Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good Movies/Telly about Afterlife

Started by SteK, February 20, 2020, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

(Beetlejuice, of course, though decidedly not a philosophical one, that.)

phantom_power

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 22, 2020, 02:48:44 AM
I remember liking this too (haven't seen it since I was a teenager, mind you). I remember it being a suitably bleak look at the afterlife with less schmaltz than you'd expect, and yeah, Tom Waits is in it. I've since heard it is actually shite, though, and reprehensible also. So I'll have to rewatch to decide.

Who says it is shite and reprehensible?

Bence Fekete

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 22, 2020, 12:14:09 AM
Enter the Void?

Based on the Tibetan book of the Dead. Bloke gets shot in Tokyo cues 2 hours of Gaspar Noe spinning around in interesting ways to mimic the various stages of the after-death. Not your most conventional take on things but full of interesting ideas about what a fracturing, semi-aware consciousness might be like. Or how you might convey something like that cinematically.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

phantom_power

Who can take a rainbow (who can take a rainbow)
Wrap it in a sigh (wrap it in a sigh)
Soak it in the sun and make a groovy lemon pie...

Icehaven

Quote from: SteK on February 21, 2020, 06:11:13 PM
Started, finding it a bit whimsical so far, not really the deep thinking 'whats is it all about' type thing I'm after....

I'll stick with it though.....

Quote from: Mister Six on February 22, 2020, 05:41:09 AM

The Good Place, recommend above, is obviously the single best show about this topic. Ah, hold on...

Well it's basically a funny, four-year-long philosophy lecture, so it is more "what's it all about" than almost any other TV show ever made.

Yes this absolutely, stick with it, it doesn't take too long to get to the deeper stuff. Again it's hard to explain without spoilering anything but it definitely has bucketloads of what's-it-all-about.

SteK

Quote from: icehaven on February 24, 2020, 07:42:51 PM

Yes this absolutely, stick with it, it doesn't take too long to get to the deeper stuff. Again it's hard to explain without spoilering anything but it definitely has bucketloads of what's-it-all-about.

Partly, Ted Danson is still Sam Malone for me, but I'll keep going. I'd decided Sick Of It was shit on first view bit now I love it so I can change..

Icehaven

Quote from: SteK on February 24, 2020, 08:06:12 PM
Partly, Ted Danson is still Sam Malone for me, but I'll keep going. I'd decided Sick Of It was shit on first view bit now I love it so I can change..

I hear you, they're showing Cheers on C4 in the mornings at the moment, which I've been watching while getting ready for work, then immediately after watching this last series of The Good Place on my phone on the bus on the way to work, so my mornings have been a veritable Dansonfest.

The time is right for Danson in the street.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Flatliners? I suppose it's more purgatory than heaven though.

SteK

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 28, 2020, 02:38:22 PM
Flatliners? I suppose it's more purgatory than heaven though.

What the one with Dennis Quaid in  - got it - Dreamscape!

That might be worth a grab...

Ant Farm Keyboard

The 2018 show Forever (Maya Rudolph, Fred Armisen).

All Surrogate

To the supernormal cinematographer, the ghost was a spiritual radium in decay, which could stain photographic film. It lived in the land of the dead. "Hive"Maker wrote that he imagined this to be a place of dense vegetation where the souls of the dead lived in the form of small floating lights. "Hive"Maker believed that some day these lights would swarm into our world to join the living.

Possibly good, certainly strange.

thenoise

on the other hand:

Pasolini's The Canterbury Tales has an absolutely rip-roaring depiction of Hell, straight out of Bosch.

'This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse', the second film by Brazilian horror icon Coffin Joe, also has a wonderful sequence in Hell.

greenman

Oft cab mentioned Wings of Fame with O'tool and Firth, an afterlife with celebs exist in a hotel and there rooms get progressively worse as their fame on earth declines before being evicted. Maybe doesn't quite live up to the concept but I think worth a watch, its on Youtube in pieces.

Mister Six

Hm, that sounds a bit like Coco, mentioned upthread.

Do digital afterlives count? There's a Black Mirror episode about that, although as the revelation of what's going on is a minor twist in the first act, I'll hide the title:
Spoiler alert
it's San Junipero
[close]

A digital afterlife is also the basis for Upload, an upcoming sitcom from Parks & Rec creator Greg Daniels. Trailer here. Looks a bit naff, mind you.

There was a film of Sartre's No Exit in the 1960s, but I've never seen it.

The Vic and Bob version of Randall and Hopkirk: Deceased had some rather odd visions of the afterlife in it, although only in a few episodes. The one with Paul Whitehouse as a psychopathic ghost gangster being the one that stands out.

Supernatural featured visions of Hell (initially a black void with the souls of the damned strung up with chains and hooks for eternity; later an endless queue for nothing), Purgatory (an eerie forest where souls are hunted by monsters) and Heaven (each soul exists in the happiest moment of their time on Earth looped over and over). I can't remember the episodes but could have a stab at looking them up if you want.

Deffords

Quote from: Mister Six on March 20, 2020, 01:35:23 PM

A digital afterlife is also the basis for Upload, an upcoming sitcom from Parks & Rec creator Greg Daniels. Trailer here.he happiest moment of their time on Earth looped over and over). I can't remember the episodes but could have a stab at looking them up if you want.

ookey... let's try it on May 1

Mister Six

You mean Upload, not Supernatural, right? Or do you want me to dig up the relevant episodes of the latter?

Quote from: Mister Six on March 20, 2020, 01:35:23 PM
A digital afterlife is also the basis for Upload, an upcoming sitcom from Parks & Rec creator Greg Daniels. Trailer here. Looks a bit naff, mind you.
A visual effects heavy single camera sitcom about the afterlife, from a Parks and Recreation bigwig. Whatever gave him that idea?