Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Simon Munnery - What Am I? (Art Exhibition)

Started by Tairy_Green, February 20, 2020, 03:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tairy_Green

Apologies if this is a faux pas, but a friend of mine is putting this together with Simon and I thought CaB might be a place where people might be interested:

QuoteSIMON MUNNERY – WHAT AM I?
An Exhibition at Ex-Baldessarre Gallery, Bedford
29th Feb – 9
th May 2020
"Many are willing to suffer for their art, few are willing to learn to draw" – Simon Munnery
Ex-Baldessarre Gallery, Bedford, is proud to present the first ever art exhibition by legendary
alternative comedian Simon Munnery. The exhibition will include paintings, props, jokes, videos and
archive material spanning 35 years of stand-up comedy. It will include many of his well-known
characters such as Alan Parker: Urban Warrior, with whom Munnery had a cult BBC Radio 1 show,
and League Against Tedium, which formed the bases of his BBC 2 television series Attention Scum.
Munnery was described by The Scotsman as: 'The closest that comedy gets to modern art', and this
exhibition will allow visitors to decide for themselves if his eclectic, profound, and humorous
endeavors can be considered art, or not. Some of Munnery's props from his 35 years of performing
at the Edinburgh Festival have been transformed into sculptures, and his stick-men drawings that
appear in many of his shows will be exhibited. Also on display, is the oil painting which was the
center of his most recent Edinburgh stand-up show The Wreath. Munney has had brushes with the
world of art before, having collaborated with Banksy on Exit Through the Gift Shop and appearing
occasionally as spokesperson for the mysterious graffiti-artist. He also once sold a painting, featuring
a joke about the Rolling Stones, to Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones.
The exhibition features Alan Parker: Urban Warrior, returning after 25 years to amuse the crowds at
Extinction Rebellion. During Alan's stirring routine, which includes showing the crowd some of his
drawings, we see many of the crowd getting arrested. We also witness a funeral, staged by Munnery
in his garden, in which he 'catches the Wreath'. Death, pretentiousness and politics are all
scrutinized for jokes, but in the humour something else seeps out, and perhaps that something could
be 'art'?
Exhibition Open February 29th 6-9pm and then is open every Saturday 12-6pm until 9th May.
Details and directions www.andyholdenartist.com/ex-baldessarre.
Address: 103a Coventry Road, Bedford, MK404EJ

dissolute ocelot

He is a master of the prop and costume, particularly when assembled for a 30-second joke and never mentioned again for the rest of the hour-long show. Also some of his short films are very interesting; didn't he do a show just of them a while ago. But sadly I don't suppose I'll be in Bedford.