Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Movies/Telly about Afterlife

Started by SteK, February 20, 2020, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

Well, I'm not spiritual or believe in an afterlife, but I kinda like to watch films about it. I love;

Both the Wim Wenders ones with angels
What Dreams May Come - bit shit really, but....
City of Angels, female of Wenders first one, awful
Alterlife TV series with Lesley Sharpe overacting, I quite liked that.

Anymore, prefer thinking ones rather than coming back as a ghost ones, thought they're ok of funny, Ghost was grand!

chveik

Defending Your Life (Albert Brooks). quite funny
After Life (Koreeda). really interesting concept

Alberon

Dead Ernest starring Andrew Sachs about a guy who dies and goes to heaven.

It was an ITV sitcom made in 1982. I saw it at the time and can't remember anything except Sachs complaining about having to share the afterlife with his wife, pointing out the marriage vows were "Till death do us part."

Sin Agog

It's kinda silly and hammy in a lot of ways, but I do appreciate the fact that the last thing Dennis Potter ever did was scrawl the final word on the Karaoke/Cold Lazarus script, before floating off to crust-heaven.  The first half is getting to know Albert Finney's head while it's still on his shoulders, while Cold Lazarus is set in some Channel 4 future after the now slightly scrambled disembodied head has been thawed out.  I guess the whole endeavour was an ailing Potter's attempt at immortality.  Should have frozen his own head instead of Albert Finney's in that case, the daft get.

Icehaven

The Good Place. The last episode has only just been on, and all 4 seasons are on Netflix.

buzby

Brainstorm - the 1983 Douglas Trumbull film starring Christopher Wal;ken and Natalie Wood about a research project to record and play back people's memories via brainwaves centres around a tape that records the death of one of the researchers, which is illustrated in a typical Trumbull SFX tour-de-force. Unfortunately it's more famous for Wood dying in mysterious circumstances during it's production.

See also Flatliners.

More recently R.I.P.D., a Ryan Reynolds/Jeff Bridges buddy cop/Men In Black type thing about dead cops protecting the living world from the undead.

Enrico Palazzo

Wristcutters - it's about an afterlife for suicide victims where everything is a bit greyer and shitter than life. Got Tom Waits in it. Remember liking it but due a rewatch.

phantom_power

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on February 21, 2020, 08:41:12 AM
Wristcutters - it's about an afterlife for suicide victims where everything is a bit greyer and shitter than life. Got Tom Waits in it. Remember liking it but due a rewatch.

I really enjoyed that when I caught it on Sky Movies at stupid o'clock in the morning years ago. Got the bloke from Gogol Bordello in it as well

What's that one with Warren Beattie in heaven? Does All Of Me count? Or that one with Robert Downey Jr that is a re-incarnation rom-com. They were big in the 80s, not so much nowadays

DoesNotFollow

That Pixar film Coco was pretty good. Interesting take on themes of death, family and memory.

phantom_power

Heaven Can Wait. That's the Beattie one. Used to get it mixed up with Heaven's Gate

Blumf

The "It's Christmas in Heaven" bit from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

A Matter of Life and Death, just something I really like about that vision of the afterlife:

Sebastian Cobb

Ghost in The Machine - serial killer dies and gets sucked in to the power grid and continues doing murders in ways that were then technically impossible but becoming a reality now because of insecure iot devices.

SteK

Quote from: icehaven on February 21, 2020, 07:48:29 AM
The Good Place. The last episode has only just been on, and all 4 seasons are on Netflix.

That looks good, I'm gonna start that tonight!

Blumf

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SteK on February 20, 2020, 10:20:37 PM
What Dreams May Come - bit shit really, but....

I still think it's a bit shit as well (although visually it's still pretty stunning), but it has had some fairly major re-appraisal over the last few years.  A lot of people now consider it as a minor masterpiece.

SteK

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 21, 2020, 12:54:00 PM
I still think it's a bit shit as well (although visually it's still pretty stunning), but it has had some fairly major re-appraisal over the last few years.  A lot of people now consider it as a minor masterpiece.

I found it a bit over-sentimental, though to fair it gets pretty grim during Max von Sydow bits. Might be worth a re-watch.

There's The Others too, but I find it very dark brightness-wise (needed for the plot though) and hard to concentrate on.

lebowskibukowski

Bad Ambassador

Dex Sawash

Icehaven

Quote from: SteK on February 21, 2020, 11:18:31 AM

It's very good, has a few other fans on here too. I've got about half of the last episode left to watch and I'm very sad there won't be any more, I'll miss it.

dissolute ocelot

Orphée (1950) is very pretty, but fuck knows what it means. I've no idea if Black Orpheus qualifies, as it's ambiguous if they're dead or not, but it's good too.

One of the more obscure films about people returning from the grave to sort things out in a non-scary way is Beyond Tomorrow (aka Beyond Christmas) where an elderly ghost teaches a singing cowboy the true meaning of Xmas. Enjoyable enough (I guess you're getting close to It's A Wonderful Life/Bishop's Wife territory though).

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on February 21, 2020, 10:29:32 AM
Heaven Can Wait. That's the Beattie one. Used to get it mixed up with Heaven's Gate
Which is a remake of Here Comes Mr Jordan.

SteK

Quote from: icehaven on February 21, 2020, 07:48:29 AM

Started, finding it a bit whimsical so far, not really the deep thinking 'whats is it all about' type thing I'm after....

I'll stick with it though.....

Brundle-Fly

Always (1989) Dir. Spielberg.  Starring Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Audrey Hepburn in her last role.

QDRPHNC

oy vey

Quote from: SteK on February 21, 2020, 11:18:31 AM

You lucky sod. Stick with it, tis forking great. The twee style is... eh better not spoil it.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on February 21, 2020, 08:41:12 AM

I remember liking this too (haven't seen it since I was a teenager, mind you). I remember it being a suitably bleak look at the afterlife with less schmaltz than you'd expect, and yeah, Tom Waits is in it. I've since heard it is actually shite, though, and reprehensible also. So I'll have to rewatch to decide.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on February 21, 2020, 10:44:21 AM
A Matter of Life and Death, just something I really like about that vision of the afterlife:

I was gonna mention that. Absolutely stunning film.

Dead Like Me was good, of course. Bit dark.

The Good Place, recommend above, is obviously the single best show about this topic. Ah, hold on...

Quote from: SteK on February 21, 2020, 06:11:13 PM
Started, finding it a bit whimsical so far, not really the deep thinking 'whats is it all about' type thing I'm after....

I'll stick with it though.....

Well it's basically a funny, four-year-long philosophy lecture, so it is more "what's it all about" than almost any other TV show ever made.