did he know better than them whether they achieved what they wanted to achieve. Of course, surprise surprise, he was really only describing his own view of a film, which is the point in the first place.

Altogether it's one of those sort of depressing wishwashy statements like "it's turn-your-brain off fun" or "what did you expect it's a Marvel film", and other such consolation prizes given to films we don't want to give 5/5 to.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I didn't intend it in that way.

I thought it was a good film not an outstanding one, with several enjoyable section, occasional laughs and the odd very funny bit. The satirical elements hit the same heights, good but not outstanding.

I certainly wasn't intending to say it to mean 'that'll do'. It was provocative and reasonably daring to be so direct.

I recommend people see it as they will enjoy it.

popcorn

Malcy

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Lot of laughs and a great cast. Not much of a David Mitchell fan but liked him in this.

olliebean

One of the notes I gave at the preview was that it should have more of David Mitchell's character in it. Haven't seen the final cut, so I don't know if that was done. I know I wasn't the only person who said it.

chveik

it's garbage. nice enough message I suppose, but really toothless.